PDA

View Full Version : Muth A5

fatt-dad
Sep-19-2016, 10:59am
There are few threads on the 'café about Larry Muth. I ordered my A5 about 5-1/2 years ago and have had it in my hands for about 4 years. Originally, I didn't use it much, 'cause I was all into my (then) new Cohen, which I ordered at the same time. (Love my Cohen.)

Then I got back into playing my A3, doing duets and classical and old-time and such.

Then I got hip to all the crazy stuff of Chris Thile and how it's all on his Loar, so I refound my, "Bluegrass" box, even though I don't play bluegrass.

Consistent with Thile, I've gone to the Wegan and the EXP74cm strings (I still have my CT55 though). I lowered the action and am attempting the lighter, more intentional, delicate touch.

I love playing my Celtic, Old-time and classical music on this mandolin! Really having a blast. There's even a part of me that thinks my mandolin has opened up! Then again, that's a bit mystic to my rational side. No matter, here's a recent art photo!

f-d

atbuckner21
Sep-19-2016, 1:20pm
It's gorgeous man! :)

CES
Sep-19-2016, 2:09pm
Yeah, I know what you mean. I like having the variety of several mandolins, but my Silverangel A does it all well. Excepting those times when I want the National RM sound (or the Mandobird), I really could be a one mando man with the SA. But, that's crazy talk!!

Really nice photo of your Muth!

CWRoyds
Sep-19-2016, 2:33pm
I am usually use a BC CT55 man, but I recently picked up a Wegen TD-140 and totally love it.
They are very different, and I can't decide which i prefer.
I keep both in the strings and trade off depending on how my mando is feeling that day.
The wegen seems to be better for straight bluegrass as it is a little brighter and has a bite.
The CT55 is better for everything else, as it is smoother and really glides through the strings.

I was using the EXP74cms and loved the tighter E & A, but I recently switched back to regular EXP74s.
On my JB F5 Special the EXP74s have a little less volume but a little more color.
They sound a little more open.
The EXP74cms are probably better if I were going straight up bluegrass though.
Both are great string sets.

fatt-dad
Sep-19-2016, 2:34pm
Yes, I "could" get all the mando-therapy on any one of my mandolins. The A3 is in for the long haul along with my Gibson guitar. I'm really digging the Muth though. I'd love to contrast it to the bigger names, but that'd mean leaving the sofa. Every once and awhile I do get out to jam. I rarely play others' mandolins though - just too happy with what I bring!

Thanks for the kind words folks! I really wanted Larry Muth to have a bit of publicity on the 'café.

f-d

p.s., to the moderators - I didn't add the accent over the 'café!

Br1ck
Sep-20-2016, 12:34pm
Yeah, I know what you mean. I like having the variety of several mandolins, but my Silverangel A does it all well. Excepting those times when I want the National RM sound (or the Mandobird), I really could be a one mando man with the SA. But, that's crazy talk!!

Really nice photo of your Muth!

Please keep reinforcing this thought regarding Silverangels. Don't need another mandolin, don't need another mandolin.......