PDA

View Full Version : The Traveling Pick Sampler: Take II

Caleb
Sep-13-2016, 10:05pm
Okay, who is ready?

Let's hear some ideas and some suggestions for ground rules.

I've got a black Wegen "Bluegrass" pick to throw in as my contribution.

What say you?

MediumMando5722
Sep-13-2016, 10:07pm
I have a lot of Dunlop picks, including some Primetones, to contribute.

My suggestion is the sender & recipient must speak on the phone prior to shipment.

Mark Gunter
Sep-13-2016, 10:08pm
I have a few to add as well. IMO, we should start with the list remaining from the original thread; contributors can send their picks to the person who was next on that list . . . what do y'all think?

darrylicshon
Sep-13-2016, 11:28pm
I have a few of the same picks i added i can send

Franc Homier Lieu
Sep-14-2016, 4:34am

Here's what I will send to kickstart this thing again. I don't want to participate in the sampling, but just give me an address and I will send this bunch (and maybe a couple others I find in the meantime) to whoever is first on the new list. Or maybe, Caleb, you want to collect the new contributions while the new procedure is being discussed? If so, I can send these to you.

Timbofood
Sep-14-2016, 5:47am
I've got a few, Caleb. You started the first one, I think the second needs to go to the last left hanging. Was,that Chad? (Sorry I will go to my corner as soon as we get this sorted out)
My thought is this load should ship to whoever from all the generous folks refilling the coffers.
We should all shop within the next ten day.
The new sampler will be assembled and shipped on or about the first of October? That will allow a little time for repackaging and play.
Two weeks maximum for taste testing and shipping to next signatory on the list (International shipping time taken into consideration).
Public announcement of arrival and departure of package.
Reasonable review of impressions when announcing departure.
Inventory upon shipping, published here for the next recipient.
Not to sound hard about any of these ground rules but, Caleb asked for input.
Now, where do I send my contributions?

Caleb
Sep-14-2016, 7:13am
You all could send them to me but it seems to make more sense to send them to the next person in the other thread; when it has built into a nice collection and when ppl stop contributing, it could be moved along.

Also, per the other thread, Cosmic Graffiti wanted to make a cart at Elderly to contribute. I would suggest taking that $40 and buying a Bluechip for the Sampler, as that is prob the pick that many would like to try before buying.

As someone else suggested, a phone conversation for some kind of accountability is needed before shipping.

MediumMando5722
Sep-14-2016, 7:50am
The BlueChip is a good idea.

I'll try to post a pic of the picks I can contribute today. We should probably all do that prior to the initial shipment so we don't have a bunch of duplicates in the Sampler.

We should also probably contact whoever is next on the list and get them involved in this thread, make sure it kicks off to a good re-start.

Mark Gunter
Sep-14-2016, 8:34am
The folk who have already signed up and been waiting so long are listed here:

Kback
Northwest Steve
tangleweeds
Mike001
Paul South
Chris Bowsman
MandoMN18
Emmett Marshall
wooq
Paul Merlo
Upis Land
Roger Moss
Diz9000
Mattslouch
Cosmic Graffiti

We could send a PM to each of these to confirm whether or not they still wish to be in line. I think it'd only be fair to approach it this way.

Caleb
Sep-14-2016, 8:54am
Paging Kback...

Jeff Mando
Sep-14-2016, 9:05am
Not to be negative, but it seems the pick sampler had a good run, but somebody got lazy and dropped the ball. To keep reviving it reminds me of those chain letters in the 60's, where you were given a list of 10 names, made copies of the list, sent a copy of the list to each person along with a dollar, adding your name to the bottom of the list, etc.... I forget the "mechanics" of it, maybe just the person at the top of the list got sent the dollar, but it was supposed to work like a pyramid and in 10 days, 10 weeks, whatever? you were supposed to get millions of dollars in the mail. Well, of course, somebody got lazy and didn't send their letters and it never worked. Otherwise, we would all be descendants of millionaires, wouldn't we? I think the post office outlawed chain letters at some point. (but who would know, since it is illegal to open somebody else's mail?) :mandosmiley:

Caleb
Sep-14-2016, 9:20am
Not to be negative...Then please don't be. There is enough of that in the world. This idea is for willing participants: no one is forcing anyone else to join in. If someone is not interested, there is plenty of room in other parts of the Cafe.

