PDA

View Full Version : Gibson F-4 with neck repair

Bernie Daniel
Aug-13-2016, 10:34am
How high would you go?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/182236110511?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Northwest Steve
Aug-13-2016, 11:37am
Less than what is currently bid.

jim simpson
Aug-13-2016, 1:35pm
I wondered about the two holes above the bridge. A pickup attachment at one time?

LadysSolo
Aug-13-2016, 1:56pm
Obviously they think they are sitting on a gold mine...... but it is worth whatever someone will pay for it.

Bernie Daniel
Aug-13-2016, 4:47pm
Obviously they think they are sitting on a gold mine...... but it is worth whatever someone will pay for it.

Ha ha.

Actually the seller has been very polite and responsive to some email queries I made on it. Seems to be an family heirloom but being sole because no one plays in the family any more. Which is kind of sad IMO.

My interest would be to buy it and fix it up. But right now the bidding has reached point that makes such a move questionable. There might be other things wrong that the seller is unaware of and even repaired the price could never approach an undamaged F-4 which are not exactly rare instruments themselves?

houseworker
Aug-13-2016, 5:11pm
But right now the bidding has reached point that makes such a move questionable.

And it's not even reached the seller's reserve yet.

Ken Waltham
Aug-13-2016, 7:08pm
If I wanted an F4, and wasn't concerned about resell, I would buy that for the 2K range. Any competent repairman can fix the heel crack no problem. It will scare potential buyers, but, if you want to play it and keep it, no worries IMHO. Put a p/g on it, you're golden.
Even maybe $2500.00

Bernie Daniel
Aug-13-2016, 7:15pm

Maybe someone will get nice sounding mandolin out of it. Except for the bad neck repair it looks pretty good.

Bernie Daniel
Aug-13-2016, 7:30pm

Maybe someone will get nice sounding mandolin out of it. Except for the bad neck repair it looks pretty good.

Bernie Daniel
Aug-13-2016, 7:32pm
If I wanted an F4, and wasn't concerned about resell, I would buy that for the 2K range. Any competent repairman can fix the heel crack no problem. It will scare potential buyers, but, if you want to play it and keep it, no worries IMHO. Put a p/g on it, you're golden. Even maybe $2500.00

But what about that post someone put into the dove tail?

Jack Roberts
Aug-13-2016, 7:37pm

It's not 1911-1912 anyway. Well, maybe it is if the serial number is right, but the finish is wrong and the tuners are wrong, and of course the bridge is wrong. It could have been refinished long ago and somebody swiped the tuners, but I think it is more likely that they got the serial number wrong. What do you think?

The neck would have to be redone completely, and the funny bridge that needs to be replaced. Not a museum piece, but I own a mandolin that looks a lot worse that I paid a lot more for just because of the sound.

jim simpson
Aug-13-2016, 7:45pm
But what about that post someone put into the dove tail?

Yes, that dowel! - and those mysterious holes in the top.

Timbofood
Aug-13-2016, 8:57pm
To answer your first question.....
Not that high!
The holes in the top don't worry me very much, the neck thing is more worrisome. Yes, all correctable but, seems a bit dear for what it will need.
The ever famous "family heritage value" cannot be discounted or even have a value placed on! Personal value is so hard to try to sell. There's a jewelry reference but, I've made it before many times.

Jack Roberts
Aug-13-2016, 9:23pm
The ever famous "family heritage value" cannot be discounted or even have a value placed on! Personal value is so hard to try to sell....

I bought my F4 from a friend who was quite a bit older than me. He found it under his mother's bed after she died many years back, and it had been unplayed for over 60 years.

At first he thought it was worth a lot more than it really is (he watched Antique Road Show often) but I documented the value and offered him the price that similar instruments in similar condition were going for. It took two years for my friend to decide the best way to honor his mother was to sell to someone who would appreciate it and care for it, so it finally came to me.

Timbofood
Aug-13-2016, 9:43pm
That kind of proves the point, something (anything) will find the right person who will understand the real value and allow some "family value" as long as the seller has the time to find the right buyer.
Better to get an instrument in the right hands as far as I'm concerned. I'd prefer someone who will appreciate what they have and let them have it for an "agreeable" sum. Than wait, sell it to someone who will never really appreciate what it is and "play the market" with it for whatever reason. I've done that with any number of "nice pieces" that deserved "good homes" and, I feel really good abut every one of them!

darrylicshon
Aug-13-2016, 9:55pm
I've always wanted one but it's tpo high for me , plus i don't have anougth spare cash right now. One day I'll have one

Bob A
Aug-15-2016, 12:56am
Under 2K would be reasonable, as long as the top hadn't sunk. Pics could be better. A good luthier could fix the neck so you'd never know it had been busted. It's not too bad for a hundred years old, all things considered, and you'd end up with a reasonably-priced F4. But who knows whether it would have The Sound, or not, once the work was done.

