PDA

View Full Version : IBMA...good place to shop for a new mando?

little wolf
Sep-19-2016, 8:10pm
I have never been to IBMA, and I am in the market for a new mandolin. Any advice on IBMA ? Would it be as good as a visit to Nashville/Carters, Gruhns etc?

Any suggestions are much appreciated. Thank you !

ferrousgeek
Sep-19-2016, 9:25pm
IBMA would not really compare to a visit to Nashville as far as mando sampling. The expo is LOUD and it is difficult to hear instruments properly. I can't find a vendor listing for the expo, so hard to say who will be there. Over the past few years Red Diamond, Morgan Music, Ellis, Gibson, Mandolin Central (Tony Williamson), June, Sorensen, Elderly, Kentucky, Eastman,....have had booths. If you get there early enough on Friday the crowds aren't too crazy yet.

That said, IBMA is an incredible event and well worth the trip. Endless supply of great music, workshops,... as well as the expo. This time of year I feel really fortunate to live just a few blocks from downtown Raleigh!

Bigtuna
Sep-19-2016, 9:37pm
IBMA would not really compare to a visit to Nashville as far as mando sampling. The expo is LOUD and it is difficult to hear instruments properly. I can't find a vendor listing for the expo, so hard to say who will be there. Over the past few years Red Diamond, Morgan Music, Ellis, Gibson, Mandolin Central (Tony Williamson), June, Sorensen, Elderly, Kentucky, Eastman,....have had booths. If you get there early enough on Friday the crowds aren't too crazy yet.

That said, IBMA is an incredible event and well worth the trip. Endless supply of great music, workshops,... as well as the expo. This time of year I feel really fortunate to live just a few blocks from downtown Raleigh!

I agree. I got to play some great mandolins the year I went, but it was hard hearing them. I really enjoyed talking with all the builders too.

ferrousgeek
Sep-20-2016, 6:47am
I agree. I got to play some great mandolins the year I went, but it was hard hearing them. I really enjoyed talking with all the builders too.

Agreed. It's an incredible opportunity to absorb info. A virtual immersion course in bluegrass. Just not the ideal place to hear instruments in a quiet setting.

little wolf
Sep-20-2016, 8:36am
Thank you all. That is very helpful.

red7flag
Sep-20-2016, 10:21am
I have not been to Raleigh, but, have been fortunate to have been to Owensboro, Louisville and Nashville (previous sites for IBMA) many times. The posters above have nailed it. The event is a wonderful place to experience. The vendor area is jammed packed with instrument vendors and some mandolin luthiers. As also expressed, the sound level, especially in the late afternoon and evening make it difficult to fully appreciate an instrument you are playing. Trying to get to the vendors when the area first opens is the best option, but still not like trying a instrument at Carter's. That being said, the experience of meeting many of the luthiers that you read about here at the cafe is extraordinary. The last couple of years in Nashville, after having met Tom Ellis, he made a point of bringing a special instrument for me to experience. What a wonderful gentleman. I spent most of an hour playing in Hans Brentrup booth the last time he exhibited (we did not know that then). His booth was friendly and warm, just like he is. I fell in love with a H5 that I have pined for ever since. The experiences at IBMA is well worth the trip. Elderly usually has wonderful selection, also. I am still wishing I bought that used Sobell from a few years ago.

Mike Arakelian
Sep-20-2016, 10:59am
You'll get a chance to see and play a good number of mandolins from some well known builders as well as mass produced instruments from Eastman, Kentucky, etc. Typically, Elderly has a large pavilion with some great mandolins to try out, and I think they will sell. The problem, as stated above, is that the showcase is large and very loud and the acoustics are not good. There will also be plenty to look at in terms of accessories...cases, picks, straps, etc. if you're looking to buy a mandolin, I'd definitely go despite the difficulty with the acoustics. Be sure to take in the great workshops as well as some outstanding music at the outdoor stages. Have fun! :mandosmiley:

Charles E.
Sep-20-2016, 7:59pm
I agree with all that has been said. In the past years I had a chance to play some very nice mandolins in all price ranges and talk to some really great builders.
The hall can get loud and crowded and you might have to wait awhile to play a mandolin you really want to try because some twelve year old kid is playing the dickins out of it! ;).

I wonder if it would be possible to have a quiet space established for serious buyers to try instruments? Probably difficult.