Jeff Mando
Sep-14-2016, 9:26am
oops....a thousand pardons, my friend....

Caleb
Sep-14-2016, 9:34am
oops....a thousand pardons, my friend....No harm done. :)

Chris Daniels
Sep-14-2016, 9:46am
I've been watching the previous pick thread with some interest but decided against adding my name to the bottom of an otherwise long list once the delay began to drag on. I justified it by saying I'm happy enough with my current Primetones so even though I love hunting down new picks I'd just have to live and let die.

However, with the pending relaunch my fingers started itching for new experimentation so I've decided to go ahead and jump on. I'll gladly comply with any verification or other requirements for passing it along. I agree with Bowsman that a phone call to confirm name and address prior to shipment should be a part of any protocol.

C.

MediumMando5722
Sep-14-2016, 10:35am
I'm spitballing here, but...

One of the suggested holdups was that the last pick recipient didn't have enough money for shipping. What if the sender included approximately $3 (should cover first class shipping, right?) with the picks? That way, if the guy getting the picks fell on hard times and could afford to spend literally nothing on shipping, at least the sampler keeps moving. Worst case scenario, the guy who gets the picks with no included shipping money pays $6 to try them instead of $3.

soliver
Sep-14-2016, 12:55pm
I've got a BUNCH of 3.0mm Big Stubbies I'll throw a few into the bag. Who are we sending them to? Caleb?

Posted this in the other thread before I realized this one was started here for round 2. Trying the pick sampler was one of the best moves I made as a new mandolinists... it seriously taught me a lot.

Timbofood
Sep-14-2016, 1:01pm
Well, OK, will the next recipient contact Caleb (or whoever) then the "bag fillers" get a PM from him to tell us where to mail the picks? I will get an envelope ready with three or four this afternoon!
Over to you Caleb, I guess. Maybe Mark Gunter? He seems to be keeping an eye on the project pretty well.
I will watch for a PM from someone.

colorado_al
Sep-14-2016, 1:14pm
I have a bunch of the pick samplers from jtspix.com. I'd be happy to contribute and be put on the list as well.
Thanks!
Al

Caleb
Sep-14-2016, 1:44pm
I've PM'd "Kback" and am waiting to hear back. Seems like the picks should go to him since he's next on list.

MediumMando5722
Sep-14-2016, 2:23pm
I have these ready to contribute:

Scratch the 1.14mm Gator Grip and 208, as I see they're in the above contribution.

MediumMando5722
Sep-14-2016, 2:25pm
Not to double-post, but I'd like it if we could get the rules established before shipping anything.

Caleb
Sep-14-2016, 2:46pm
Not to double-post, but I'd like it if we could get the rules established before shipping anything.
If you have ideas, let's hear them.

MediumMando5722
Sep-14-2016, 2:55pm
If you have ideas, let's hear them.

The sender & recipient talk on the phone, and the sender makes sure the recipient understands the rules we establish.

The recipient agrees to contact the next on the list within a week, and ships them within two weeks of receiving the picks (this gives time for communication).

If anybody needs a few more days, fine, but post about it. Same with when the picks are sent or received, take 5 minutes and reply to the thread so everybody knows where the picks are.

What do you guys think about including shipping money for the next guy? It makes the idea of someone not being able to afford shipping a moot point.

Caleb
Sep-14-2016, 3:28pm
I like your ideas but the shipping money could be a hassle. I say if someone can't afford a few bucks for shipping, then they should probably skip getting involved.

soliver
Sep-14-2016, 5:54pm
The sender & recipient talk on the phone, and the sender makes sure the recipient understands the rules we establish.

The recipient agrees to contact the next on the list within a week, and ships them within two weeks of receiving the picks (this gives time for communication).

If anybody needs a few more days, fine, but post about it. Same with when the picks are sent or received, take 5 minutes and reply to the thread so everybody knows where the picks are.

