PDA

View Full Version : bass guitar question: tune a 4 string bass as B/E/A/D ???

kkmm
Sep-29-2016, 10:03am
I play electric bass guitar and rarely need to play the G string (:)) , pun intended).
But I really want to have the notes below the lowest E of my 4-string bass.
I am thinking about buying a bass 5-string set and install only the 4 low strings (B/E/A/D) and tune them as such. I understand that it requires to file the nut slots to fit with these larger strings and re-adjust the intonation / action (which is simple on electric bass).
Have anyone done this and if yes, do you like it ?

Nevin
Sep-29-2016, 10:30am
There should be no need to buy a five string bass. You can buy a set of strings for five string and use just the four. I would suggest getting a new nut made rather than trying to adjust the existing nut. That way, should you decide you don't like it it is easier to reverse the changes. Also expect to have to do a full set up.

PhilGox
Sep-29-2016, 11:24am
Hello,

I played bass for... many years and I tried many things without any luthier knowledge.

You can put BEAD strings without problem.
It worked very well for my bass without any setting change or nut reshaping.
So I suggest you just replace the strings and try it before you change the nut or settings.
With a bit of luck, it might be ok without doing anything else.

The B string sounds great on a bass!

Enjoy! :)

Br1ck
Sep-29-2016, 11:29am
You can also put a Hipshot D tuner on in place of the E string tuner. This will get you a low D and is very useful. You can toggle back to E any time.

Make sure your cab can work well with the lower frequencies. Some work better than others.

spufman
Sep-29-2016, 11:45am
That low B really wants a 130 string in my experience, so yes the nut will most likely need some work. I second the opinion of getting a new nut - you can optimize the spacing for your preference, in the process.

I never really warmed up to my 5er, much prefer having a Drop-D tuner on a four. But, I do go for the 'high' notes quite often, so for you it sounds like altered tuning is the ticket. Try just detuning a heavy 4 set first, to be sure.

pops1
Sep-29-2016, 12:00pm
Had a friend played a 12 string bass for decades, great sound. I would mod your bass not get a new one, no need for a wider neck of you are only going with 4 strings.

MediumMando5722
Sep-29-2016, 12:16pm
Had a friend played a 12 string bass for decades, great sound.

Was your friend Tom from Cheap Trick or dUg from King's X? :)

I agree about using a 5 string set on a 4 string. A 35" scale works better, but 34" is fine. You lose 5 useless notes from the top of the register and gain 5 really nice ones on the bottom. Definitely get the thickest B you can find. A lot of the standard sets feel like rubber bands.

If you wanna hear something pretty wild, check out Jauqo III-X. He plays a sub-contra bass tuned to C#, not quite an octave lower than a 5 string. SIT makes him a crazy looking custom string for the low C#.

pops1
Sep-29-2016, 6:50pm
Was your friend Tom from Cheap Trick or dUg from King's X? :)

Naw just another Wisconsin musician, lots of good ones here :mandosmiley:

kkmm
Oct-02-2016, 9:45am
Thanks to all replies. I got that it is OK to buy a 5 string set and use the lower 4 to tune it as BEAD (nice word isn't it).
I will keep the nut intact first. If the B string sounds good, I will modify or replace the nut.
Very curious to see how this goes.

kkmm
Oct-02-2016, 9:54am
Two days ago, I install a hard string set on one acoustic guitar and tune it one full note lower. It sounds better and warm. I play a lot of songs in Gm, F so on this guitar, the are play in Am and G ,much easier. Many other keys benefit from this low tuning too. Capo at fret#2 makes it like normal tuning.

Jeff Budz
Oct-02-2016, 9:28pm
I used to be a bass player, and had 4 strings strung up in BEAD and it worked well with no work on the nut. Sounded great and was more comfortable to me than a 5 string. I also had a spare fretless that I strung up as ADEC and that was fun as well. Give it a go!

Folkmusician.com
Oct-02-2016, 9:33pm
I have done several setups of 4 string basses with Low B strings.

It is not 100% straight forward, but nothing too bad most of the time..

Obviously you need to redo the nut. And it is best to start with a new one.
Next, the correct B string is important based on your scale length.
A lot of 4 string tailpieces will not take a low B string without drilling the hole larger. This is actually pretty common.
Depending on the bass/tailpiece, you may run into trouble intonation the B string. I have worked on basses that did not have enough adjustment range to get the intonation right without doing modifications.

Once these things are worked out, it is just your standard setup stuff.

kkmm
Oct-06-2016, 3:52pm
My bass is a starter 30" scale length, I bought it due to my small finger size. But recently I tried 34" scale and 35" scale and found not much difficulty with these full size basses.
The G string on this bass does not sound that good for some reason, the lower 3 are fine. Probably this is the reason why I always avoid playing this G string.

Can someone recommend a 5 string set for this 30" bass scale length?

I measure the string diameters and they are a tiny bit thicker than a 34" scale strings (about 0.1mm thicker, all 4 strings).

And the bridge/tail piece holes are large enough to accommodate thicker strings without any drilling required.

MediumMando5722
Oct-06-2016, 8:08pm
You're going to have a really difficult time getting a low B to sound good on a 30" scale.

Folkmusician.com
Oct-06-2016, 8:45pm
You're going to have a really difficult time getting a low B to sound good on a 30" scale.

Yes to this.

The shorter the string, the less tension to reach pitch. Not something you want with a B string. I believe you will need something like a .155 string for the low B to be correct tension. As an example, say you had a .110. This would be at about 50% of the tension you need and not really playable. You will have trouble finding a pre-made set. Heck, you are going to have trouble finding a .155 at all. :)

So use your set you have now, shift the strings down and find a .155 string for your Low B. .135 strings are readily available, but this is still not heavy enough and will be floppy.

kkmm
Oct-11-2016, 11:15pm
I guess so, .130 is for B string on a 34" scale bass. At the same tension on 30" scale it would be E ???
The current strings on my 30" bass seem slack to me, not enough tension. Probably done intentionally for a beginner/young bassist.
Anyway, last week, I just bought a 5 string bass (35" scale length) and avoid this headache. Will put the 30" one on local CL.

Folkmusician.com
Oct-12-2016, 11:11am
That sounds like the better way to go. :)