PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on 30's Gibson flat back A-00

John Rosett
Sep-27-2016, 9:36am
I'm looking at one of these for a reasonable price, but it's at a distance, so I can't play it. I've played several 30's A-1 mandolins that I really liked. Can anybody give me an idea on how these flat back mandolins sound, compared to the carved back ones?

Capt. E
Sep-28-2016, 4:36pm
What is a good price? In general, I would say no more than $700 if in very nice condition with a case. I have played a few of the 30's vintage ff hole Gibsons and owned a 1936-37 A-00, but it had a carved back. They are usually pretty good with good volume etc. Can you buy with return privilege? I was in the middle of my "exploration" stage and sold mine after 3-4 months. The buyer seemed to be happy with it. My current favorite is a close to mint 1920 A-2 that I will Never sell. (see my photo link below for photos of both instruments)

jimmy powells
Oct-02-2016, 7:30am
If sound is very important to you then you MUST play it first otherwise you'll probably be advertising it for sale within weeks (I've been there and done it many times).

Many years ago I had a 1930s Gibson Flat back with F-holes and bought it "because it was a Gibson" but quickly realised it had no carrying power at all. Yes these old Gibsons have charm (I have a 1915 F4) but when you need projection, as you do in certain situations, that mandolin you talk about won't do it.

I have a wonderful The Loar LM-700 and it it my mandolin for playing in public. VERY loud, low action, perfect intonation, great balance and I'd use it in any situation but my F4 doesn't work in sessions or bluegrass.

So depends what you need. If you are just playing at home and would love a Gibson then I suppose $600 would be about right. Maybe more.