What do you guys think about including shipping money for the next guy? It makes the idea of someone not being able to afford shipping a moot point.

All great plans IMO, it would be wise to continue to copy and paste and repost this regularly in the thread so that folks who join down the road will know the "rules," or even copy And paste it into the PM to remind the next recipient.

Again, who shall I send my pick to?

Mark Gunter
Sep-14-2016, 6:18pm

I like your ideas Chris, except for the money part, I think Caleb makes sense on that part of it. Also, I think the previous incarnation was working exceptionally well, with just a few warts. The main difference should be telephone contact. With telephone + forum PM + mailing address, maybe we can avoid a black hole.

MediumMando5722
Sep-14-2016, 6:29pm
The money thing was the retail manager in me covering all my bases for when it came time to fire somebody. For the record, I agree with Caleb. If you can't afford shipping, don't sign up.

Anybody else want to add/remove/amend/whatever anything?

Jeff Mando
Sep-14-2016, 7:11pm
The money thing was the retail manager in me covering all my bases for when it came time to fire somebody. For the record, I agree with Caleb. If you can't afford shipping, don't sign up.

I can relate. Recently, I was behind a young lady at the post office who was struggling to send a package containing an item she had sold on eBay. Overhearing the conversation she had with the teller, she mentioned this was the fourth time she had been to the post office to take care of mailing it, but always something went wrong -- forgot the address, didn't bring enough money, could only mail it on her lunch hour, etc., -- basically every excuse you could ever think of -- quite juvenile. She also mentioned she had sold the item over 6 weeks ago and the buyer was complaining! It was obvious she had spent the shipping money on something else. It was also obvious that she had no business selling on eBay. I actually felt bad for her. Daily life must be a real struggle for her.

Chris Daniels
Sep-14-2016, 7:37pm
If you can't afford shipping, don't sign up.

I agree that it's a nominal entry fee to pay for shipping what amounts to a few ounces of various plastics but at the same time wouldn't want to discourage anyone taking advantage of the opportunity because they might not be able to afford shipping, especially since the last sampler went international.

Perhaps the rules could include a provision for discretely asking for assistance if the current holder is having issues getting the picks to the next recipient. I personally would be glad to help defray any costs.

C.

MediumMando5722
Sep-14-2016, 8:39pm
We can deal with lack of shipping funds on a one-off basis. Again, communication is key here.

Caleb
Sep-14-2016, 9:40pm
I PM'd "Kback" around noon today. If I don't hear from him in 48 hours (seems a reasonable time to me), I'm going to contact the next person on the list. When someone responds, I say we sent him/her all the picks; they can move the Sampler along from there after a week or so and a phone conversation with the next person.

And again, regarding shipping, if money is an issue (or if the whole process seems like a hassle) I would just suggest not signing up.

Paul South
Sep-14-2016, 10:13pm
What is the best shipping method, and were you insuring them for a certain amount, what was the average cost of shipping once the sampler became bigger?

MediumMando5722
Sep-14-2016, 10:39pm
I don't see any point in insurance. I just shipped a banjo strap for less than $5, and it would take A LOT of picks to compare weight wise.

Paul South
Sep-14-2016, 11:24pm
Insurance has to do with the value of the picks not the weight, one blue chip pick at $40 plus the value of the ones added to could add up, but if no insurance needed I'm ok with that long as I'm not the one replacing them :-)

soliver
Sep-14-2016, 11:51pm
When I shipped the original sampler it had about 45 picks... I think I insured it and the total was under $10... It was a while back so I not 100 % certain though.

Oliver A.
Sep-14-2016, 11:58pm
The timing of this thread is coincidental for me. I just spent hours re-shaping 600 celluloid picks to bring with me to the IBMA show. I have a booth there on the weekend of the event and thought I'd bring some "merch". I normally use Golden Gate picks that I re-shape to be a little more pointy, but not as pointy as a standard Fender pick. Anyway, I ordered a bunch of picks with my logo on them and when they arrived I thought, 'I don't want to sell or hand out anything that I wouldn't use myself' so I rounded off the points on 600 picks! I made a router jig to to do the basic shape and then I hand filed a bevel back into each pick by hand and buffed them on a cloth wheel. 'not sure if I'll ever do that again. Here's a before and after photo.

http://i.imgur.com/JnlEHiK.jpg

I'd be happy to send a few to the appropriate address. Caleb, if you're interested, PM me.

