PDA

View Full Version : Blue Chip Recommendations please

soliver
Sep-15-2016, 7:25am
So my wife, being the prodigious planner that she is, and having already bought Christmas gifts for the kids, asked me what I wanted for Christmas... (God bless that woman). So I am thinking now may be the time to invest in a ticket on the Blue Chip train. It will fit within the Christmas gift Budget and I really liked the one that I tried out of the (Original) Traveling Pick Sampler, but can't remember which it was. There were 2 in the Sampler, one more rounded and one more pointed (in a more traditional Guitar Pick shape) and I preferred the more pointed one. Was it a CT55?... I dunno.

Anywho, the point for this thread is not only to ask the above, but to find out what you guys' preferred choice of Blue Chip is and why.

My current favorite picks to date have been the Dunlop Primetone Sculpted Plectra 1.5mm Large triangle, and the Big Stubby 2.0mm Large triangle. I also like the 3.0mm Big stubby in the teardrop shape, but find I can tremolo better with the 2.0mm so have been liking that a little more. So I think whatever it may be, I'd like a large triangle shape if possible.

Recommendations would be greatly appreciated

Phil Goodson
Sep-15-2016, 7:34am
TAD 60 or TAD 80 sounds like something you'd like.

CES
Sep-15-2016, 7:38am
I use tad40 on guitar, 50 on OM, and ct 55 on mando. Tad 60 would probably be fine for me, but suspect 80 would be too thick for my taste...

Drew Egerton
Sep-15-2016, 7:40am
I've used a CT55, a KS60, a TAD50 and a TAD60 both round and pointy corners.

The CT55 is the sharpest point and triangular shaped. The KS60 is basically the opposite, very small and round. I am currently liking the KS60 the best. The CT55 is brighter, but it sounds like you like a thicker pick usually.

You might try a TAD60-1R so that you get one rounded corner and two sharper ones to choose from.
A 60 is close to 1.5mm.

Stevo75
Sep-15-2016, 7:51am
I think the Blue Chips tend to sound darker than the Prime Tone sculpted. So I tend to go a little thinner on the Blue Chips to compensate. TAD 60 and TAD 80 sound too dark for me. I like the CT-55. Also like the TAD 50 with a round bevel (no speed bevel).

TAD is a large triangle shape. The tips are pionty unless you get one with a rounded corner. If it says 1R or 3R that refers to the number of rounded corners.

The standard guitar shaped pick by Blue Chip is the TD (tear drop). I haven't tried one of those but if I did it would be the TD 50.

darrylicshon
Sep-15-2016, 7:58am
Yes the sampler haf a ct55 it was the pointer one. I use the ct55 and the td40 i switch back and forth also use a wegen bluegrass

T.D.Nydn
Sep-15-2016, 8:07am
I use almost exclusively now the Bluechip LG Jazz 35.... Thin, stiff, large and pointed, the best for me for tone, volume when I need it and precision.

Rich Benson
Sep-15-2016, 8:18am
Is'nt the CT55 the same size/shape as a TAD?

Stevo75
Sep-15-2016, 8:26am
Is'nt the CT55 the same size/shape as a TAD?

Yes

Beanzy
Sep-15-2016, 8:33am
I gave up using my CT55, just didn't have the right shape & was way too clicky
I took to reshaping others like the primetones and making them from waterbuffalo horn so I get what works.
It seems a shame to recut the CT55 so I just keep it & the Wegens in the pouch in case anyone wants to try them at a jam.
Ideally I'd like a really narrow pointed one but haven't seen any that look right on their website.

soliver
Sep-15-2016, 8:53am
Ok, so I just shared with wifey the link for the Bluechip TAD80-1R and her response was "Seriously?... 1 Pick?" :))

Can anyone speak to using the 60 AND the 80 and tell which they prefer and why?... Just curious.

pops1
Sep-15-2016, 9:37am
I have not used the 80, but I found the 60,50,40 all to dead sounding or muffled on the low end, I did use a 35 and it was ok. This would make a huge difference if your G string was bright or dark and deep as to how heavy a pick will give you the sound you like. After years of using a BC, and liking it for the glide and feel, I went to Wegen in the M100, didn't like the thicker ones.

Shelagh Moore
Sep-15-2016, 9:39am
After being sceptical about BCs for years due to the high cost (even more so in the UK!) I now use a TP40 for mandolins and OM and am very pleased with how it sounds and feels (very smooth through the strings). This designation equates to 1mm thickness and this seems to suit me well as well as the triangular shape. I suspect bluegrassers may well prefer a thicker pick. I prefer the TP40 to the Wegens, V-picks, Ultexes, Primetones, Proplecs and unmentionables that I have.

