PDA

View Full Version : Richard Durrant concerts

WillFly
Sep-23-2016, 2:47am
For those tenor (and guitar) enthusiasts in the UK, my mate Richard Durrant is doing a series of concerts, amidst which he will be playing Bach on his new tenor guitar. It's a beautiful instrument, based on my own Ian Chisholm model and made for him by Ian.

It's English walnut like mine, but with a cutaway and some other variations. Info here:

http://richarddurrant.com/this-september-richard-durrant-unplugged/

I saw him play it recently at the Ropetackle in Shoreham-by-Sea - and will be there again on 24th September to see him in action again.

For an idea of his talent, check out this YT video:

Olzxor83tRA]Richard Durrant - Honeysuckle Rose

Martin Jonas
Sep-23-2016, 8:34am
Richard is a great player, and has a wonderful stage presence in concert. I went to his carol concert last year in Mold and enjoyed it very much. He played tenor guitar at that concert, too -- Bach and Dowland. The tenor he played was labelled Ashbury, but didn't match any of the Ashbury tenors listed at the Hobgoblin website.

Martin

Martin Jonas
Dec-15-2016, 9:30am
For those tenor (and guitar) enthusiasts in the UK, my mate Richard Durrant is doing a series of concerts, amidst which he will be playing Bach on his new tenor guitar. It's a beautiful instrument, based on my own Ian Chisholm model and made for him by Ian.

It's English walnut like mine, but with a cutaway and some other variations. Info here:

http://richarddurrant.com/this-september-richard-durrant-unplugged/

I went with my daughter (currently learning the guitar) to see Richard Durrant at Theatr Clywd in Mold on Sunday for this year's Christmas tour (Link (http://richarddurrant.com/discover/christmas/)) and got to see his new Ian Chisholm tenor guitar. As Will has described it: lovely instrument, well suited to single note Baroque pieces and strummed accompaniment, but quite a different tone from the Ashbury he was playing last year. That may be because the Ashbury was in GDAE and I'm pretty sure the Chisholm is set up in CGDA. Richard must like it, as he played a good third of the entire concert on the tenor guitar.

I was struck by how small the body is. It's a parlour guitar size, similar to my (much more modest) Vintage Viaten tenor, just a bit wider.

I find Richard Durrant's approach to music very appealing, not least because his mix of repertoire is very similar to my own (albeit at a much higher level), combining classical with folk and early music, with a few Latin sprinkles thrown in. He has most impressive classical guitar technique and credentials but none of the po-facedness of many classical performers. Also a really nice and approachable stage persona with a good sense of humour. This year was folkier than last year because of the addition of folk fiddler/dulcimer player Nick Pynn, which made the tonal palette a bid wider still.

Martin

WillFly
Dec-15-2016, 10:14am
Richard's tenor is indeed tuned CGDA (standard tuning) which he particularly liked because cello music as written sits well on the instrument - so lots of Bach cello suite bits! His tenor sounds slightly different from mine as it's a new instrument and still getting to breathe, whereas mine is now nearly seven years sold.

I'm glad you enjoyed his concert. He's a great player and a nice guy, down to earth and incredibly unstuffy. I'm lucky to live not far from his base in Shoreham-by-Sea, so can get to see him quite a lot. His mate, Nick Pynn, is a weird and wonderful musician - a magnificent fiddler - and I have a great CD of theirs called "Nick and Dick"!

Dolamon
Dec-15-2016, 11:39am
This series of Richard Durrant explorations on tenor guitar were published last month but kind of slipped through the proverbial cracks in our world. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xoTj3wVjKs There are at least five of these ... I don't know how many of these or exclusively on tenor.

Enjoy

WillFly
Dec-16-2016, 3:21am
Alas - it says "This video is not available"...

Dolamon
Dec-20-2016, 11:56am
Sorry about that Will, the name for this is 'A Lesson for Two Tenor Guitars'. Perhaps it's listed or catalogued a bit differently in the UK.