Jess L.
Sep-15-2016, 2:11am
...insurance...

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought that original receipts showing the purchase price of each and every item in the insured parcel, was required in order to collect on an insurance claim for lost/damaged shipped items.

I thought that it wasn't good enough to simply declare that a package is worth "x" amount of dollars and expect to actually *GET* that amount of money if the package turns up missing. :confused:

So, if :confused: that's the case, does everyone have their receipts for all the picks that they're donating? If the pick package was lost, everyone would have to round up their receipts and send the receipts to the last-known holder of the package... who would then fill out the lost-package paperwork at the shipper's in order to (someday, can take months, I've heard) hopefully collect on the insured amount... which would then presumably be used (by someone) to purchase similar replacement picks to mail on to the next person in line... sounds complicated...

MediumMando5722
Sep-15-2016, 4:53am
^ That's why I said ixnay on the insurance. It's hard enough to convince musicians a single pick is worth $40 :)

Timbofood
Sep-15-2016, 6:11am
You're right, insurance is like tying your donkey to the Queen Mary, you could but...why?
If you are worried, mail it certified, or registered. Overkill in any case. Besides it would not do anything for the issue of a recipient simply stopping doing anything. I certainly hope that nothing has happened to hossamassey which is serious, I'd prefer to think he's just a loafer and decided that he has not had time to test them all and just doesn't give a hoot.
I love the fact that the sampler had made it halfway around the world and back to the US before someone clipped it!

MediumMando5722
Sep-15-2016, 6:26am
The timing of this thread is coincidental for me. I just spent hours re-shaping 600 celluloid picks to bring with me to the IBMA show. I have a booth there on the weekend of the event and thought I'd bring some "merch". I normally use Golden Gate picks that I re-shape to be a little more pointy, but not as pointy as a standard Fender pick. Anyway, I ordered a bunch of picks with my logo on them and when they arrived I thought, 'I don't want to sell or hand out anything that I wouldn't use myself' so I rounded off the points on 600 picks! I made a router jig to to do the basic shape and then I hand filed a bevel back into each pick by hand and buffed them on a cloth wheel. 'not sure if I'll ever do that again. Here's a before and after photo.

http://i.imgur.com/JnlEHiK.jpg

I'd be happy to send a few to the appropriate address. Caleb, if you're interested, PM me.

That pick shape is cool, and your patience is admirable.

Mark Gunter
Sep-15-2016, 8:36am
The last sampler contained two Blue Chip picks, Wegens, etc. and no one was required to insure them when shipping. Let's not get complicated, simple rules and just do it.

Paul South
Sep-15-2016, 8:40am
I forgot about the receipts part, that would be tricky to keep them all in order

Mark Gunter
Sep-15-2016, 8:45am
I love the fact that the sampler had made it halfway around the world and back to the US before someone clipped it!

:cool: :mandosmiley:

Mark Gunter
Sep-15-2016, 8:50am
I forgot about the receipts part, that would be tricky to keep them all in order

Totally unnecessary anyway Paul, IMO. This is supposed to be a fun gesture using good faith and the honor system. Too much protectionism would just ruin it, I think. Who would be reimbursed? You couldn't reimburse all the contributors, and I doubt if any would want to be. The reimbursement from insurance (if you ever actually got your claim reimbursed) would have to go to starting a new sampler, or donated to the Cafe, but, sheesh - it's too much hassle. Insurance is not a good idea to me.

Paul Merlo
Sep-15-2016, 9:06am
I've got 2 Dawg picks to throw in. I think everyone should be able to pay for their own shipping to the next guy. I understand the concern for insurance, but don't think it's necessary. Let's not complicate things.

I agree communication is the key here to keep it moving. I'm not sure phone calls are imperative as long as PM's and forum posts are kept up.