So, do you feel lucky, and patient, enough to take a chance? Could be a bargain if you really want an F4, but can't really afford one.

houseworker
Aug-16-2016, 2:12am
Closed still short of its reserve at $1850. He's trying again: http://www.ebay.com/itm/The-Gibson-Mandolin-F4-/182244827276

ollaimh
Aug-16-2016, 5:55pm
is it pretty much all origional and all good except for the heel crack? if so it seems to me it might be a good deal up to three grand. call me an optimist. i sold my F 4 to fund a harp. it was 1914 and nice but they aren't as loud as twenties As by a long shot so i prefered my twenties As.

Bernie Daniel
Aug-19-2016, 6:15pm
Under 2K would be reasonable, as long as the top hadn't sunk. Pics could be better. A good luthier could fix the neck so you'd never know it had been busted. It's not too bad for a hundred years old, all things considered, and you'd end up with a reasonably-priced F4. But who knows whether it would have The Sound, or not, once the work was done.

So, do you feel lucky, and patient, enough to take a chance? Could be a bargain if you really want an F4, but can't really afford one.

Yes I was wondering about top sink too. Although top repairs don't scare me any more -- I know how to take vintage Gibsons apart now and even get them back together again. So that is a flaw I could fix in the basement! :)

Less certain about redoing that neck repair but I think I'd like to tackle it!

Bernie Daniel
Aug-19-2016, 6:19pm
is it pretty much all origional and all good except for the heel crack? if so it seems to me it might be a good deal up to three grand. call me an optimist. i sold my F 4 to fund a harp. it was 1914 and nice but they aren't as loud as twenties As by a long shot so i prefered my twenties As.

Totally agree my experince is post Loar F-4s are generally better mandolins. Not sure why but maybe lessons from the F-5 were applied? Personally I would not pay more than $2 -- 2.5K because repairs are needed and there may well be other problems and the original tuners, bridge and pick guard are gone

Bernie Daniel
Aug-19-2016, 6:23pm
Closed still short of its reserve at $1850. He's trying again: http://www.ebay.com/itm/The-Gibson-Mandolin-F4-/182244827276

Think he is trying for $2000 at least?

Jeff Mando
Aug-19-2016, 7:57pm
He might tell you if you email him. He probably wants to sell it this time around.

Bernie Daniel
Aug-19-2016, 9:09pm
He might tell you if you email him. He probably wants to sell it this time around.

You're probably right -- I think he is realizing it will not bring top dollar. 'm not sure if I want to try and repair that neck or not. it might be a fun challenge though. Trouble is securing a correct bridge, proper tuners and maybe a pick guard would take a very big slice out of any possible profit you might realize by doing a proper fix on the neck joint.

lenf12
Aug-20-2016, 8:11am
I don't know...seller say it needs to be tuned. That should knock about a grand off its selling price. ;)

Len B.
Clearwater, FL

Bernie Daniel
Aug-21-2016, 10:17am
LOL! Yeah, especially if the tune up causes the neck to let loose! :))

I don't know...seller say it needs to be tuned. That should knock about a grand off its selling price. ;)

Len B.
Clearwater, FL

houseworker
Aug-22-2016, 9:30pm
Think he is trying for $2000 at least?

$2550 is the figure the seller has in mind it would seem. The second auction finished pretty much where the first one did. Now he's relisted as a BIN: http://www.ebay.com/itm/The-Gibson-Mandolin-F4-/182253296190?

Bernie Daniel
Aug-23-2016, 7:45am
$2550 is the figure the seller has in mind it would seem. The second auction finished pretty much where the first one did. Now he's relisted as a BIN: http://www.ebay.com/itm/The-Gibson-Mandolin-F4-/182253296190?

Hope he can sell it. Seems like a good guy -- I sent him some info on F-4's and he responded. Knows a lot more about what he has now. Other than the pin in the dovetail joint it looks decent-- assuming no top sag. But fixing that neck would not be so easy I think?

Tom C
Aug-23-2016, 8:43am
For a collector, a heel crack would reduce price by 50%. With that repair, probably more. Hopefully a player can get it at a decent price.

Bernie Daniel
Aug-23-2016, 7:20pm
For a collector, a heel crack would reduce price by 50%. With that repair, probably more. Hopefully a player can get it at a decent price.

For sure -- if the seller can get $2500 he is doing good and someo buyer will have a very nice old mandolin to play --assuming there are no other problems with it. My guess is he'll end up offering again for closer to $2000?

Eddie Sheehy
Aug-23-2016, 7:42pm
He couldn't get $2,000 for it so now he's going for $2550?

Bernie Daniel
Aug-25-2016, 8:06pm
He couldn't get $2,000 for it so now he's going for $2550?

Hope springs eternal.....