PDA

View Full Version : Turkey Creek mandolins-any current or past owners here?

darylcrisp
Aug-09-2016, 2:18pm
I like the tone I've heard from the few I've found(two). This one, over the phone, has the same clear articulate quality.

The binding is not the best job, the shop acknowledged that. Either some shrinkage or chatter along the binding route, or bad work.

2014 model, shop would not consider contacting builder to see if the price would drop-plus there is a 3% fee if the mandolin is returned and a CC was used. 48 hour window inspection period.

Too many ? possibilities for me to buy and ship-and price too much for me to consider.

I do like the tone I've heard and I like how this looks. Was wondering if any owners would care to respond with their experiences.

http://www.sylvanmusic.com/store/p783/Turkey_Creek_F-5.html

mouse over the picture to get a zoom effect. note binding around headstock and scroll and backside body.

guitarua
Aug-10-2016, 11:00pm
I would say this is pretty par for the course on Turkey Creek mandos. I have seen several (live in CO) and the fit and finish are not up to the level of many builders. That being said, many do sound great!

DataNick
Aug-11-2016, 6:18pm
Rhonda Vincent plays a Turkey Creek...YMMV

George R. Lane
Aug-11-2016, 6:36pm
Nick,
I think Rhonda plays a Smith Creek.

Mandoplumb
Aug-11-2016, 7:37pm
Who looks at the mandolin when Rhonda is playing?

Marcus CA
Aug-11-2016, 10:18pm
I think that that mandolin has been in the shop for quite a while. If so, by this point, you should be able to at least ask for a "floor model" price, if you're interested.

darylcrisp
Aug-11-2016, 10:32pm
I think that that mandolin has been in the shop for quite a while. If so, by this point, you should be able to at least ask for a "floor model" price, if you're interested.

I seem to think its been there for a while myself Marcus. I've purchased a Kanilea Uke and Taylor guitar a couple years ago from Sylvan, and that's before I was into mandolins, I think it was there when I first got started.

I did request the man I was talking with at Sylvan, to see if the builder might come down on the price. He brushed me off quickly and said the builder would not move down any on the price.

I thanked him and moved on.

d

almeriastrings
Aug-12-2016, 12:41am
mouse over the picture to get a zoom effect. note binding around headstock and scroll and backside body.

I see what you mean...

Definitely SMITH Creek Rhonda plays. Along with a Gibson. She has played quite a few different mandolins (haven't we all?) including Weber, Jim Triggs and a couple I can't think of right now...

Don Grieser
Aug-13-2016, 6:07pm
Jonny Miller plays a Turkey Creek A5. Sounds good to me.

orPtoo_EB7M

ce-slwCEPM

mandowilli
Sep-05-2016, 6:07pm
Played one this past weekend at Four Corners Festival and it sounded great.

Atlanta Mando Mike
Sep-08-2016, 5:16am
I have a friend who has one. Fit and finish quality is on the low side but both tone and playability were very good for the price point. I left thinking they are a great option for a lower relative priced f style mandolin.