It might be a good idea to include an inventory list of the picks included printed out, as well as the "rules" printed out in the envelope. If we use a nice bubble-pack envelope, it will be real easy to re-seal with some tape as well as just write the next address on a card and tape it to the front. I re-used them all the time back in my tape-trading days.

Caleb
Sep-15-2016, 9:15am
The only reason a phone number seems imperative is because some people on the list apparently do not check in here often; the fellow who has the Sampler now is a perfect example.

Paul South
Sep-15-2016, 9:40am
I wasn't trying to complicate the sampler with insurance on it, just didn't want to leave something not covered if that was being done on the previous sampler.

Jeff Mando
Sep-15-2016, 10:46am
I do a lot of eBay sales and use a small box 6X4X4 inches for small parts and things like picks. USPS is the cheapest for small packages mailed within the USA. USPS First Class small package rate usually runs about $2.35 - $3.75 for something about the weight of a handful of picks and tracking is included. I use a small box because I feel it provides better protection over a padded envelope and is big enough that it won't get lost. I have also had envelopes containing merchandise torn open by postal "roller" sorting equipment -- not sure if that is the right term -- picture a package being squeezed between two moving rollers sending it down a conveyor. The next step up is USPS Priority Mail Small Flat Rate Box. They provide the box (free) and it is about the size of an old VHS tape, so it will hold a lot of picks! The cost is $6.80 within the USA regardless of weight and it INCLUDES $50 insurance.

Insurance is a weird animal. Good packaging is your BEST insurance. I personally think insurance is pointless on anything under a few hundred dollars value, because of the hassle involved in pursuing the claim. I personally "insure" all my eBay sales, in that, if a $10 item is lost or damaged, I just refund their money. If it is a $1000 instrument, of course, I buy insurance with the carrier, but that is not what we are talking about here. My point is that I could imagine a scenario trying to explain to a USPS insurance adjuster the cost of picks vs depreciation due to pickwear and use............................................... .it would be hard to collect, IMHO

In actual practice, only about one item in 1000 mailed is damaged and even less than that are lost by the post office. Of course, I'm very careful to double-check, then triple-check the address to make sure it is correct and like I said, pack it well. (picks in a box should be no problem traveling)

Mark Gunter
Sep-15-2016, 11:13am
I wasn't trying to complicate the sampler with insurance on it, just didn't want to leave something not covered if that was being done on the previous sampler.

No harm done Paul, I was just a little anxious about going down a more distracting road, with your suggestion followed by Spencer mentioned how he'd insured the last one. Most folk did not buy insurance on the first sampler. I agree with Caleb, who actaully started the last one as well as this thread, the only real concern is having a better way of (hopefully) ensuring our ability to contact the person in possession of this thing in the case of unusual circumstances - i.e., phone number required. Just a small piece of personal info between the current shipper of the sampler and its next recipient seems a small thing to require for the privilege of getting it.

The pick sampler was one of the best eye-opening things to come out of the Cafe for me, when I was only a few months into playing, and I'd like to see it continue for the benefit of others.

soliver
Sep-15-2016, 7:37pm
I have a feeling I may not have insured the package, it was quite a while back that I had it and I can't be 100% sure. I do remember paying less than $10 to ship it and at the time it was housed in a plastic coin collectors sheet like would go in a 3 ring binder, which was folded and mailed in a padded mailer. ... Sorry if I complicated the matter.

I can say that having shipped many things insured, the cost of adding insurance is not much, the problem comes when you need to file a claim. From what I understand it is a royal pain I the seat meat.

I do agree that it is probably not necessary, so we can probably just drop the issue of insurance altogether.

Franc Homier Lieu
Sep-16-2016, 10:14am
I PM'd "Kback" around noon today. If I don't hear from him in 48 hours (seems a reasonable time to me), I'm going to contact the next person on the list. When someone responds, I say we sent him/her all the picks; they can move the Sampler along from there after a week or so and a phone conversation with the next person.

And again, regarding shipping, if money is an issue (or if the whole process seems like a hassle) I would just suggest not signing up.

