PDA

View Full Version : Olde Town Pickn Parlor

Russ Donahue
Aug-20-2016, 6:24pm
I had a chance to visit this shop and had a very nice experience. A variety of nice mandolins (and other stringed instruments) and friendly staff. The instruments were clean, in tune and easily accessible. Played a 2003 Krishot A style that was nice and bright with good attention to detail. They also had some other very nice instruments hanging on the wall...definitely a mando-friendly establishment. Looking forward to visiting again.

raycan2
Aug-20-2016, 7:14pm
I was planning to go today but did not make it, and the closed on Sunday.....I did make it to Denver Folk Loar Center and messed with a couple of Weber mandolins... They were very very cool guys and were very helpful....But I still want to check out the Collings.

Russ Donahue
Aug-20-2016, 8:03pm
There is a good selection of Collings at the Pickin Parlor. You will find the whole range as I recall.

colorado_al
Aug-20-2016, 8:34pm
Olde Town Pickin Parlor is the best mandolin shop in the Denver area. They have a great selection of new and used mandolins. Also great selection of fantastic guitars.
Tejon Street Music in Colorado Springs is also very good. Both are Collings dealers.
Denver Folklore Center is also good, but they don't have as big a selection.

Rich Benson
Aug-20-2016, 8:36pm
I think that Krishot is the best A style in the shop. Liked it a lot.

wxfloyd
Aug-20-2016, 10:10pm
Have any of you had any experience with these shops doing any setup/repair work? I have an Eastman MD-315 with upgraded bridge, tailpiece, and tuning machines. It's currently strung with some Gibson Sam Bush Monel strings, which are fine, but I want to move to D'Addario bronze strings and would like to go ahead and get a setup done. I bought the mandolin used from the Pacific NW and haven't had it set up since I got it. I just want to make sure everything is still up to snuff.

raycan2
Aug-20-2016, 10:37pm
Yea Colorado Springs has a good place I was told, iam not in a hurry I just had shoulder surgery and can't play for 6 months.

raycan2
Aug-20-2016, 10:39pm
But you were right the Denver Folklore Center as nice as they were did not have a big selection on Mandolins, 3 Webbers A style and Kentucky style 600 & 500 series and Eastmans 3-4 of them.....

Rich Benson
Aug-20-2016, 10:47pm
By the way, it's The Denver Folklore Center

Jordan S.
Aug-20-2016, 10:49pm
Have any of you had any experience with these shops doing any setup/repair work? I have an Eastman MD-315 with upgraded bridge, tailpiece, and tuning machines. It's currently strung with some Gibson Sam Bush Monel strings, which are fine, but I want to move to D'Addario bronze strings and would like to go ahead and get a setup done. I bought the mandolin used from the Pacific NW and haven't had it set up since I got it. I just want to make sure everything is still up to snuff.

I've had work done on mandolins at both The Pickin' Parlor and at the Folklore Center. Both have very skilled and capable luthiers.

raycan2
Aug-20-2016, 11:07pm
oh,, my bad it is the Denver Folklore Center...misspelled on my end..

Caleb
Aug-21-2016, 8:36am
Olde Town Pickin Parlor might be the coolest music store name ever.

Stevo75
Aug-21-2016, 9:09am
That Krishot A is an excellent mandolin.

I've had work done at the pickin parlor and they do great work.

raycan2
Aug-21-2016, 1:12pm
I have to go back home to Wyoming today,,,,,But I am close enough or 5hrs. Away to make another trip just for a weekend and try the different stores out.

Pick&Grin
Aug-23-2016, 3:53pm
A great place! Was there a year ago and the staff were very friendly and helpful.
Looking forward to getting there again.

paul dirac
Aug-24-2016, 3:37pm
Just a quick +1 to Kitt (sp?) and his hospitality last year when I stopped through. He brought out the Monte GA he had at the time, a special experience. Also told a few tall tales on Bob Givens that were insightful... Great shop.