PDA

View Full Version : Mandolin Identity

Nick Wilson
Sep-16-2016, 8:05am

Hi guys I've since this Mandolin in my local music shop and I'm wondering if anyone recognises the make/age etc?

Ray(T)
Sep-16-2016, 12:57pm
Probably Sicilian from around 1900 give or take 20 years. There are lots of them about. Do you want to play it or hang it on the wall?

Nick Wilson
Sep-16-2016, 2:34pm
Play it and that was what I was thinking really, it's probably more of an ornament than an instrument. It's going for £40 and I was considering buying it as a project but if it's not going to be a great instrument then it's possibly not worth the investment. Do these instruments usually play well?

mrmando
Sep-16-2016, 3:52pm
Go back to the shop and ask if they'll let you play it! Then you can judge for yourself whether it plays well; you can also look inside to see if it has a label.

If the shop won't let you play it, then walk away. Never, never buy an instrument that the seller won't let you play first.

A bowlback can play as well as any other mandolin if it's properly set up. But an instrument that has been neglected for the better part of the century will likely need work before it can be played.

Ausdoerrt
Sep-16-2016, 4:08pm
Agreed, if you have the option, inspect/try it before you buy. Check playability/action (tends to get higher with age), check for neck warping (no truss rod in these), and for separation on the top and back (a pain to fix),

It's probably not going to be a great instrument, but it could be a decent one. Looking at the photo, it seems to be in decent condition, but you can never tell for sure just looking at photos.

Ray(T)
Sep-16-2016, 4:24pm
In UK auction houses, these go for £40 or more on a regular basis, I suspect, to people who know little or nothing about mandolins so, at that sort of price, you're unlikely to go far wrong. [search for "mandolin" on the-saleroom.com and you'll see what I mean]

The things to bear in mind though are (1) you'll certainly need a new set of strings so budget up to 25% of your purchase price on these, (2) don't assume that the tuners on it (a) work, (b) can be made to work or (c) will be able to be easily replaced and (3) if there is anything structurally wrong with the mandolin it's likely to cost you more than the instrument's worth to get it fixed and, even then, assuming you can find someone to fix it.

If you're set on playing mandolin (and I'm assuming you're a beginner - correct me of I'm wrong) you'd be better off with something more modern. If you're happy to hang it on the wall - the reason for which I suspect many of them are sold - all well and good. Let us know how you get on.

LadysSolo
Sep-16-2016, 7:34pm
I disagree about bowlbacks not being good for a beginner. It depends on what kind of music you want to play. Bluegrass - not so good. Classical - very good. You will need very light strings - not too expensive in the US, I am not sure about in the UK.

Ray(T)
Sep-17-2016, 3:42am
Once you overcome the inherent problem of holding one, I would agree that a well set-up bowlback with working tuners can be as good as any other; depending on what style of music you're playing. What we're talking about here is a a 100+ year old mandolin of unknown provenance which is valued at around £40. The likelihood is that it's going to take a deal of work to make it playable and a degree of experience to actually play it and possibly even to tune it.

I started playing mandolin 40+ years ago on a bowlback so I've been there and it didn't take me that long to realise that more modern instruments were a better option.

As for strings, even accounting for shiping, tax and other charges, it has always been cheaper for me to import them direct from the US. The recommendedd retail price for a set of J74s in the UK is £9.50.

Ausdoerrt
Sep-17-2016, 10:30am
I disagree about bowlbacks not being good for a beginner. It depends on what kind of music you want to play. Bluegrass - not so good. Classical - very good. You will need very light strings - not too expensive in the US, I am not sure about in the UK.

I don't think Ray meant a bowlback is bad for a beginner, I think he meant that a vintage mandolin of unknown quality/condition is not the best choice. A beginner is best off getting an instrument that is 100% playable.