Just let me know the address by PM when you have one. I take it you are moving on to the next person on the list?

Timbofood
Sep-16-2016, 12:32pm
When I sent it on, it was ten picks, the white Wegen from Caleb, a couple of "V-picks" and half a dozen Dunlop lavender "Lucas" shape. Mailed in an envelope, two stamps! My how time changed that!

Caleb
Sep-16-2016, 8:05pm
I never heard back from Kback. If you all want you can just send me the picks and I'll get the new Sampler together and going. Once I've got a nice pile of picks I can try and get in touch with someone on the old list. PM me if interested.

soliver
Sep-16-2016, 8:46pm
Sent you a PM Caleb.

Timbofood
Sep-18-2016, 10:40am
Kback has just surfaced with the sampler from hossamassey. That takes care of that, I guess.
I suppose it leaves the sharing of location at any given time which really needs to be addressed.

Caleb
Sep-18-2016, 11:03am
Now we'll have two Samplers going. Fun!

Jeff Mando
Sep-18-2016, 11:11am
from now on you might want to attach a GPS device onto the package, like they did in Breaking Bad........No Country For Old Men, etc........:))

Jeff Mando
Sep-18-2016, 11:50am
Now we'll have two Samplers going. Fun!

I imagine there will be a longer list waiting for the one with the two Blue Chips in it!

Caleb
Sep-18-2016, 1:36pm
I imagine there will be a longer list waiting for the one with the two Blue Chips in it!I was thinking the same thing. Would be cool if we could get one of those BCs in the other Sampler.

Franc Homier Lieu
Sep-19-2016, 1:04pm
I was thinking the same thing. Would be cool if we could get one of those BCs in the other Sampler.

Just want to clarify: will there be a second sampler? There seems to be some concern that the lack of BCs and other high end picks make the second sampler much less desirable.

Caleb
Sep-19-2016, 1:22pm
Just want to clarify: will there be a second sampler? Sure. People have PM'd me that they are sending picks. Maybe the best course now is to get a new list going, for this thread? There will surely be less picks but it can grow like the other Sampler. I'll be putting in two high-end picks myself, though neither being a BC.

darrylicshon
Sep-19-2016, 1:23pm
We could all pitch in $1 or something and buy a blue chip last time blue chip gave us the picks maybe igf someone contacts blue chip they may give us a discount, maybe atleast free engraving on mandolincafe which is on the others. I have some wegens i can add plus others

NewKid
Sep-23-2016, 5:26pm
I will donate my BlueChip TAD CT 55. Virtually new. I sent Caleb a PM for the mailing address.

I'll also throw in my Wegen TF 140.

Two great picks for everyone to enjoy.

Caleb
Sep-23-2016, 6:51pm
Newkid, you are the man! I've got one shipment of picks so far with at least three more on the way. When I get a nice pile of them I'll set the Sampler 2.0 out into the wide world. Stay tuned.

darrylicshon
Sep-23-2016, 6:55pm
I sent a bunch of picks to you this morning, i included a wegen bluegrass 1.2. And a golden gate plus a few Dunlop and many more

Caleb
Sep-27-2016, 6:27pm
All right, we have a nice pile of picks here as you can see, broken down by donor. Thanks to all the folks who donated.

There are too many to list in detail, but the highlights are the Wegen and BC donated by NewKid, the V-Pick JazzMando and Pro Plec from soliver, V-Pick Lite Large and some no-name that I liked (the one on the right) from Mark Gunter, a Golden Gate and Wegen from darrylichson, a "Bluegrass" Wegen and one of those buffalo picks sold by The Mandolin Store a while back (I think) from yours truly, and some absolutely KILLER custom-shaped Apitius picks from Oliver A.

My thoughts: I like a lot of these picks. I liked the bright and loud tone I got from the BC, and I'm genuinely grateful to get to try one, but I can't get into the shape of it. I like the V-Pick JazzMando a lot too, but for me, the custom picks from Oliver A. were the best. The shape is excellent for my playing and they work equally well on guitar, and the tone is great.

There is plenty here to keep a body busy for a long time.

