PDA

View Full Version : Hilburn #34

Jim Hilburn
May-24-2005, 4:17pm
Pretty much my usual poses, but at least I used a better backdrop than the chair.
The tortoise binding will keep this one from looking like most of the rest I've posted.

Jim Hilburn
May-24-2005, 4:18pm
Front close-up.

Jim Hilburn
May-24-2005, 4:20pm
Scroll.

Jim Hilburn
May-24-2005, 4:21pm
Back.

Jim Hilburn
May-24-2005, 4:22pm
Peghead.

Scotti Adams
May-24-2005, 4:30pm
..mighty, mighty fine Jim....shes really nice.

ShaneJ
May-24-2005, 4:31pm
Jim, I really like the double-bound tortoise binding on the peghead (looks good everywhere else too). Truly, a beautiful instrument - as always.

Congratulations! http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

El Rey del Mando
May-24-2005, 4:36pm
Jim,That instrument is beautiful.If I could make one like that,I would need another lifetime !

John

Chris Baird
May-24-2005, 4:37pm
Jim, That is just amazing. Your sunbursts are unrivaled. I'm certainly planning on coming out to see how you do it.

mandopete
May-24-2005, 5:28pm
Perfection, thy name art Hillburn!

mandoJeremy
May-24-2005, 5:32pm
AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!

Jim Hilburn
May-24-2005, 5:51pm
Just remember Pete, photo's are not real life. The "issue's" don't generally show up, although I must say they are becoming less of an issue, but they're there.

Stephanie Reiser
May-24-2005, 7:35pm
very, very beautiful, Jim.
And very inspiring, as well.
Steph

ShaneJ
May-24-2005, 7:41pm
I'd kill to have your "issues", Jim. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

Skip Kelley
May-25-2005, 6:14am
That mandolin is stunning Jim! Your sunburst looks just like a sunset to me... Awesome! If I ever get my work to your level then I will feel like I have made it! http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif

Stephanie Reiser
May-25-2005, 7:37am
I cant get over how beautiful that binding is.
WOW
Steph

Lane Pryce
May-25-2005, 7:55am
Yeah that binding really sets it off. Lp

Bob DeVellis
May-25-2005, 8:15am
Outstanding, Jim, as always.

Stanley Cox
May-25-2005, 8:20am
Jim, The other posters used up all the adjectives, so I will say a great job well done. I look forward to pics of #35.
Stanley http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/coffee.gif

Jim Hilburn
May-25-2005, 9:09am
One thing I had never realized about tortoise binding is that it's basically a translucent dark red with amber "swirled" together. The amber is quite see-through, so when you back it with the white binding, your actually looking through the binding and seeing the white below. On the peghead, the tortoise is so thin that it really shows up more than on the body, but when you see it in person, you get the 3-D effect of looking through the binding.

Mando4Life
May-25-2005, 12:07pm
Outstanding!!!

Love the tortoise binding.

Awesome, awesome mandolin.

WBL

mandoryan
May-25-2005, 12:35pm
Jim, you're a true artisan. That is a magnificent looking mandolin that I'm sure sounds twice as good as it looks.

Austin Clark
May-25-2005, 12:40pm
I sure hope by the time I hit #34, mine look even half as good! wow..... maybe I should just quit now....
-austin

mandoJeremy
May-25-2005, 3:16pm
Hey Jim that binding is perfect with the white. The only thing I usually don't like about tortoise bound mandos is that from a distance it just looks like it has no binding or it is black and just doesn't do the lines of the F-style justice. Yours definitely keeps the style happening and just looks great.

Jim Hilburn
May-25-2005, 5:12pm
Yeah, without the white line, it would need to be a blond.
I shipped it out today with only about an hour of playing time on it. I wanted to keep it over the weekend and show it around some, but the buyer has to take it home with him next week...to Africa. Totally by coincidence, this is my second mandolin to go there, even though they will be farther apart from each other there than the 2 furthest I have in the states, one in Oregon and one in Mass. And, believe it or not, the one I'm making now is also going there. But it's a second one for my Egyptian customer.

Will Kimble
May-25-2005, 5:34pm
Really beautiful work, Jim! #

It is fun to put ivoroid/black behind the tortoise, too. #A little more subtle, but still lights up the tortoise. #The trouble I have is with the fingerboards, it is too hard for me to fret them - especially with mando wire - if you back the tortoise there. #So I side bind it and the tortoise gets very dark... #I guess I could bind it with w/b, recut the fret slots, then bind with tortoise - is that what you do?

Will Kimble

Jim Hilburn
May-25-2005, 6:17pm
I just nip off and overhang all the binding. I do file the nipped part so it will lay flat on the binding. I also press the frets in before the board is installed.

Gibsonman
May-25-2005, 7:06pm
Very Very nice Jim. When are you going to set up shop?

Mandolin Enthusiast
Jun-01-2005, 4:58pm
One of the many benefits of having Jim for a neighbor is that I get to see his mandolins built, and then am ususally among the first to play them. #I played #34 within an hour or two of it's initial stringing; another home run! #Congratulations, Jim! (Sorry about that big scratch I put in the back!)
--Drew#http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/coffee.gif

man doh
Jun-01-2005, 5:19pm
Drew,

Let me know when the next house on the street goes up for sale.

fredfrank
Jun-01-2005, 7:45pm
I was able to examine and play a Hilburn "A" model at the Old Blue festival in Grand Junction, CO, and what a thing of beauty it was! Not only do the pictures look good, but they look good in person. And they sound wonderful. Makes me glad I'm on your list, Jim. I am on your list aren't I, Jim?

Jim Hilburn
Jun-01-2005, 9:09pm
You sure are, Fred.
I'm guessing you saw Karen's A.

fredfrank
Jun-01-2005, 10:00pm
Yup, it was Karen's. Had a little horse on the peghead, I believe.

jimbob
Jun-02-2005, 12:52pm
I received # 34 last week. I can only describe it as AWSOME !! #I waited about a year and a half and waffled on many options before this purchase. Good things come to those that wait ! #I wanted the tortise binding and am very pleased with the way it turned out. The mandolin has very little time on it yet, but it sounds absolutely fantastic. It also plays very easily. I really like the radius on the fingerboard. Jim, I can't thank you enough for the effort you put into this instrument and I really appreciated doing business with you. I can't wait to get my A model to round out the Hilburn set ! I'm not really much of a picker, but learning on this instrument will be a real pleasure. #
I'll try to post some more pics when I get the mandolin back home to Angola. Thanks again, Jim !!! http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif