PDA

View Full Version : Sumi vs gibson

varmonter
Oct-17-2016, 9:01pm
First off i don't want this to turn into a pac rim vs conus debate..

I would love honest opinions on both mandolins.

I have heard nothing but good reports on sumi f5 mandolins..Great build
Great sound..Gibson as well... at least the harvey signed ones are touted here to be the best
Gibson has turned out since 1923..
So price wise they are competitive with each other gibsons being a bit more pricey...I have listened to clips of
ferns and f5g and custom shop gibsons..I have listened to one clip
i found on youtube of a sumi f5 ..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSQMgwmvKhU

this is more or less the tone i am looking for which is very gibsonesque.
Anyone out there owned played both..
are sumi f5 consistant?? will they all sound close to this clip??
i like the idea of 3-500 year old red spruce as a top wood..(like the old pre war adi tops)
But I also like the gibson name..am i buying a name??
Going to be buying a new to me higher end mandolin soon trying to do my research now...

Thanks

Bernie Daniel
Oct-18-2016, 12:11pm
First off i don't want this to turn into a pac rim vs conus debate..

I would love honest opinions on both mandolins.

I have heard nothing but good reports on sumi f5 mandolins..Great build
Great sound..Gibson as well... at least the harvey signed ones are touted here to be the best
Gibson has turned out since 1923..
So price wise they are competitive with each other gibsons being a bit more pricey...I have listened to clips of
ferns and f5g and custom shop gibsons..I have listened to one clip
i found on youtube of a sumi f5 ..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSQMgwmvKhU

this is more or less the tone i am looking for which is very gibsonesque.
Anyone out there owned played both..
are sumi f5 consistant?? will they all sound close to this clip??
i like the idea of 3-500 year old red spruce as a top wood..(like the old pre war adi tops)
But I also like the gibson name..am i buying a name??
Going to be buying a new to me higher end mandolin soon trying to do my research now...

Thanks

extracted from your post: "I have heard nothing but good reports on sumi f5 mandolins..Great build...Great sound..Gibson as well... price wise they are competitive with each other gibsons being a bit more pricey.......this is more or less the tone i am looking for.... very gibsonesque."

So, clearly you want a Gibson sound and the two mandolins are competitive price wise -- so your obvious choice is a Gibson since it will certainly sound Gibsonesque (by definition)?

Nothing against the Sumi (great reputation ) but obviously your chances of find a deal on a Gibson are MUCH greater than for a Sumi because there's so few of those around.

Finally if you decided to trade up or sell I think you are in better shape trying to move a Gibson

My two cents :mandosmiley:

George R. Lane
Oct-18-2016, 12:19pm
Bernie is right, the Gibson will hold its' value better than the Sumi. Now if you think the Sumi will be a keeper and you like the tone, then buy it.

Ivan Kelsall
Oct-19-2016, 1:25am
The ONLY way that you will be able to tell which suits you,is to play both (if you can). No 2 mandolins, even from the same builder will sound ''the same'',so the chances of any Sumi that you find sounding 'exactly like' the one in the clip is a tad remote - however ......! Also,don't overlook any other make of mandolin within your price range. There are so many high quality / good sounding ones these days,that to limit your choice isn't a good idea. Like you,i have personal favourites,but,if i found a superb sounding mandolin by another maker,one that sounded 'more pleasing to me',that's the one i'd go for.

George Lane is however correct. A Gibson mandolin will probably hold it's value more that most others,even ones that don't sound so good. Take your time in making your choice & don't be swayed by the 'name',it's not always a guarantee of quality of sound,
Ivan;)

DataNick
Oct-19-2016, 2:41am
As Ivan said, you gotta play em!....you're spinning your wheels with the comparison threads; hop a plane, train, or bus, go to Nashville and visit Carter's, Gruhns, etc. and play'em in your price range till you find YOUR keeper...otherwise you're flipping a coin; maybe you get lucky, maybe you don't...YMMV

Astro
Oct-19-2016, 4:09pm
I like Gibson's. So, Sumi :grin:

dhergert
Oct-21-2016, 10:29pm
As just about everyone has said, hearing and playing them in person is the only way to judge this. There are sound-character related qualities that you can't hear on recordings. Plus, any recordings you listen to are going to be sound-flavored by the recording hardware that was used -- probably sound-flavored unintentionally, but it always happens.

Not sure of your location, but if you provide it I'm sure people can identify places to go to try these instruments out that are as close to you as possible.

Lastly, if you're really leaning toward either name, for whatever reasons, you owe yourself the chance to try them out and compare them before you buy. It's no fun being disappointed about your decision 6 months down the road.

Good luck with your search!

:mandosmiley:

-- Don

varmonter
Oct-31-2016, 6:26pm
well i live in vermont ..closest high end mandolin store to me is in/around boston..montreal is a nightmare customs wise so north of
the border is out of the question for me. The music emporium in lexington ma seems to have a good selection of.collings northfields and various others. not many gibsons though .i have been down once. I am waiting for vw to buy back my diesel jetta..going to apply some of that to a new to me mandolin. I suppose i could foot the plane fare to tenn to just immerse myself in mandolins for a few days..i would think i would also have to bring my wife...maybe i could convince her not to go..:)) it would be cheaper..and i could have an uninterrupted journey.:confused:
I do like gibsons just wondering about their consistency..i have read (here) anything signed by dave harvey is pretty good these days..

DataNick
Oct-31-2016, 10:25pm
varmonter,

If I were you, I'd take the train down to Nashville and spend 2 days between Carter's/Grunhs....you're sure to find what you're looking for that way....Good Luck, and hope you find the one!

varmonter
Nov-01-2016, 2:29am
i have looked at carters and gruhns web sites they have alot of high end 10k plus instruments..I need a 5-6 k instrument..which they have also,,Are there any other good stores in the nashville area that i could find a good mandolin. I may just do that I can get a round trip flight for around 300 if i book a couple months ahead...ahh you got my wheels turning ..a road trip!!:cool:

DataNick
Nov-01-2016, 9:20am
Check their sites carefully as they do have several in your range, there's also the component of onsite cash negotiation, as you might be able to walk out the door with a listed $8k mandolin for $6k...their prices are inflated to begin with and cash speaks volumes in this economy; that really is the best way to do it, and I'm sure between the 2 stores you'll find what you're looking for.

Eric F.
Nov-02-2016, 10:14am
Are there any other good stores in the nashville area that i could find a good mandolin.

Cotten Music Center in Nashville won't have as many as Carter or Gruhn, but they should have something in your price range. I've always liked the people there. About 20 miles out of town you'll find Artisan Guitars, which carries Collings mandolins.