We need to get a list going of who would like to try this version of the Sampler. Feel free to PM me and I'll get the list posted here by the order I was contacted. I'm going to ask the first person for his/her phone number so there is no lack of communication.

It seems to me that a week tops is fair to keep the Sampler before passing it along. When you have it and get in touch with the next person for his/her address, just make sure to get a phone number to call or text for accountability. And don't forget to add something to the mix. I'm going to toss in some case candy (i.e. decals). If one makes it to you and you want it on your case, grab it; if not, pass them along.

Oliver A.
Sep-27-2016, 9:41pm
Thanks for the glowing review Caleb.
For me personally, I have always liked the tone of plain ole' extra heavy, nitro picks. (I've tried lots of picks but not the BlueChips) I also always liked the basic Fender shape except that they were too pointy for me. I find that pointy picks brighten and thin out the tone too much for me. My solution for years was to buy Golden Gate picks and file them down to a rounded Fender shape. That worked pretty well for me except that the picks were just a little shorter and stubby for me ideally. Also, 1.4mm Fender picks were hard to come by in my area. When I ordered these branded picks to bring with me to the IBMA show in Raleigh as promo "merch", I decided, after seeing them to "whittle" them all down to the shape I liked best. I'll definitely be keeping a stash of these picks back for my personal use.
If anyone is going to the IBMA trade show, I'll be there in booth 307 with, among other things, 300 each of the heavy and extra heavy version of these customized picks. 25cents each while they last. If you like them, I will tell you how to customize your own Fender picks so that if I never make these picks available again, you won't have to go into withdrawal.

Caleb
Sep-28-2016, 1:04pm
Pick Sampler 2.0 is in-route to user Upis Land in Vineyard Haven, MA.

MediumMando5722
Sep-28-2016, 9:08pm
Sorry I flaked on sending you my picks. Life's been uncooperative lately.

Was there anything in the picture I posted not covered by what you received from others?

Caleb
Sep-28-2016, 9:28pm
Sorry I flaked on sending you my picks. Life's been uncooperative lately.

Was there anything in the picture I posted not covered by what you received from others?Chris, it's cool: life happens. There were no Primetones in the new sampler. If you still want to send them, I can pass you the address of where I mailed the Sampler.

MediumMando5722
Sep-29-2016, 4:52am
Chris, it's cool: life happens. There were no Primetones in the new sampler. If you still want to send them, I can pass you the address of where I mailed the Sampler.

Please do.

Paul Merlo
Sep-30-2016, 7:52am
Chris, it's cool: life happens. There were no Primetones in the new sampler. If you still want to send them, I can pass you the address of where I mailed the Sampler.

Are there any Dawg picks in there? I can send one out tomorrow to whoever has the rest of Sampler II.

Caleb
Sep-30-2016, 7:55am
Are there any Dawg picks in there? I can send one out tomorrow to whoever has the rest of Sampler II.There weren't any Dawgs in there.

soliver
Sep-30-2016, 8:42am
Caleb, that "no name" pick that you liked was an Elk Horn pick (as in it was made from the horn of an elk, that's no brand name) Mark Gunter sent me one as well and I sent it to you for the sampler. It was a little too quiet for my taste. I too liked the JazzMando V-Pick, but for me there was too much clicky string noise with it. I kept it for a while, but found that I never used it, so I am passing it on. I'll have a BC as a Christmas Gift soon enough, but for now my go-to is a 2.0mm Big Stubby.

Upis Land
Oct-11-2016, 9:27pm
I have enjoyed playing with this pick sampler. Each one brings out a different way to hold it. I spent a fair bit of time with Oliver A's custom picks, which I liked a lot. Thank you Oliver! Also spent a lot of time with the white Wegen with the holes. I tried one of those at a music store a few months ago and didn't really like the sound. But the sound is different, which is exactly what you might want sometimes depending on instrument, or evolving technique. I kind of liked it this time. Lots of other fun ones too.

Thanks to Caleb for getting sampler II started, as well as all the other original contributors. Thanks to Paul Merlo for adding the Dawg pick.

