PDA

View Full Version : 10 year anniversary

dtb
Sep-13-2016, 12:55pm
on this date 10 years ago, the stroke that changed everything for myself and family. Sorry, no mandolin content yet.

Dan

grassrootphilosopher
Sep-13-2016, 1:23pm
on this date 10 years ago, the stroke that changed everything for myself and family. Sorry, no mandolin content yet.

Dan

Best wishes coming your way! Itīs a hard road to travel.

seg
Sep-13-2016, 5:23pm
and more wishes for all the best for you and your family

Roger Moss
Sep-13-2016, 10:29pm
Ten years ago was my double bypass. Sure changed things for me. Sorry still no mandolin.

dtb
Sep-14-2016, 2:44pm
ok mandolin content, in a story. during my 2nd full week in the rehab facility, my wife, Nancy brought my mandolin, at the time, Eastman 615, and when I'd get a few minutes of free time, it would sit on a pillow on my lap, left hand not working yet, and I would just smell it, and look at it. It took4-5 years before it sunk in that I was not gonna be able to play again, but I had vowed to myself laying there in rehab that I would play again. And then one evening while doing one of my favorite pass times, listening to cds of music , jams, etc. that I had recorded in my studio, I hit on the fact that if the tune was in G, I could stroke the strings open and there would be a space in the tune for each open note, and I could just percussive chop also, So that's what I do now, I call it mandokie, playing along with tunage in G and sometimes D. I know it's not playing to some, but it is for me, glad I have and kept all the tunage I recorded, must be 100s of hours, and started looking to other store bought cds and find a tune in G and am able to play along with it also.

Dan

Steve Ostrander
Sep-14-2016, 3:47pm
Our bass player in our trio had a stroke in July and is going through a similar experience. He can't play yet but we are all hopeful and prayerful that he will be back ASAP. Best wishes to you and keep strumming.

Drew Egerton
Sep-14-2016, 3:50pm
Dan,

That's truly inspirational man the way you found a way to keep playing. I was thinking as I read that you might also try some alternate tuning if that would make playing easier for you, though I'm no expert on those.

I think most all of us take things for granted, like being able to play or walk or see, etc. Your story inspires me to appreciate what I have a little more.
Thanks and best wishes to your continued recovery.

Drew

dtb
Sep-14-2016, 3:53pm
thanks folks for the response, but maybe this post can fade away! just saying.