PDA

View Full Version : D'Angelico Oval Hole at Carter's

Don Grieser
Sep-02-2016, 9:04pm
This is about the most amazing oval hole I've seen pics of and heard. What tone!

n0gO6pPICi4

https://cartervintage.com/products/dangelico-excel-1940s?variant=27154087811

Nat
Sep-02-2016, 9:24pm
I believe that mandolin was last sold by Mandolin Brothers and is pictured at the far right of the postcard MB used to sell featuring three or so D'Angelico mandolins and one D'Aquisto. Hard to tell from the postcard, but it looks to be the one.

fernmando
Sep-04-2016, 2:00pm
Ashby can pull tone from a plunger. That said, this mandolin struck me as exceptional also.

Billy Packard
Sep-04-2016, 4:59pm
Definitely the fanciest D'Angelico mandolin I've seen and the price to go with it, $18,500.

I've seen & played two others which were similar but way less ornate. This one has the bling for sure!

Billy

billypackardmandolin.com

Jim Garber
Sep-04-2016, 10:08pm
If it was one that Mandolin Brothers had a number of years ago, I recall them asking even more, like over $20K.

Ivan Kelsall
Sep-05-2016, 1:01am
That mandolin did sound excellent,but i wish they'd calmed the room acoustics down a bit - too much reverb to get the real tone (IMHO). Ashby Frank's one of my favorite mandolin players & they couldn't have got a finer player to demo. it - brilliant !!,
Ivan;)

Jim Garber
Sep-05-2016, 9:05am
I had seen two similar D'Angelico mandolins like that one at the Mandolin Brothers table probably two decades ago at the Long Island Guitar Show. I recall that they were asking over $20K each for them. I played both and neither blew me away at that time and certainly not at that price. I also played a few of the D'Angelico mandolins at Mandolin Brothers a year or so ago and IIRC one of the A models sounded and played nice. I played that 12 string one that Andy Statman demoed in a video but that one was ridiculous IMHO.

PJ Doland
Sep-05-2016, 9:21am
I can't imagine I'd be able to resist the urge to play the Godfather theme on that thing.

CES
Sep-05-2016, 10:23am
Love the look, and Andy makes it sound great! Probably the best arch top acoustic I've played was a D'Angelico at Gruhn's a couple of years ago. IIRC, they were asking 38,500 for it. Man, it was amazing, even with older strings...

F-2 Dave
Sep-05-2016, 11:06am
Great sounding mandolin, even through my tiny ipad speaker.

Bernie Daniel
Sep-06-2016, 5:48pm
What a beautiful instrument with tone to match. I especially like the asymmetry of the points -- but in truth he kind of borrowed that idea from the Gibson F-style....

Ryk Loske
Sep-06-2016, 5:54pm
I know that Pete Langdell made a mandolin along the lines of the D'Angelico. Anybody here have or seen it?

Ryk

j. condino
Sep-06-2016, 8:17pm
... in truth he kind of borrowed that idea from the Gibson F-style....

Why does everything have to revolve around the @!$%&*# Gibson F5?????????

D'angelico's work had zero to do with the F5 design and was almost 100% copied from Lyon & Healy to the point that many of his mandolins even copied the funky Lyon & Healy carved violin scroll style headstocks. Both he and D'Aquisto regularly stated that that they had no interest in the F5 design or the bluegrass music they associated with it. To two old Italian guys, the only music you played on a mandolin were the traditional European styles associated with the immigrant communities where they grew up and lived in New York.

Charles E.
Sep-06-2016, 8:32pm
You beat me to it James, L&H all the way.

Bernie Daniel
Sep-06-2016, 9:09pm
Well OK then maybe Lyon-Healy took a clue from Gibson and then D'Angelico got an inspiration from L & H? And yes not to been cantankerous I do think most flat back American mandolins do give a nod to Gibson. That does not seem too heretical to me?

Jim Garber
Sep-06-2016, 9:42pm
I knew a person in the NY Mandolin Orchestra who inherited her mom's D'A L&H copy that she ordered directly from John D'A. A beautiful understated one.

brunello97
Sep-07-2016, 6:22pm
Anyone know what the scale length on these JD'A mandolins is?

Mick

peter.coombe
Sep-07-2016, 6:35pm
Well OK then maybe Lyon-Healy took a clue from Gibson and then D'Angelico got an inspiration from L & H? And yes not to been cantankerous I do think most flat back American mandolins do give a nod to Gibson. That does not seem too heretical to me?

About the only thing the Lyon and Healy mandolins and the Gibson oval hole mandolins have in common is the top and back are carved and they both have a varnished finish. I make both styles, so have a pretty good handle on the differences. The body sizes are different, the body shape is different, the arching is very different, the graduations are also very different, the neck angle is different, the bridge is different, the bridge height is different, the tailpiece is different, headstock is different, and so it goes on and on. All these differences make a different sound. The world of vintage mandolins does not revolve around the Gibson F5. You just need to read Graham McDonald's book to realise that.

Jim Garber
Sep-07-2016, 8:20pm
Anyone know what the scale length on these JD'A mandolins is?

Mick

The only reference I see in my files is one early A model (not listed in his ledgers) described as having a shorter scale since he was selling these to classical players. I would take that to mean that he copied that scale from the L&H. OTOH one made in 1952 and sold by Mandolin Brothers is described as having a scale length of 13-7/8"

brunello97
Sep-07-2016, 8:54pm
The only reference I see in my files is one early A model (not listed in his ledgers) described as having a shorter scale since he was selling these to classical players. I would take that to mean that he copied that scale from the L&H. OTOH one made in 1952 and sold by Mandolin Brothers is described as having a scale length of 13-7/8"

Thanks, Jim. Was it the early L+H model had a longer scale and they switched to a shorter one?

Mick

Jim Garber
Sep-07-2016, 9:12pm
Thanks, Jim. Was it the early L+H model had a longer scale and they switched to a shorter one?

Mick

Yes, but these early D'A mandolins were made in the 1930s. I would guess that John would make you whatever you liked.

brunello97
Sep-07-2016, 9:16pm
Yes, but these early D'A mandolins were made in the 1930s. I would guess that John would make you whatever you liked.

Check. JD'A was twelve when the first of these L+H models rolled out the door.

Mick