PDA

View Full Version : tone bar wood

rwh4
Mar-05-2004, 11:27pm
On my Stew-mac A5 kit one piece of tone bar wood has close grain and the other has wide grain.Is this on purpose or co-incidence.If on purpose, should I use the close grain on the treble and wide grain on the bass?
Does anyone do this and can you tell any improvement in the sound of the finished instrument?

Bluemando
Mar-05-2004, 11:49pm
The A5 kit I am working on had the same thing. I installed mine just the way you said. I'm still about a week or so from stringing up in the white, so we will see if its correct.......

mandoryan
Mar-06-2004, 12:57am
I make my tone bars with the wide grain going on the bass side and the tight grain going on the treble. I have a noticed a great tonal balance from doing this, but it could also be from the wood, graduations, finish thickness, nut, etc. meaning who knows if it makes a lot of difference but in theory it makes sense, because the bass side has more flexibilty and deflection from the wide grained stuff, and the treble is a bit stiffer, resulting in exagerating (possibly) the wanted tones from either side. Go with it. It's fun and you'll have a blast learning what makes it sound like such.... have fun.. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

Michael Lewis
Mar-07-2004, 1:48am
You might want to test for stiffness rather than grain line count.

Spruce
Mar-07-2004, 2:09pm
"You might want to test for stiffness rather than grain line count."

And if stiffness is your goal, you might want to find some Red Spruce.....

rwh4
Mar-09-2004, 2:29am
Thanks for the replys.I will try all your suggestions and see how it turns out.
Richard