PDA

View Full Version : Mandolin pick comparison (BC, I-Tone, Wegen, Primetone, Pro Plec)

keithb
Oct-10-2016, 4:53pm
A quick comparison:

VMtndoDxjBM

Recorded on my phone, no processing other than adding titles and shortening the time between picks.

Table of contents:

Mandolin info: 0:00
BlueChip CT55: 0:14
I-Tone 41: 1:00
Wegen TF140: 1:48
Dunlop 513 Primetone 1.5mm: 2:38
D'Andrea Pro Plec 346: 3:29
Fender 346 Heavy: 4:22
Pick size comparison: 5:13

The difference between picks seems greater to me in person than in the video, but that may just be internal biases!

sblock
Oct-10-2016, 5:18pm
Unfortunately, the tiny microphone found in a cell phone is not good enough to pick up the subtle differences among these picks. One requires better recording conditions, I'm afraid. But thanks for going to all that trouble, anyway!

keithb
Oct-10-2016, 6:46pm
Unfortunately, the tiny microphone found in a cell phone is not good enough to pick up the subtle differences among these picks. One requires better recording conditions, I'm afraid. But thanks for going to all that trouble, anyway!

I do have "better" microphones at my disposal, but I hoped the phone mic would provide a familiar baseline for the listener.

Maybe I'll do another version with a real mic.

Jim Garber
Oct-10-2016, 7:44pm
I think the beard muffles the sound waves. Can you record with and without the beard? :)

pops1
Oct-10-2016, 10:08pm
I thought a couple were less bright than others, but that's about all the difference I could hear. The I-Tone was one of the deader sounding picks.

Bertram Henze
Oct-11-2016, 11:48am
I'd choose the BC over the others in the set because it's got the brightest and most crisp sound. There is nothing remarkable about the I-Tone that makes it stand out.

That said, I'd still choose the 0.72 Clayton Ultem from outside the set over the BC because it's brighter still :whistling:

Kris N
Oct-11-2016, 12:12pm
Thanks for this! There were two picks I’ve not had a chance to try myself, and this was a great way to “test them out.”

I could hear the subtle differences in each, but would definitely suggest recording with a better mic to really round out the sound.

BC is definitely bright and crisp. I didn’t think the I-Tone was anything special, but it was played after a BC. A bit unfair. :) The others sounded exactly like when I play them at home.

Props on the killer beard!

keithb
Oct-11-2016, 12:47pm
I'll definitely do another comparison with a different mic

Chughes423
Oct-11-2016, 12:52pm
The Fender was very bright. Even though I play that same Primetone more I believe the Fender and BC are very close. The Wegen sounds just like it does on my Eastman.

Willie Poole
Oct-12-2016, 11:13am
I agree that the fender and the BC sound almost the same...for my taste the Prim tone was what I liked the best but I don`t like a more treble sound...If a person wants more volume then the Blue chip or the Fender would be a choice, the Wegen sounded softer also but nice....Since I do most of my playing through a sound system I go for the softer sound and I can always tweak the EQ on the mixer to get what i want as far as tone and loudness..

Thanks taking the time to do all of this but as stated above I am not sure it will persuade anyone to change picks...

Willie

CES
Oct-12-2016, 3:34pm
Thanks for taking the time to record and post! I agree, the I-Tone didn't impress, but, of course, how a pick feels and glides is big for me, so I may try one . I've played all the others. I'm a BC and Wegen guy of late, but the others are all good picks. I played a Fender Heavy as my first foray into heavier picks, and stuck with them for years until I got some TF 140s for Christmas one year. The Fenders really are bright sounding picks with good volume. Not bad for 35 cents!