PDA

View Full Version : 1930's The Gibson Mandolin on ebay

your_diamond
Oct-03-2016, 10:32pm
Does this look correct for a 1930's gibson? http://r.ebay.com/pFZM6o

grassrootphilosopher
Oct-04-2016, 1:57am
No, this is no "real" Gibson. It looks more like a Kalamazoo (made by Gibson though). The giveaway is the headstock and the type of pickguard glued on the top of the mandolin. I am not knowledgable when it comes to Gibson made "off brands" like Kalamazoo, Recording King etc. Those instruments can be very good. Yet they are certainly worth a lot less than a "real" Gibson.

your_diamond
Oct-04-2016, 8:44am
I'm not as well versed in post-Loar Gibson Mandolins as I am in pre-Loar's but that headstock logo and that boat paddle shaped headstock didn't look quite right to me. Also, the Kalamazoo branded Mandolins I have seen have round sound holes and slightly pointed headstocks.

...of interest, this is the only ebay auction with a bid, when I searched for a Gibson Mandolin. Not many auctions on ebay these days

William Smith
Oct-04-2016, 8:51am
Does this look correct for a 1930's gibson? http://r.ebay.com/pFZM6o

Yes I believe its a early 30's Gibson C-1, Gibson Budget Depression era Mandolin with painted on pickguard. It is a Gibson

Chris Daniels
Oct-04-2016, 9:03am
No, this is no "real" Gibson. It looks more like a Kalamazoo (made by Gibson though). The giveaway is the headstock and the type of pickguard glued on the top of the mandolin. I am not knowledgable when it comes to Gibson made "off brands" like Kalamazoo, Recording King etc. Those instruments can be very good. Yet they are certainly worth a lot less than a "real" Gibson.

Actually looks like a Gibson C-1 to me. Here's a Cafe thread about them with a pic of a nearly identical instrument:

http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/showthread.php?23629-Gibson-C1

C.

your_diamond
Oct-04-2016, 9:55am
So this isn't a carved topped instrument (that Gibson is so famous for). Not sure this flat top will have the sound I'm looking for. Guess I will save my money for a Gibson A-0 or A-JR.

Timbofood
Oct-04-2016, 10:49am
I am impressed with the pictures being shot in the car!
There is something a little odd about that to me but, I agree, C-1 sounds right.

MikeEdgerton
Oct-04-2016, 11:08am
It's a Gibson C-1 as someone else has already posted. The painted on pickguard is the tell-tale mark.

dustyamps
Oct-04-2016, 11:15am
First C-1 I've seen with binding on the backside. I believe it was MikeE that said the only thing consistent with Gibson was their inconsistency.

Jeff Mando
Oct-04-2016, 2:41pm
Sold for $380 with free shipping. Seems pretty cheap, even for a budget model 1930's Gibson...

has a certain 'coolness factor' that a similarly priced Pac-rim instrument lacks, IMHO :cool:

Timbofood
Oct-04-2016, 3:45pm
"Cool factor" is pretty high on that, in my opinion. I paid $125 for my KM-11 in 1973 (?) which was pretty much fair market at that time. I still wish I had that! It had "Cool Factor" as far as I'm concerned. I'd have kept every one I ever bought if I hadn't needed to sell to get the next one.

"Life's tough, even tougher when you're stupid." John Wayne

MikeEdgerton
Oct-04-2016, 6:15pm
First C-1 I've seen with binding on the backside. I believe it was MikeE that said the only thing consistent with Gibson was their inconsistency.

I think that's true but I wasn't the one that said it :cool:

Bernie Daniel
Oct-11-2016, 9:21pm
I think that's true but I wasn't the one that said it :cool:

I never said MOST of the things I said. -- Y. Berra