PDA

View Full Version : left hand finger strengthening tool .

Ge23ev
Sep-01-2016, 10:37pm
hey folks
i came across this wrist/finger/forearm exercise "device" which i think is a great tool to build up the muscle on the left hand fingers specially the little pinky.
its called PowerGrip from PurAthletics.
picked it up at a Winners store in Toronto for 7.99 CAD.
questions and comments super welcome
hope this helps
thanks for viewing

gtani7
Sep-02-2016, 12:15am
i have a couple i like better, the Dyna Flex spinning ball and the Power web:

http://www.fitter1.com/Classic-Power-Web_p_150.html

https://www.amazon.com/Dynaflex-Pro-Gyro-Exerciser/dp/B004RZIBZU

(altho I don't use any of them that much). The best strengthener is playing yoru instrument

Ausdoerrt
Sep-02-2016, 3:08am
Something as simple as a rubber ring is plenty effective.

Although I generally prefer to just play the mandolin :D

Tobin
Sep-02-2016, 6:36am
Devices like these are marginally helpful. They can build grip strength, sure, but it's not really the same use of muscles and tendons as playing the mandolin, and they don't really do much for dexterity (which is the real key, not strength). We use our fingertips, with very arched finger shapes, and need to stretch our hands into various positions with individual fingers splayed out. I tried all manner of grip strength gadgets when I was recovering from my shattered wrist after my horse accident. But none of them were as effective as just playing the mandolin and letting that strength build over time.

Ge23ev
Sep-02-2016, 6:58am
I agree it's not as effective or fun as playing the mandolin. But you can't always do that. Say you're on the bus. Or just in a crowd you could just play with these little toys to keep from getting bored and build up your left hand

Ausdoerrt
Sep-02-2016, 7:04am
A tad off topic, but I have actually had times when I'd just bust the mandolin out on the bus and make musical fun of whatever was playing on the radio :D

MikeEdgerton
Sep-02-2016, 7:52am
They actually have those devices in different "strengths". I spent a year in physical therapy and they had me using them. They are color coded.

https://www.amazon.com/Finger-Strengthener-Exerciser-Guitar-Therapy/dp/B016XB524S/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1472820736&sr=8-2&keywords=finger+exerciser

EdHanrahan
Sep-02-2016, 8:25am
This exact debate was raging in Guitar Player mag when I let my subscription lapse in, oh, '91 or so.

Ge23ev
Sep-02-2016, 9:01am
I wouldn't mind doing that on the bus. But I'm pretty sure others would lol

mandolin breeze
Sep-02-2016, 10:24am
I used the same one as Ge23ev and MikeE, problem is, it's constructed from very cheap plastic and sloppy fit, so they don't last. But they DO WORK. In fact, for me, with regular use, I soon noticed definite increased finger strength that absolutely translated to benefits on the fretboard. I like that you have individual finger control, so you can isolate fingers (hello pinky), develop little "exercise arpeggios" or exercise routines. After my plastic one broke I went back to ebay and hit paydirt. Same in principle, with improvements and built very well with quality materials. Turn the little wheels to adjust the tension, works fantastic. I can't say enough good things about this particular unit. For the small investment, I would recommend that you give it a try.

Bertram Henze
Sep-02-2016, 10:26am
A tad off topic, but I have actually had times when I'd just bust the mandolin out on the bus and make musical fun of whatever was playing on the radio :D

Good luck trying this where I live. Somebody'd make you step off the bus, wood splinters in hand.

Mark Wilson
Sep-02-2016, 11:15am
This exact debate was raging in Guitar Player mag when I let my subscription lapse in, oh, '91 or so.so you don't know who won then?

Mandobart
Sep-02-2016, 12:37pm
I'm told there are no muscles in the fingers. You can definitely strengthen your hands and improve dexterity. I've spent 1000's of hours working on engines, remodeling homes, doing lots of manual labor, etc. So playing any instrument for multiple hours at a gig or festival doesn't tire my hands or fingers at all. Some of these devices could cause injury if one takes a "too much too fast" approach. Like any intentional exercise plan.

Relio
Sep-02-2016, 3:20pm
My left forearm will wear down way before my fingers. If I plan to jam for a full day, I usually just do muted chops all day so I don't expend any left forearm energy on rhythm. I've been told by other jammers that it sounds just fine.

bradlaird
Sep-02-2016, 3:44pm
...none of them were as effective as just playing the mandolin and letting that strength build over time.

Tobin is right I think. Here is my left hand strengthening device:

I can tell you this. I get Popeye forearms and can't play a mandolin for days!

FLATROCK HILL
Sep-02-2016, 4:23pm
I'm told there are no muscles in the fingers.

The phrase 'Don't believe everything you hear' comes to mind.:confused:

LadysSolo
Sep-02-2016, 4:32pm
I spend a lot of time on the road for my job, and I recently bought one to use while driving to help with boredom and since I would rather be playing my mandolin. It makes me feel like I am accomplishing something since I think the State Highway Patrol would frown on mandolinin' while driving (maybe more than texting while driving!) :mandosmiley:

Bertram Henze
Sep-03-2016, 12:40am
I'm told there are no muscles in the fingers.
The phrase 'Don't believe everything you hear' comes to mind.:confused:

It's true (http://www.medicinenet.com/image-collection/finger_anatomy_picture/picture.htm).
Fingers are puppets on strings, so to speak. Move your left hand fingers like you were playing and feel your left forearm muscles with the right hand - you'll find out that Popeye the Sailor is really a trained mandolinist.

FLATROCK HILL
Sep-03-2016, 8:12am
It's true (http://www.medicinenet.com/image-collection/finger_anatomy_picture/picture.htm).
Fingers are puppets on strings, so to speak. Move your left hand fingers like you were playing and feel your left forearm muscles with the right hand - you'll find out that Popeye the Sailor is really a trained mandolinist.

Thanks Bertram...and you're right of course. There are 'finger muscles' so to speak but no..they are not located in the fingers.
My apologies to Mandobart for my flippant response. :redface:

MikeEdgerton
Sep-03-2016, 8:24am
If you've ever had an arm or shoulder injury with tendon damage you're probably going to see these in physical therapy, assuming you go for physical therapy. I can't tell you if it will do anything for your playing but it will help bring back dexterity to an injured arm. It's not an end all be all. I can tell you that you'll feel the effects of the exercise in the top of your forearm. It was a very small part of my therapy, most of my damage was farther up to the shoulder.

FLATROCK HILL
Sep-03-2016, 8:42am
When I'm not able to play for an extended time, my 'finger muscles' (though they be located elsewhere) will maintain their conditioning longer than my callouses.

I think the device may have some usefulness, but it would be more useful if the each button had a surface, ridged to mimic a double coarse of strings.

CES
Sep-03-2016, 9:15am
Agee they could help build dexterity and strength. My approach was to buy an OM...best pinky workout EVER!