PDA

View Full Version : Need info about my Alvarez

dburr
May-27-2005, 11:14am
I need some help identifying what model my Alvarez is.

Here's what I know:
- I bought it new in 94'. #Not sure what the manufacture date is.
- "F" style
- Solid top
- Carved scroll
- Serial number is 089392 (found on a sticker on the back of the headstock)
- Pamphlet in case indicates St Louis Music, Co. is more than likely the distributer.
- There's also a card dated 5/26/94 stating inspected and approved by Alvarez quality control
- The tuners were junk when I bought it new, so I had new ones installed.

I'll try to post some pics. #What's it worth if I were to sell it?

dburr
May-27-2005, 11:27am
Here's a picture from the front.

dburr
May-27-2005, 11:34am
Headstock (front)

dburr
May-27-2005, 11:35am
Headstock (back)

dburr
May-27-2005, 11:42am
Scroll (front)

fatt-dad
May-27-2005, 12:41pm
Dear dburr,

It is likely a real nice mandolin made with solid woods. It is not likely a Japanese-vintage instrument, but I'm note sure whether it's Korean (most likely) or Chinese. St. Louis Music dreamed up the instrument name "Alvarez", so you are correct they are the importer. What they did is enter into agreement(s) with Asian instrument builders to brand their instruments "Alverez". Better minds than mine will tell you who may have built your mandolin.

Can tell you about the cost. Likely more than $500.00. Maybe as much as $750.00, but the market is somewhat soft right now. You best bet on selling is to find someone who has it in their hand and just loves it. You probably wont do all that well on ebay, but who knows?

Good luck.

f-d

dburr
May-27-2005, 3:18pm
Thanks for the info fatt-dad. That's about the price range I was guessing.

Any guess as to what the model number is? It has no model designation anywhere on the instrument that I can find.

Respectfully,
David

Don
May-27-2005, 7:08pm
Model number is A800.Would most likely be made in Korea.Used value is likely to be in the $350-$500 range.Just my opinion.
Don.

dburr
May-28-2005, 10:31am
Thanks for the info Don and f-d. Appreciate the help.

Respectfully,
David

8ch(pl)
May-28-2005, 9:11pm
I believe these were made in the Samick plant in korea.