PDA

View Full Version : What is THE place for mandolin parts and accessories

ajm2qc03
Aug-15-2016, 12:48pm
After reading a bunch of threads that talk about essential upgrades, I decided to look for into upgrades for myself. I started with the advertised online sites on the right-hand side of the MC homepage, but I feel like they don't really EVERYTHING. Each place has maybe 15-30 accessories TOTAL....a couple of options for tail-pieces, a couple of options for bridges, some pick guards, like 2 tuner options, and maybe a nut here and there. When I tried looking for picks, no one place had several different options, it seemed like one would care this brand and another, that brand. I come from playing guitar where there are online WAREHOUSES full of 70 trillion different options for all kinds of different accessories. Is there a place like this, but for mandolin?

I mainly am looking for a bone nut, and I want try out some different picks but doesn't necessarily want to spend a ton of time surfing 10 different sites to get a whole picture of prices/brands.

mandroid
Aug-15-2016, 12:53pm
Sorry No One Place Unless you consider the whole Internet a single thing.

Try walking into some music stores where You Live. :whistling::whistling:

ajm2qc03
Aug-15-2016, 1:09pm
I have yet to find a great one where I am living currently :( Just when I find a great shop in a community where I am, I move. But I appreciate your suggestion, mandroid. I do need find a good one around here, I know they exist

MikeEdgerton
Aug-15-2016, 2:05pm
One of the best mandolin and banjo shops in the country WAS in your area. Unfortunately after Bill Sullivan passed away his shop changed drastically. Online take a look at gregboyd.com. He has a pretty good list of mandolin specific parts.

Bill McCall
Aug-15-2016, 2:26pm
Sounds like a great business opportunity. Open that shop and get rich. can't imagine why no one does it already.:))

ajm2qc03
Aug-15-2016, 2:32pm
That's sad to hear...I really enjoy perusing through a good shop and admiring and touching/playing many instruments (much to the owners chagrin). What shop was it, if you don't mind me asking? I know of a few that I am going to visit soon

ajm2qc03
Aug-15-2016, 2:33pm
Bill, are you looking to invest into a great business opportunity....if so, then do I have a proposal for you

MikeEdgerton
Aug-15-2016, 2:43pm
I was looking at your location and thinking you were closer than you are. Probably because the last time I was at First Quality Music I was coming from St. Louis on a multi-stop trip. You're three to four hours away.

CES
Aug-15-2016, 3:17pm
Get the bone nut and anything thing else equipment wise (tuners, tailpieces, bridges) at Stew Mac or from individuals (Cumberland Acoustics bridges, for example). Picks are best acquired, IME, either from the source itself (Bluechip or V picks, for ex) or one of the cafe sponsors (I've bought Wegens from Elderly and Janet Davis Music, for ex).

Sorry, but don't know of anything online that has it all, though if you were to call Elderly or TMS, they might be able to hook you up if you had specific parts to request through their repair shop.

Rodney Riley
Aug-15-2016, 5:18pm
http://www.musicfolk.com or https://faziosmusic.com/
Check these 2 places there in the St. Louis area. Wife bought me a Weber Gallatin from Fazio's one Christmas. And she bought my Boat Paddle from Music Folk for Christmas about 4 years later. Yep, been together since 1975 and I'm gonna keep her. ;)

ajm2qc03
Aug-16-2016, 7:42am
i've definitely heard of music folk, i think i'm going to take my mando in to that them set it up. i'll check out the place when

colorado_al
Aug-16-2016, 10:23am
Go to Music Folk. They are a great shop and have super helpful staff. They'll have a bunch of what you are looking for. They also have a good inventory of new and used mandolins.