PDA

View Full Version : Pick launching

Br1ck
Sep-26-2016, 2:33pm
I doubt I could repeat it, but yesterday I was playing on my back steps and when I finished, put my pick under the strings as always. When I let go, pick launched a good ten feet across my patio. First thought I had was good thing it wasn't a Blue Chip into ivy.

Anyone else have a pick launching story?

MediumMando5722
Sep-26-2016, 2:51pm
I just dropped one of the bridge pins into my guitar. Never launched a pick, though.

dhergert
Sep-26-2016, 4:32pm
A few years back my wife and I were playing/singing a Jazz gig with a small-big-band for a small gathering. We were in a theater on a stage made of about 16 large and heavy 4'x8'x4' blocks that were fitted tightly together on a cement slab. During warm-up, as the sax player was standing and putting a new reed on his mouthpiece, the reed went flying, did a few summersaults, and slipped end-first into the 1/8" slit between one of the center 4'x8'x4' blocks, falling deep, never to be seen again. We all laughed until the sax player announced that was his only usable reed. Fortunately there was another woodwind player -- maybe clarinet -- that had a reed that could be trimmed to fit in the sax mouthpiece, and so the gig went on.

Life happens. Best to have an extra pick.

DataNick
Sep-26-2016, 4:55pm
Lost a BC that way; waiting to enter a restaurant that had boardwalk style wooden flooring outside. After playing my mando, went to place my BC back under the strings, slipped out of my hand and made a bee-line for the approx 1/4 inch sliver between planks...didn't bat an eye to order a replacement 2 days later; oh yeah a TAD 3R 80, $50 in mizzou...

Mark Wilson
Sep-26-2016, 7:47pm
Took a time out at a jam holding my BC safely away from germs - secured lightly in corner of mouth. One short unexpected cough later and out it flew, made a half circle around the edge of the bowl and rimmed out onto the floor. Has not been in my mouth since.

MikeEdgerton
Sep-26-2016, 8:01pm
I drop picks. It's what I do.

Paul Busman
Sep-27-2016, 6:42am
Took a time out at a jam holding my BC safely away from germs - secured lightly in corner of mouth. One short unexpected cough later and out it flew, made a half circle around the edge of the bowl and rimmed out onto the floor. Has not been in my mouth since.

Coulda been worse. It could have gone the other way.

Roger Moss
Sep-27-2016, 7:21am
My picks have a tendency to dive between the cushions on the couch. On guitar they like to leap into the soundhole.

Stevo75
Sep-27-2016, 8:39am
Skip ahead to about 2:30 for the pick incident. Or watch the entire thing.

https://youtu.be/uEJSbWp9QGc

Ausdoerrt
Sep-27-2016, 8:57am
Beautiful :))

John Adrihan
Sep-27-2016, 4:39pm
That's never happened to me but this summer while playing an outdoor festival in front of just about 1000 people I threw my pic to a cute lady in the front that was dancing. You should have seen the horror on my face when I realized it was my blue chip. It cost me about a hundred dollar dinner to get it back��

Relio
Sep-28-2016, 4:55pm
That's never happened to me but this summer while playing an outdoor festival in front of just about 1000 people I threw my pic to a cute lady in the front that was dancing. You should have seen the horror on my face when I realized it was my blue chip. It cost me about a hundred dollar dinner to get it back��

LOL, I can imagine the pain of that realization. Every time I drop my BC I feel like it dives into a hiding spot, it never seems to land in plain sight.

Br1ck
Sep-28-2016, 5:09pm

Let's see, three new Bluechip picks or one used Bluechip pick and dinner with a cute lady......glad you have your priorities straight.

dhergert
Sep-28-2016, 6:02pm
Hmmm, you need to keep a pocket full of Fender Heavies for pic'ing the cute ladies like that. Then you can just eat at McDonald's.

UsuallyPickin
Sep-28-2016, 6:33pm
I have had a poorly attached tuner launch off an F 5 headstock onto a wood floor and break .............

Bill Kammerzell
Sep-28-2016, 6:46pm
Those V picks, without a doubt are the easiest to lose. Doesn't matter where. Well lit room with a painted concrete floor.

Chughes423
Sep-29-2016, 1:30pm
That video is great!