MediumMando5722
Sep-15-2016, 9:55am
I have a TAD60 and a TAD-3R 50. I prefer the 60. I've never tried a thicker BC, but I've tried tons of Dunlops over 1.5mm and mostly didn't like them.

If I bought another BC, I'd get a TAD-1R 60.

Stevo75
Sep-15-2016, 10:00am
I've used both at TAD 60 and a TAD 80. The TAD 80 was way too dark and muffled but also had some clicky noise to it. The 60 was better but I have found that 50 works even better (a little less dark).

A lot of it depends on how your mandolin sounds (bright or dark) and how you tend to hold the pick and attack the strings. And even when all those things are equal, there is personal preference involved with what tone you think sounds better.

mandroid
Sep-15-2016, 10:33am
What Pick shape do you like when made in Other Plastics ?

I have found I like 346 big 'wankel' triangle on some instruments and Rounded Dawg pick types on others .

Bill Kammerzell
Sep-15-2016, 10:42am
I think the Blue Chips tend to sound darker than the Prime Tone sculpted. So I tend to go a little thinner on the Blue Chips to compensate. TAD 60 and TAD 80 sound too dark for me. I like the CT-55. Also like the TAD 50 with a round bevel (no speed bevel).

TAD is a large triangle shape. The tips are pionty unless you get one with a rounded corner. If it says 1R or 3R that refers to the number of rounded corners.

The standard guitar shaped pick by Blue Chip is the TD (tear drop). I haven't tried one of those but if I did it would be the TD 50.

Just ordered a TD 50 and a TD 60.

UsuallyPickin
Sep-15-2016, 5:32pm
For mandolin I use a CT-55 and for guitar I use a TAD 60

JH Murray
Sep-15-2016, 6:02pm
I have the TAD60. It is almost identical in size and shape to the D'Andrea Proplec and the Wegen TF140. It is a large triangle with a bevel that allows for good tremolo. Brighter than the Wegen in tone. Well worth it for a Xmas gift.

soliver
Sep-15-2016, 10:25pm
Ok, you guys have convinced me that I ought to get the TAD60 instead of 80,... I opted for the 1R to just to try a rounded corner from time to time. That saves a little too, so what else should I ask for?... Tone-Gard coming for my birthday next month, I have a tuner and a stand.... Hmmmmmmm????

darrylicshon
Sep-16-2016, 3:54am
I think you need another mandolin

MediumMando5722
Sep-16-2016, 5:39am
Get an armrest. My 315's tone and volume improved considerably, and it's more comfortable to play now. The Leo's Wood rosewood model looks great against the Eastman finish, also.

JH Murray
Sep-16-2016, 7:29am
Spencer your tag lists 'Hand Carved Mandolin Armrests'. Is this something you are making just for yourself or are you selling them?

MediumMando5722
Sep-16-2016, 7:37am
Spencer your tag lists 'Hand Carved Mandolin Armrests'. Is this something you are making just for yourself or are you selling them?

Now my previous suggestion sounds really dumb :)

Chris Daniels
Sep-16-2016, 7:42am
That saves a little too, so what else should I ask for?.... Hmmmmmmm????

Copied/paraphrased from a recent thread regarding a similar question:

A ToneGard. A nice traveling case. A set of high-end, coated strings. A fancy tailpiece, like a James. Waverly or Alessi tuners. A set of Blohm's neo-Handel-style inlaid tuning buttons. An inlaid truss rod cover. A replacement ebony bridge, like the ones from Cumberland or Givens. Get it refretted with stainless steel or EVO gold frets. A mother of pearl nut would be nice. A humidifier for that case. And a hygrometer. And a Colorado case cover with insulation. A strap. Peterson strobe tuner. Tonerite system. Microfiber cloth to remove finger marks. An online course of lessons.

C.

MandoAblyss
Sep-16-2016, 12:09pm
I use a TAD60 1-R RH bevel blank-both-sides after trying CT-55 and others. Great thing about Blue Chip--if it isn't right for you, you may exchange with Matthew for another size or shape at no cost (if not custom engraved). I also use Jazz 90 and TAD50 3-R on my arch and flattop guitars.

Michael Neverisky
Sep-16-2016, 12:59pm
It's been mentioned before, but the angles (plural) at which the pick crosses the strings on the up and down stroke makes a significant difference in the performance of the pick. Particularly, I think, with a pick so heavily beveled as the CT-55. Until I figured this out, I was not a fan of the tone I was pulling from my Collings with the CT-55. Now that I've learned how to use the pick, the tone is much better and I find that the CT-55 is one of the best picks for drawing more sound (louder) from the tiny instrument.

soliver
Sep-16-2016, 8:35pm
Get an armrest. My 315's tone and volume improved considerably, and it's more comfortable to play now. The Leo's Wood rosewood model looks great against the Eastman finish, also.

