PDA

View Full Version : Solidbody guitar to tenor conversion

Grandpa G
Aug-21-2016, 8:51pm
Hi All,
From time to time I see solidbody electric guitars converted to Tenor guitars on EBAY and I am wondering how it is accomplished. Possibly a stationary belt sander is used? It seems like the frets remain intact during the narrowing of the 6 to 4 string conversion.
Thanks in advance
Grandpa G

Chip Stewart
Aug-21-2016, 9:12pm
The good conversions use a new neck. This is why it is mostly done with guitars that have bolt-on necks. I have seen a few conversions where the neck width was reduced and the nut was moved to the 2nd fret position, but these seem like monstrosities that should be avoided. Eastwood is still selling the Warren Ellis 2P solid body electric tenor guitar on their discontinued page. It's a very good deal once you take off the 30%. I purchased one and I'm very happy with it.

thistle3585
Aug-24-2016, 9:36am
I've done a couple and it is easier to build a new neck than to mess with the old one. Typically, you put a spacer on either side of the neck pocket to make the pocket narrower. You can also adjust the scale a bit but you have to do it keeping the current bridge location in mind unless you plan to refinish it in the process.

Grandpa G
Aug-27-2016, 5:15pm
Thanks for the thoughts. Not sure if I will attempt it but its good to know it can be done...
grandpag123.com

dcav
Oct-06-2016, 11:31am
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-2BbGA_hPo

Here's mine, not a solid body, but a cheap epiphone with a bolt on neck. I'm having some input issues, so dont listen to those!

David

ARK
Oct-07-2016, 1:09am
On the Soares'y website Mike Soares describes (and prices) how he converts six-string solid-bodies for a living. He either adapts the neck of a Fender/Squier mini or uses his stock of custom made necks.