PDA

View Full Version : Weber OM in Classifieds

otterly2k
May-24-2005, 3:43pm
Hi folks-
My friend / mando playmate just posted her Weber OM to the classifieds. I have no direct interest in a sale, but can vouch for this instrument, having played it many times. She finds the Weber neck to be too thick...which is a tendency of Webers, and so it's not quite the right fit for her. But it is a beautiful and very well made instrument...based on the Absaroka, with a D hole and custom finish.

It has a 20" scale, so would be a good instrument for someone who wants to be able to reach and play a lot of melodic lines / notes, and not just chords. B/c of the shorter scale, it doesn't quite have the boomy-ness of a zouk...but it does have nice resonance and sustain, decent volume, solid build, nice action.

Just FYI. (sorry to feed your OMAS, but I figure it'd be there with or without this info).
KE

steve V. johnson
May-24-2005, 7:29pm
SHHHHHHH!!!! I have my hopes... !! <GG> Ooooh, I didn't realize it had a D-hole! Cooool!!

I covet a Weber, of my own imagined design. This one is a variation on one of my imaginations. I'm not sure about the 20" scale tho... I'm one of the (few, perhaps) around here who are accustomed to the longer ones, and I thought the Weber standard 22" was right for me.

"Thick" in which dimension, Karen? I guess not "width" as in width of the nut... So it must be the measure from the fretboard back to where the thumb goes? (I haven't thought much about that dimension... I was instantly comfortable with the Crump.. Hmmmm.....)

Thanks,

stv

otterly2k
May-24-2005, 9:53pm
yes, thick from the surface of the fretboard to the back curve of the neck. an almost semi-circle profile. To my hands (and that of the owner's) kind of baseball battish. Would be fine for someone with bigger hands, I suppose. To me, I find that I lose some of the advantage of the shorter scale b/c of the amount of my grip that is taken up with the thickness of the neck.... to a different set of hands, it might feel just right.

Stv- you know how the Tril neck was too slender (toothpick?) and the instrument felt kind of delicate in your hands...this Weber has a more chunky feel all over... like you could really wail on it and not worry at all. Of course, it is a carved top (not an induced arch like the Tril).. so it is a bit thicker. As I said, IMHO, this would be a great instrument for melodic work... so if you're thinking of branching in that direction, this might be a good option for you. It would be a different beastie than the Crump for certain.

If you want me to investigate anything in particular about it, let me know. And of course, ask the seller...I'll vouch for her trustworthiness. Like you, she is on a quest for the "just right" OM.
KE

steve V. johnson
May-25-2005, 1:26am
Hey Karen,

Good description, I understand! Very clear! Thanks! I've had a couple of emails with Judith, and I don't think that there's anything more I need to know about it. She sent along a nice picture, too!

I pretty much 'study' the Weber website, so I have a pretty good idea (born of obsession and lust... <GG>) of the Weber thang.

I just have to settle the 20" vs. 22" question with myself (sometimes we get along... ) and figure out if I can meet her price, which will be a bit difficult, actually.

It's all in process, and as usual, open to the highest and quickest bidder.

Many thanks,

stv

otterly2k
May-26-2005, 11:16am
Well, I hope you and yourself will be able to come to some sort of agreement.

And I hope she and herself will too, as I know she is wrestling with similar questions... at any rate, while she is deliberating, I don't think she is in a big hurry.

que sera sera,
KE

PCypert
May-26-2005, 7:28pm
20 inch coming off my Crump sounds like a mandola.
Paul

steve V. johnson
May-27-2005, 12:53am
Paul sez "20 inch coming off my Crump sounds like a mandola. "

To quote John Wayne from the film "The Alamo", "It do, don't it?"

<GG>

stv