PDA

View Full Version : Bill Monroe 223 Songs

MarkELynch
Aug-30-2016, 10:28pm
Notice this Monroe audio file compilation on Archive.org

https://archive.org/details/BillMonroe223Songs

Are these songs really in the public domain as indicated?

pops1
Aug-30-2016, 10:44pm
I doubt any Bill Monroe song is in the public domain. Sonny Bono got the copyright extended from 7 years to 70 years so even the Carter family is not public. Now they are copyrighting arrangements of tunes that should be in public domain. Last time I checked Mississippi Sawyer had at least 7 pages of copyrighted arrangements. With the sale of CD's down they are going after every last dollar.

Sorry pet peeve of mine, as they only pay the top 100 on the charts instead of who is supposed to get paid. ASCAP told be 30 years ago that it would be cost prohibitive to pay the correct people. I told them they don't have a viable business. I still maintain that today.

If you want to record, live performances are exempt, or so I am told.

Trav'linmando
Sep-03-2016, 8:24am
I have used the Archives site for years. Downloaded lots of music. They are usually pretty good about having permission to put up for download. In fact , they will many times have the artists permission posted as well. And of course, will pull data , which is not legal. So yes , I did go ahead and download the file. Includes alternative versions of many song.

Larry

Ivan Kelsall
Sep-04-2016, 2:26am
Many thanks for the link Mark - i didn't even know this existed. Lots of listening coming up later today !!,
Ivan

johnmarkva
Sep-05-2016, 12:02pm
Very interesting. There is a version of "The Wayfaring Stranger" (#177) where it is just Bill and his mandolin that is powerful. It sounds like it was live and he was in the moment! Anyone know where any of these recordings came from?

raycan2
Sep-05-2016, 4:33pm
#67 Southern Flavor is my favorite, he just gets down on the Mandolin.