PDA

View Full Version : NMD Coming Friday - Honoring Don Young

lflngpicker
Aug-23-2016, 7:33pm
It's always a joy to share with my brethren on the Mandolin Cafe when I am awaiting a new (to me) mandolin. I am a family member of Don Young, the former President and Co-Founder of National Resophonic Guitars. We lost him very quickly on June 15. I decided I needed to bring a Resophonic mandolin into my life that he oversaw the process for its design and completion before he retired in 2014. I bought the one listed in the Cafe this past week. I appreciate Steve's very fair price and fast shipping. My dream is about to come true, and I hope it helps me to remember Don more easily and feel comfort when I can't receive one of his thoughtful phone calls. He was a very humble and compassionate man, and quite talented. His Hawaiian slide playing and singing is his single greatest musical ability as a multi-instrumentalist and guitar luthier.

Here is a view or two of my National RM-1 Mandolin. I added a picture of Don:

Cousin Don Young, Co-Founder of National Resophonic Guitars RIP

BrianWilliam
Aug-24-2016, 7:43am
Sorry for your loss. Enjoy your new mandolin.

Mark Wilson
Aug-24-2016, 10:16am
I decided I needed to bring a Resophonic mandolin into my life that he oversaw the process for its design and completion before he retired in 2014. I bought the one listed in the Cafe this past week.I lingered over that one on a few occasions. I would like to try one and buying one is probably my best chance since finding one local is out of the question.

Enjoy! Looks like a beauty

samlyman
Aug-24-2016, 10:34am
My condolences about Don!

Welcome to the RM1 club. Be sure to check out the RM1 Social Group on the cafe for advice on setup, strings, etc.

Best wishes, Sam

lflngpicker
Aug-24-2016, 11:08am
Brian, Mark and Sam! Thank you. It warms my heart to get your condolences and congrats on my new instrument as well. Sam, I will get involved with the reso-mandolin group! Thanks, Dan

CES
Aug-24-2016, 11:16am
Prayers for you and your family.

I love my RM-1; it's easily the most dynamic instrument I own, and it's the one that always makes people say, "Ooooh, now what is that?!" when I pull it out of the case.

lflngpicker
Aug-24-2016, 11:20am
Thanks for the prayers, Chuck.

Now that you mention it, I can see how you would get a very curious and eager response. That should be fun. Thanks again, Chuck. Dan

lflngpicker
Aug-27-2016, 11:52am
According to Jason Workman at National Guitar, My RM-1 turned out to be a 2006, the second year of production. This is important to me because it means my 1st cousin and close friend, Don Young, will have personally played it on his bench in the shop at National. He played and inspected each instrument before it was boxed and shipped to the dealer. Mine was sold by Elderly Instruments, originally.

It didn't arrive on Friday, so I am expecting it today. :mandosmiley:

lflngpicker
Aug-28-2016, 6:13pm
Thanks to Steve for a great instrument. I received it in beautiful time and in great condition. Wow! This National Mandolin's fit and finish are incredible and it is so well appointed. I am grateful and proud for the chance to own it. I know my cousin and friend, Don Young, is smiling somewhere.

pops1
Aug-28-2016, 9:14pm
Iflngpicker, always wanted one of these and looked hard at them while touring the factory. Was too concerned with the amp project to think about spending the $$.Congrats and enjoy, I am sure Don will be smiling.

lflngpicker
Aug-29-2016, 10:42pm
Hi Pops1! Thanks for reflecting on our mutual friendship with Don. I so appreciate your gracious words about him. Stay in touch!

Mark Wilson
Aug-30-2016, 5:28pm
Hi Dan! Any plans for a video clip review of the RM-1? :cool:

lflngpicker
Sep-06-2016, 6:27pm
Hi Dan! Any plans for a video clip review of the RM-1? :cool:

Hey Mark! Just spotted your posting. I surely will be making a video-- I don't seem to be able to keep from having fun recording vids no matter how they may sound! ;) Be well! Dan