Im will be adding a Wegen m200, an alligator, and a handful of heavy premium fenders. 150246

I just need to know who wants to be next.

Chris Daniels
Oct-12-2016, 3:22pm
I just need to know who wants to be next.

Upis Land, looks like my request to get on the list got missed at some point but I'm definitely interested in trying the sampler. I'll send you a PM.

C.

Stompbox
Oct-12-2016, 4:00pm
Hey guys. New here and new to playing a mandolin and thus also late to the thread. But if I could get in on this so that I can try picks before buying 12 different ones and hating them it would be great.

If I cannot join due to being new or late to the thread, I understand.

Timbofood
Oct-12-2016, 4:58pm
No such thing as being late around here! You can get on the list easily enough, in fact, I think you just put yourself on! It might take a little while but, be patient, your turn will come.

Stompbox
Oct-12-2016, 5:42pm
No such thing as being late around here! You can get on the list easily enough, in fact, I think you just put yourself on! It might take a little while but, be patient, your turn will come.

Thank you much! This will be a valuable (literally) experience for me. I probably have some heavy guitar picks to use until I can try these.

Upis Land
Oct-13-2016, 4:07pm
Pick sampler II is on its way to LowNSlow in Summerville SC.

Chris Daniels
Oct-13-2016, 7:09pm
Thanks UL, I'll make sure to update this thread when they get here.

Looks like Stompbox is next on the very short list for this sampler. Anyone else want to sign up so he knows where to send them next? Wait is very short compared to sampler numero uno and it looks like a nice selection of picks already.

C.

Paul Merlo
Oct-14-2016, 7:26am
Could someone post an updated list? I thought this list below was what we were starting with, but it seems I got skipped if Upis Land has just sent the sampler on to LowNSlow. I added Stompbox to the bottom.

Thanks!

Kback
Northwest Steve
tangleweeds
Mike001
Paul South
Chris Bowsman
MandoMN18
Emmett Marshall
wooq
Paul Merlo
Upis Land
Roger Moss
Diz9000
Mattslouch
Cosmic Graffiti
Stompbox

Upis Land
Oct-14-2016, 8:15am
That's the list for the other sampler. There are 2 active sets going around now. Caleb put out a call for those interested in trying this newer, slightly smaller set, and I guess not many responded. My name should now come off the original list. Thanks all.

Upis Land
Oct-14-2016, 8:26am
I think the list for this sampler currently is:

Stompbox
Paul Merlo

Chris Daniels
Oct-14-2016, 8:35am
Caleb put out a call for those interested in trying this newer, slightly smaller set, and I guess not many responded.

Exactly. It was supposed to be a simple replacement sampler for the same recipients but then the original sampler reappeared and began working it's way through the original list. A separate list for sampler 2 was never compiled.

Since #2 is on it's way to me, I will PM all those in the list and ask which sampler they wish to receive. I will then post an update with responses. Here is the current list as far as I understand it:

tangleweeds (Current holder of Sampler I)
LowNSlow (Sampler II)
Mike001
Paul South
MandoMN18
Emmett Marshall
wooq
Paul Merlo
Roger Moss
Diz9000
Mattslouch
Cosmic Graffiti
Stompbox

C.

Chris Daniels
Oct-14-2016, 8:49am
OK, a PM has been sent to everyone on the list. Hopefully I can get a reply from each within the next couple of weeks so we can know where each sampler is headed. I'll make a post in the original thread as well.

C.

Chris Daniels
Oct-17-2016, 2:34pm
OK, pick sampler 2 just showed up. I'm in the process of restringing the rat with the D'Addario beta strings to properly start testing but I'll make sure to take a full inventory in the next few days. Here's a pic of the contents:

mandobassman
Feb-27-2017, 4:33pm
Has this Sampler II just vanished? Nothing going on since Oct? There was a Sampler II list near the end of the Sampler I thread. Is it still working or has this died?

Mark Gunter
Feb-27-2017, 5:15pm
It's still working - but they are both being covered under the original thread now. Makes sense to do it that way. Member Chris Daniels is keep tabs on the logistics of both samplers and doing a fine job; that's easier to do in one place. ;)