Good recommendation, Chris... but I make Armrests and sell them, so I'm all set there :))

Astro
Sep-17-2016, 8:41am
I use a TAD60 1-R RH bevel blank-both-sides after trying CT-55 and others. Great thing about Blue Chip--if it isn't right for you, you may exchange with Matthew for another size or shape at no cost (if not custom engraved). I also use Jazz 90 and TAD50 3-R on my arch and flattop guitars.

Can I ask what you mean by "bevel blank both sides"? Does that mean w/o the speed bevel? Are there different bevels ? I can't tell from their web page. I just ordered the Tad601-R. I've enjoyed the CT55 but finally wore down the point.

Mark Wilson
Sep-17-2016, 8:59am
I've enjoyed the CT55 but finally wore down the point."too many notes" :cool:

Phil Goodson
Sep-17-2016, 10:37am
I use the TAD60 or CT55 most of the time and honestly can't tell much difference between them for my purposes.
(The TAD80 I use once in a while when I'm feeling frisky.)
I mentioned the TAD80 initially because OP said he liked the 2mm Big Stubby at some point.

9lbShellhamer
Sep-17-2016, 9:37pm
Love my CT55's. Daily use for almost three years and still going strong.

DataNick
Sep-18-2016, 2:21am
I use the TAD-3R 80....check out videos of Desperado (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBPd43r9UHYO30beLk4Ddww) to see how it sounds...YMMV

Ky Slim
Sep-19-2016, 9:43am
Is the TAD-3R 60 the closest in shape to the Pro Plec 346 rounded triangle 1.5mm?

MediumMando5722
Sep-19-2016, 8:41pm
Is the TAD-3R 60 the closest in shape to the Pro Plec 346 rounded triangle 1.5mm?

The D'Andrea sits right between the TAD60 and the 3R.

MandoAblyss
Sep-19-2016, 9:22pm
Can I ask what you mean by "bevel blank both sides"?... Are there different bevels?

Sorry, RH bevel on both sides all three corners, no engraving (blank) on both sides. With my OCD I found that with a stock pick I preferred the engraving under my thumb so I had to fuss with it after I picked it up. Now there is no "sidedness."

The CT55 bevel is supposedly different than the stock angle.

Anyone know if CT still plays a BC CT55?

MediumMando5722
Sep-20-2016, 4:30am
Anyone know if CT still plays a BC CT55?

Lots of recent videos and pics show him with his Wegen TF140. The white picks are extremely visible. However, I've seen a few of him and Bela Fleck where the pick looks dark. He's been alternating the Loars, looks like the same with the picks.

SwartDeco
Sep-20-2016, 4:50pm
Ok, you guys have convinced me that I ought to get the TAD60 instead of 80,... I opted for the 1R to just to try a rounded corner from time to time. That saves a little too, so what else should I ask for?... Tone-Gard coming for my birthday next month, I have a tuner and a stand.... Hmmmmmmm????

I was going to suggest a "-1R" just for that extra versatility. I bought a TAD-1R 50 for my guitar, and when I decided to learn how to play mandolin, it transitioned perfectly for me. I find myself playing more often with the rounded corner on mandolin.

soliver
Nov-04-2016, 1:03am
So Christmas came early... I got my TAD 60-1R today and just spent entirely too long playing with it... I meant to spend 15 minute noodling before I went to bed,... that was about an hour and a half ago. Any who, I'm super pleased with it. I love the ease with which you can tremolo with it. Its not quite as bright as my big stubby, but I still really like it... ok off to bed now.

gtani7
Nov-04-2016, 9:51am
So Christmas came early... I got my TAD 60-1R today and just spent entirely too long playing with it... I meant to spend 15 minute noodling before I went to bed,... that was about an hour and a half ago. Any who, I'm super pleased with it. I love the ease with which you can tremolo with it. Its not quite as bright as my big stubby, but I still really like it... ok off to bed now.

Excellent. I was going to suggest my ultimate tone test: playing different picks (I have a few BC, red Bears, a Gravity Gold, wegen, primetone, a few bone and horn picks etc) on a Strat (or other single coil) into Garage band/Logic Pro amp models into reference headphones. You can really hear differences in attack/sustain, pick noise/pings, brightness etc

mandroid
Nov-04-2016, 12:34pm
Have a CT 55* but wish it was not beveled just for 1 angle , but for Both.. as I often play with My Arm resting on the tailpiece cover.

* 2nd hand, off the classifieds, here.

Even Steven
Nov-07-2016, 1:36am
I wish I had your wife. I have to buy my own picks.

I think the TAD models would be to your liking, depending on thickness.