PDA

View Full Version : Collings MT owners

jose250
May-25-2005, 8:20pm
I'm looking really hard at the Collings MT right now and I was wanting to know how those people that own one like them. How's the sound? Playability? Any complaints? Raves???

thanks.

Kelly http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif

Frank Russell
May-26-2005, 11:18am
I had one that I sold recently to get funds for another mando purchase. I wish I had kept it. These are the easiest playing, sweetest sounding, best value in their price range I've seen yet. Big woof right off the shelf, no breakin required. Just a joy to own and play. I'm sure I'll end up with another one. Buy used, they seem to hold up well, and you could save some serious cash. Frank

arwhite
May-26-2005, 11:33am
I bought frussell's MT. I'm glad you didn't keep it, Frank. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif It is a sweet sounding instrument. I owned a MT2 a while back and I think I like this MT better. It seems warmer sounding than I remember the MT2 being though it doesn't seem as loud as the MT2 was in my memory of it. The MT suits me quite well. I'm mainly a guitar player and the MT is a good mando to have around for not a lot of dough. Especially if you find someone like Frank who gives you an excellent deal on a used one.

Knowlesy
May-26-2005, 6:21pm
I like mine! Sound is superb, playability is just right and I'd just like to rave for a moment about the way it vibrates in a way which makes it seem like it comes alive when you're playing. <end rave.> Looks damn good too.
All in all http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif

powel1nj
May-26-2005, 7:44pm
Just got one about a week ago. I love it. It really plays wonderfully. The sound is very full and beefy and it projects very well. Very sharp looking to boot.

otterly2k
May-27-2005, 11:24am
I don't have one, but I've played several, and they are definitely on my short list for future upgrade...very well built, tight construction, extremely playable with a nice radius and action, very responsive. I haven't met one I didn't like.
KE

mingusb1
May-27-2005, 12:17pm
I sold one a few months back. #Bought it new. #It really was a loud, full sounding instrument, but for some reason I was compelled to sell it. #

The "bassiness" across all of the strings/notes (if you will) made it sound a little "generic" to my ears. #Maybe it was that Collings mid-range that some people have waxed about here on the board. #Not sure. #

More importantly, I never got used to the neck profile/string spacing. #I have two small-maker mandos that have a little wider/beefier necks that just seem better for my big (bass-playin') hands.

All that said, it was a really nice insturment. #Just maybe not for me.

Z

Steve F
May-27-2005, 4:05pm
I have had mine now for 15 months. Great bang for the buck and the best mandolin (to me)I found to play anywhere except the Collings F I played at the factory.
It was great how the MT opened up in the first two weeks I had it. I moved from San Antonio to northern Mississippi and was a bit concerned how it might respond to the humidity change.
No change, no problems, no regrets, no MAS !

spf

Rick Schmidlin
May-29-2005, 2:29pm
I also feel the best mandolin for the price.It hold it value and sounds great.You can play one and A/B it in one state, order by mail in another and save a lot of cash for one that will sound the same and be built with the same quility.They are consistent.

Kirk Albrecht
May-29-2005, 7:53pm
I have had mine for about 8 months - really like. My first higher-end mando, and it's easy to play, has a nice woody tone, good separation, and loud. I think it compares to most anything out there (tone-wise) under $2,500 on the market these days.

They must be doing something right with them - Collings is sure selling a lot of them.

kmando
May-29-2005, 9:08pm
I just got my MT on Friday. I love it. It is alot of bang for your buck. I have small hands and it is easy to play and sounds better each time I pick on it. It's every bit as loud as my 2 F style mandos.