Mandopickr
May-25-2005, 7:18pm
It ain't no Hillburn but here goes

Mandopickr
May-25-2005, 7:20pm
Here's the back

Jonathan James
May-25-2005, 7:23pm
Looks great! Jim H. is one of a kind, so I wouldn't worry about comparing your work to his; your stuff looks pretty darn good. How does it sound?

Mandopickr
May-25-2005, 7:23pm
And the head stock. It sounds really good for just stringing it up 2 days ago. Really bassy and pretty loud. I'm pretty happy with this one right out of the chute.

ShaneJ
May-25-2005, 9:18pm
Looks very nice! I like the columbine too! They're one of my favorite things about going to Colorado in the summertime.

Dan Adams
May-25-2005, 9:30pm
With a headstaock name like High Plains, where are you located? I like the name and the columbine. Great job! Dan

ShaneJ
May-25-2005, 9:36pm
I just looked at Doug's profile page to see where he's from (Denver), and you know how it always has the wrong username on the "Send an email to...." link? Well guess who it showed instead of Mandopickr.....Jim Hilburn. And Doug thought he was no Hilburn! http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

Dan Adams
May-25-2005, 9:38pm
Well if he's here in my neck of the 'Plains,' I'd like to play one of his mandolins. #Any chance? #Dan

Jim Hilburn
May-25-2005, 10:56pm
Plinker, he's Doug Elrick from High Plains Tradition. Definitely in your neck of the woods.
Can't wait to check it out, Doug. I'm playing at the D-Note on Sat. maybe you could stop by.

Dan Adams
May-25-2005, 11:17pm
Jim: I thought you might see my post come across. Doug is close to me, and I'm glad to see his luthier work show up! Are you tutoring him? I'll be out on the ranch mending fence (and camping on the high plains of eastern Colorado) on Saturday and Sunday, but next time you're playing, PLEASE let me know. I sure enjoy listening to 'One Lucky Guy.' We have a few 'formal' jams coming up the next month, so I might be playing in public again. We're also trying to decide about a couple of other non-professional request we've received, and we're trying to decide if 'Better Late' should perform. Being a 'psuedo, garage bluegrass/oldtimey' band is a tough. Don't ever offer us money to play, then we might confuse ourselves with real musicians!

Now where is that mandolin again!? Dan

Dan Adams
May-25-2005, 11:21pm
Oh I forgot to mention, Mr. Hilburn builds one of the finest mandolins in the country. I'm still working on setting up my installment plan! Just kidding! Dan

Mandopickr
May-26-2005, 12:49am
Where you at Plinker. My home town is on the high plains of Colorado. Been living in the Denver metro for all but about 8 years of my life.

Jim, I'm gonna do some bluegrass mercenary work with Kantakerous Sat. or I'd come up to see y'all. I'll be at the White Fence Jam Thursday though.

Skip Kelley
May-26-2005, 6:12am
Mandopickr, That is a great job on the mandolin! It looks awesome no matter what number it is. You did an incredible job on the sunburst; I love it!! http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif

Lane Pryce
May-26-2005, 8:16am
Doug congratulations on your first.I still think about getting up the gumption to do one myself!!Doug did you use a kit or did you build from scratch?I really like the inlay work,very attractive. Lp

Mandopickr
May-26-2005, 5:55pm
#3 is built from a piece of Engelman from Bruce Harvey(aka Spruce), and some maple I found at a local hardwood store. The hardware is all from StewMac. I found a pretty interesting case at First Quality from Eastman. I'll post a pic later. It's a nice little fiberglass case, really light and fits the instrument well. The only thing I don't like about it is that it has no storage...just the mando fits.

Lane Pryce
May-27-2005, 7:56am
I had one of the cases too---barely enough room for a tuner.Good festival case though. Lp

Dan Adams
May-28-2005, 1:08am
Doug: I always wanted to be the 3rd or 4th best mandolin player from a small town (Strasburg) in the eastern plains of Colorado. The big city is growing and the old home town isn't that far from turning into a suburb. What about you? Dan

Mandopickr
May-29-2005, 12:33am
My mom and dad are in Watkins and my wife and I lived in Bennett for several years. Now I'm a Denver fireman and have been for nearly 19 years. I've been in and out of the Colorado bluegrass scene for most of my life. There are some great pickers here. Going to Pueblo next weekend? High Plains Tradition will be there....and I'm gonna debut #3. Lets pick some.

Dan Adams
May-29-2005, 6:16pm
I'm not planning on going to "Grass on the River," in fact I've never been. Shame, but it came into the local scene long after I was involved in the local festival scene, which included and was limited to the Rocky Mountain Bluegrass Festival. Plus; we have a small informal jam/gig this weekend. I'm missing 'Old Blue' this weekend due to some family commitments. Bennett and Watkins? I probably know some of your kin, or somebody that does know them. You know the Yost? I grew up one of the best pickers, and of course the younger is one of the best also in the state. Now if I spent the last 20 years playing instead of trying to earn a living, I might be able to keep up, but I'm sure I could learn a lot from you!! I sure enjoy your style of playing and your expertise. I'm sure I'll see you around and introduce myself. Have fun by the river! Dan