PDA

View Full Version : Eastman MD 615blu

Freddyfingers
Oct-21-2016, 7:49am
Hi all. I have searched here for answers on this and have not found what I was after, so I am posting the question. A while back I saw a Eastman md 615 in blue. I thought it was a great looking instrument , and my wife loves blue instruments.(. Makes it easier to sneak into the house) I am trying to justify a possible purchase of the few I have seen for sale. From what I have read here, the Loar 600, that I own with a Cumberland and k and k sounds and plays about as well as a Eastman 615. But there is a price difference between these two. Loars around 800 or so new and Eastman around 1200. The few blue eastmans I have seen used sold from 1050 to current asking prices of 1350, and that's used , so I don't know what they cost new . What am I missing between the Loar 600 and the standard model 615 price difference, is it the installed pick up that comes in the 615? And is the blue version so much more because it's blue? Or are there differences I am not seeing? I ask as i am considering selling off a ric 360 12 to purchase a blue Eastman.

Folkmusician.com
Oct-21-2016, 7:36pm
Hi Freddy,

You are right in thinking that these mandolins are similar. Especially with your upgrades on the LM-600. The LM-600 is a great value. They can be a little rough around the edges, but that doesn't hurt the tone. Playability is based mostly on setup, so a well setup LM-600 plays as well as a well setup Eastman MD615.

Eastman's have good overall construction and fit and finish. The Eastman has a cast tailpiece, comes with a higher grade case and has a lifetime warranty. And of course, the Pickup. If you add all of these things up, the price difference isn't that far off between them, though the 615 still comes at a premium. I believe it is worth the money, but it just depends on what you are looking for in a mandolin. Now as for Blue, well, that will be a very personal choice, and there are not many blue mandolins that fall in these ranges. If you like the Blue, The Eastman is probably the best choice without spending quite a bit more. :)

The retail price for a new MD615 (blue or otherwise) should be $1675, with the street price $1333.

Freddyfingers
Oct-21-2016, 8:44pm
Thanks for the info! It helps a lot. My loar was set up by Cumberland when they installed the pickups and bridge. So it plays well. I am struck by the unique example of the blue Eastman. I am trying to justify paying the price for basically a blue mandolin. If the base is apples and apples. At the same time, I chose a certain Gretsch guitar I have because it was blue. So color can make a difference to those that like it.

Northwest Steve
Oct-22-2016, 10:18am
Just a few thoughts and they might not be worth much, But, for the price you are looking at there are used Summit's, Morris and Bulldog among others in your price range. Show me an Eastman 615 that sounds like this -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dh0YcYFUEdc&feature=youtu.be
In A style there are Collings, Summit, Silverangel, Flatiron's, Pava and others in that price range. I know they are not blue but there are some terrific mandolins available at fair prices right now.

My second thought would be to contact Sonny Morris he is in Oregon and build some nice mandolins and they are very reasonable. His F5's are in the $1500 to 1600 range. You might contact him and see if he would build you a blue one to your specs? Here is some contact information -
https://www.facebook.com/MorrisMandolins

Good luck in the search.

Freddyfingers
Oct-22-2016, 11:00am
Thanks for the input. I am seeing that I am not upgrading a mandolin as much as getting a color. Deep down I would prefer a better mandolin. But all the research shows tha even used I am looking at 2000 and up. I will look into what you mentioned and check out the website. I really should just sell off my ric, get some more dough and buy a decent used mando.

lenf12
Oct-23-2016, 8:17am
For your viewing pleasure:

Len B.
Clearwater, FL

Freddyfingers
Oct-23-2016, 8:59am
Very nice! I just looked up Rigel. The A is almost approachable for me if I save a bit.

Br1ck
Oct-25-2016, 11:31am
Thanks for the input. I am seeing that I am not upgrading a mandolin as much as getting a color. Deep down I would prefer a better mandolin. But all the research shows tha even used I am looking at 2000 and up. I will look into what you mentioned and check out the website. I really should just sell off my ric, get some more dough and buy a decent used mando.

Maybe you need two grand for an f style, but if what you really want is a good instrument, you can do that in the $1000-1500 range in an A style. What I noticed when I made the jump was good tone on both the E and G strings. The tone on my Eastman was not as rich on the G nor as thick on the E. There is a real difference that should quickly have you forgetting about aesthetics.

Do this and even if you still lust for an f style, you will have an instrument that sounds good while you save and you can sell for what you paid when you find a mandolin that ticks all your boxes.

Freddyfingers
Oct-27-2016, 6:02am
Thank for lol the tips! I search every few days to see what's out there. I am a firm believer in playing before buying, especially if you haven't played a certain grade or brand. So I am also looking into what mandolin shops I can go o to try as many as possible.