PDA

View Full Version : Sam Bush free show in Long's Park Lancaster

man doh
May-26-2005, 7:56am
One of the gems of Central Pa is the free sunday night shows at long's park in Lancaster, Pa. #A few years ago they had Nickel Creek. #This year we got Sam.
click here (http://www.longspark.org/musicschedule.html)

June 5th

man doh
May-26-2005, 7:56am
oh and Crooked Still the next week. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/laugh.gif

angrymandolinist
May-26-2005, 8:08am
Wow, almost literally in my back yard. I'm going!

man doh
May-26-2005, 8:14am
Skipp where you at?

Onesound
May-26-2005, 11:40am
No way I'm gonna miss the Long's Park show. And it's free, too! #Saw Nickle Creek there two years ago and they were phenomenal. #And Dervish is there in July. Another awesome group! http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif

angrymandolinist
May-26-2005, 11:56am
I'm around Ephrata.

man doh
Jun-02-2005, 4:27pm
Shameless bump to support a FREE show in good old Pennsylvania. and scott has a link on the main page under Sam Bush.

Steve-in-PA
Jun-02-2005, 9:39pm
I just posted a reminder of this free show under the Newgrass discussion thread a few days ago. I didn't see it was already posted here.. Great!!! All the Lancaster locals we'll have to try to stay in touch for some pickin. I live just outside of Hershey.

Steve

Tennessee Jed
Jun-03-2005, 5:38pm
I'm in Lititz. I'll be there. Maybe we should arrange to meet at a certain time and place at the park. I don't meet many mando players in Lancaster. Any interest?

Evets
Jun-03-2005, 11:28pm
I'm in Reamstown. I'm definately going. Also, there's a fiddlers picnic and pig roast, sponsored by the Cocalico Jammers, in Shoeneck on the 12th

angrymandolinist
Jun-03-2005, 11:37pm
Geez Evets, we should jam sometime. I'm technically in Stevens/Reamstown.

Evets
Jun-04-2005, 7:41am
Ya know, If we all show up behind the stage and start pickin, maybe Sam would come out and jam with us! At least all us locals could meet.

- Steve @ 336-7067

Tennessee Jed
Jun-06-2005, 5:41pm
This was a great show. I met "Evets" there. I saw Sam after the show and he autographed my mandolin.

Onesound
Jun-07-2005, 7:23am
Good show, but not enough mandolin to suit me. Bush is comercially smart by playing a wide range of musical styles that appeal to broad audence, but leaves the more traditionalists (like me) feeling a little too neglected.

newbreedbrian
Jun-07-2005, 8:29am
the traditional stuff is way more up my alley, but i mean come on look who you're talking about here. not a slight against sam bush in the least, he's one of my favorite mandolin players. but when has he ever tried to please traditionalists? im pretty sure NGR received a scowl or two in their day http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

bsimmers
Jun-07-2005, 9:52am
WOW!!! A short time ago, there was some good stuff written here about playing with emotion. EMOTION?!!! Go see SAM BUSH!! Nothing else needs to be said about playing with emotion. What a show. I consider myself a traditional player for the most part. I play some progressive stuff. I love NGR stuff. And I guess most people would not consider Sam's show Sunday night to be bluegrass. I don't know. But, I loved every minute of it. I never saw playing with so much energy and emotion by one musician.....and for 2 solid hours. They were all good, but Sam is definitely the driving force. Exceptional music, arrangements, vocals, and playing. Hats off to Sam Bush for creating his own stuff, his own way. He is a mandolin/fiddle artiste who has pushed the envelope, and not afraid to go Howlin' at the Moon!!!

Steve-in-PA
Jun-07-2005, 12:35pm
I was at the show to and it was just incredible!! There were people sitting/standing around me who never heard of Sam before and they were just blown away. I've seen Sam about a dozen times and he always plays with so much heart and emotion. He's also a very friendly person and so easy to talk to. I've met him almost every time I've gone to see him. Mostly met him by accident because he was hanging out in a lobby or walking around before or after the show/festival. He played my Yellowstone Sunday after the soundcheck. I was standing behind the amphitheatre playing and waiting to meet some pickers from the Cafe and Sam came out the back door looked over, saw me picking and walked over and starting BSin. There's not too many musicians of his caliber that would do that. At least from my experience!! He's quite an inspiration to me!
#He had nothing but good things to say about Bruce Weber and Sound to Earth.
#I did meet Evets there and we did some pickin' If anyone else from the area wants to get together contact me and we can jam.

Steve 717-566-4736

man doh
Jun-07-2005, 12:41pm
much agreed on Sam being top notch on Sunday. and quite a crowd!! It seems to get larger and larger every year. I was some distance away from the stage but did he pull out a resonator mando for a song or two?

angrymandolinist
Jun-07-2005, 1:25pm
Didn't make it to the show, but it sounds like there'll be plenty more this summer.

Steve @ 717-335-2102 (wow, three Cafe members around here and they're all named Steve!)

Tennessee Jed
Jun-07-2005, 5:06pm
I think he played the resonator in the second tune - can't remember what is was. There were a couple of guys from work that went and the were a little apprehensive about going because they're not into bluegrass but they loved the show. Sam did play with lots of emotion. He was very personable. I was the fourth or fifth person in line to see him after the show and it took about 20 minutes for him to get to me. He had a conversation with everyone who approached him. I liked his studio recordings and now that I've seen him live on stage he's one of my favorite live performers. I was inspired and couldn't wait to get home and play (only to be disappointed at how I sounded compared to one of the greats.

Evets
Jun-07-2005, 8:32pm
Ok, all you local pickers. I had a great time at the Sam Bush show, but nobody had more fun than Sam! 'Nuff said. Especially enjoyed meeting Pa Steve and Tenn. Jed! Two fine gentlemen s'fars I can tell.I hope to do some more pickin with you both soon. Don't forget the fiddle fest/pig roast this Sunday at the Shoeneck carnival grounds 11:30 - 5:30. And then back to Longs Park for another interesting free show with "Crooked Still". You betcha!

Onesound
Jun-08-2005, 7:28am
Definately one talented guy, who can probably play most anything with strings better than almost anyone. I certainly agree that he really puts a lot of drive and energy into his performance, he sure had my foot stomp'n. One can hardly do better for a free show! My wife and I left a little early (about 9:15) as I could tell she was getting boored - oh well, guess she isn't a music lover at heart.