PDA

View Full Version : My J Bovier

mandobassman
Oct-02-2016, 6:18pm
I've been wanting to do this for quite a while. I've had the mandolin for nearly four years now but haven't taken any decent photos. Recently, while visiting family in Maine, I had the opportunity with some nice outdoor lighting, so I thought I'd share them. This is just a few. The mandolin is a 2013 A5. A couple of years ago Jeff added the A5 Tradition to the lineup, so this model is what is now called the A5 Special.

Chris Daniels
Oct-02-2016, 7:02pm
Nice! There's just something about good outdoor lighting that brings out the best in a glossy mandolin. Maybe it's the reflection of the trees. :cool:

Plus, I'm a sucker for Orricos (obviously).

C.

texaspaul
Oct-02-2016, 7:42pm
Hi Larry, nice. Is your A5 an X braced?
I had one but don't remember the year mine was either a 2013 or 2014. I now have a 2015 F5T that Jeff customized for me and used my Grandgather's name as the SS#.
The A5 had a sweet balanced tone, the F5 a little more punch and drive which was my request to Jeff.

mandobassman
Oct-02-2016, 7:52pm
He discontinued the X braced model in 2012. That was actually the model I was interested in. Jeff told me about the new builders that were making his mandolins for 2013 and the A5 I bought was actually the very first one made by the new builders. He assured me that it was better than his previous models and I have not been disappointed. Fantastic tone. Plenty of volume. And a breeze to play.

CWRoyds
Oct-02-2016, 11:23pm
Beautiful mandolin. I love my F5 Special. Great tone and super easy to play. The only mandolins I have played that beat it for me were twice the price. I do admit to lusting after a Northfield since I played a few recently, but for now my JB F5S is awesome.

mandobassman
Oct-04-2016, 4:04pm
Beautiful mandolin. I love my F5 Special. Great tone and super easy to play. The only mandolins I have played that beat it for me were twice the price. I do admit to lusting after a Northfield since I played a few recently, but for now my JB F5S is awesome.

Yeah, I know what you mean. I've been admiring that Northfield Model M. But I really love the tone from this JB.

mandobassman
Oct-04-2016, 4:11pm
Plus, I'm a sucker for Orricos (obviously).

I had always wanted a Orricco tailpiece, so when one came up in the Classifieds for around $30 cheaper than they sell for new, I jumped on it. I love the way it looks and it actually changed the tone a bit, which I wasn't expecting. Really brought out the midrange tones more.