PDA

View Full Version : Alternative "strap" material

WoMando
Aug-13-2016, 12:29am
Will braided polypropylene rope mar the finish of a mandolin? I am thinking of using it for a strap.

Thanks!

Ivan Kelsall
Aug-13-2016, 2:42am
If you want a braided strap,why not buy some already braided leather cord from ''Leather Cord USA''. They have an amazing array of cords of all sorts & colours - http://www.leathercordusa.com/
Obviously i don't know if Polyproplyene cord would damage your instrument,but i'm pretty sure that leather cord won't,
Ivan;)

CelticDude
Aug-13-2016, 8:43am
I would contact the maker of your mandolin to find out, as a large variety of finishes are used, and the maker would know best what's on your instrument and how it would react to polypropylene rope.

MikeEdgerton
Aug-13-2016, 9:10am
Vinyl is the enemy of lacquer finishes. You need to make sure you know what the cord is made of that you are braiding. Take a look at this (http://www.frets.com/FretsPages/Musician/GenMaint/Vinyl/vinyl.html) page on Frank Ford's www.frets.com. If pretty much shows what kind of damage can be done. With that says if you can find a cotton paracord or the like it would work. I'm assuming you don't want to use leather. A quick search shows that polypropylene is not vinyl. Just make sure you really have what you think you have.

EdHanrahan
Aug-13-2016, 9:57am
In my experience, some poly rope, even if it seems to feel smooth, is fairly abrasive, wearing into the surface of fiberglass kayaks as well as hands. Leather is fool-proof, time-tested, and (as a pair of boot laces) cheap.

LadysSolo
Aug-13-2016, 1:50pm
I braided straps out of knitting yarn for mine, works fine and is not abrasive (as you can wear sweaters without issue,) but you have to use more than one strand at a time (like 3 or 4 for each hank) to make it strong enough. YMMV.

DHopkins
Aug-13-2016, 4:33pm
If you want a braided strap,why not buy some already braided leather cord from ''Leather Cord USA''. They have an amazing array of cords of all sorts & colours - http://www.leathercordusa.com/
Obviously i don't know if Polyproplyene cord would damage your instrument,but i'm pretty sure that leather cord won't,
Ivan;)

I've made several purchases from them. Their prices are great, shipping is quick if they have it in stock and communication is great.

I would never use anything but leather. There are too many horror stories out there about other materials messing up a finish. I even use leather on my arm rests. If they didn't come with leather, I replace it.

Ivan Kelsall
Aug-14-2016, 4:01am
Hi David - I contacted ''Leather Cord USA'' several years ago,the leather cord was cheap enough,but their postal rate to the UK was ridiculous. However,their range of suitable cords for braided straps is the best i've seen.
I totally agree with your use of leather on your armrest as well. 'Cork' can be a bit tacky at times & 'might' tend to damage the finish,
Ivan;)

Pasha Alden
Aug-14-2016, 4:29am
An interesting discussion and a great deal to consider. I am considering using "blesbok hide" for my mandola, though my concern is having the strap secured. I've seen folks use the pickup to secure the strap by and then around the headstock, just before the first fret. I somehow found it problematic on my Crafter ovation style mandolin.

Though we are discussing materials here, may I do a little hijack and ask what is recommended in terms of position of the strap and of course one does not wish to hurt the beautiful wood.
As explanation: blesbok is a kind of antelope that roams in South Africa. A beautiful range of browns and creams in the coat. In terms of colour of my instrument, chocolate brown to sunburst, I would try and keep the colour very natural and simple for the strap.

DHopkins
Aug-14-2016, 9:12am
Hi David - I contacted ''Leather Cord USA'' several years ago,the leather cord was cheap enough,but their postal rate to the UK was ridiculous. However,their range of suitable cords for braided straps is the best i've seen.

Ivan;)

Oh yeah. I forgot about the "NW England" over there on the left side.

Pasha Alden
Aug-14-2016, 10:38am
From SA it will be much worse, so I just have to make my own strap up somehow.

Mandophyte
Aug-14-2016, 3:07pm
Charity shops are a good source of leather belts.