PDA

View Full Version : Carlo-Salavdo (New York) Mandolin

TomR
Oct-11-2016, 4:15pm
Does anyone have any information about Carlo-Salavdo mandolins. I picked one up at an estate sale but I can't find any information about them on the web. The inner label only has 'Carlo-Salavdo' with 'New York' printed underneath the name. There are 5 small stars or something else (dots, asterisks?) at the top above the name. It's in good condition and my wife has been playing it. It looks like it has been played a lot with normal neck wear, and it stays in tune nicely. May be mahogany, not sure.

Any information will be more than I know about it now.

Thanks for your help.

allenhopkins
Oct-11-2016, 4:29pm
Without your posting pictures, not going to get too much info. Googling various permutations of "Carlo Salvado" comes up empty. Many mandolins were made by recognizable manufacturers, for individual music stores, musician/distributors, etc., and labeled for those sellers. The mandolins may be identifiable by sight, due to definitive characteristics, even if not identifiable by label.

What kind of mandolin is it -- bowl-back, flat-back, carved, canted or flat top? There were many Italian luthiers working in NYCity late-19th-early-20th centuries; quite a number of (usually bowl-back) mandolins built there.

Again, we'd need to see the instrument to provide even SWAGs (Scientific Wild-As*ed Guesses).

TomR
Oct-11-2016, 7:54pm
Thank you, I will get some pictures posted. It is a flat-back, canted a bit on top with like a reverse scroll.

Jim Garber
Oct-11-2016, 8:02pm
I think you are talking about Carlo Salaydo. I have these pics in my files and it looks like it was made by Regal or Kay. It is possible the label is from a retailer who ordered these for his store. Does this one resemble yours, TomR?

brunello97
Oct-11-2016, 9:13pm
I think you are talking about Carlo Salaydo. I have these pics in my files and it looks like it was made by Regal or Kay. It is possible the label is from a retailer who ordered these for his store. Does this one resemble yours, TomR?

Rimsky-Salayado?

Mick

Jim Garber
Oct-11-2016, 10:11pm
Rimsky-Salayado?

Да, г-н Брунелло!

TomR
Oct-12-2016, 9:13am
Thank you for your replies. I am attaching some pictures, if I do this right. I had a fellow who knows something about instrument structures take a look at it and he says that some inner bracing is missing, thus the top is a little concave. I'm going to get that repaired plus a few other things he suggested.

Jim Garber
Oct-12-2016, 9:37am
That is a very common reverse-scroll mandolin made by Regal under many brand names. As I guessed above, Salaydo was probably a retailer or distributor who bought from manufacturers and put his company label inside. I believe that the tuners are newish ones and not original.

BTW I would use light gauge strings on this.

TomR
Oct-12-2016, 12:06pm
Thank you for the information, very helpful. Would you happen to know about when it could have been made?

Jim Garber
Oct-12-2016, 1:22pm
The reverse scroll design was patented by Frank Kordick (president of Regal) in 1914. So these were made and sold with some variations from around 1913 probably into the 1930s. They appear in many distributor catalogs.

BTW one of the features "eliminated many of the internal brace supports" according to Bob Carlin, Regal Musical Instruments, 1895-1955.

TomR
Oct-12-2016, 2:56pm
The fellow who took a look at the mandolin felt some clue that he thought supported braces. But with this information, will definitely want to look at that farther and make sure a brace was used (or not). Thanks again, and knowing it is a Regal has opened up tons of info on the web.