PDA

View Full Version : "No internal labels"

Paul Hird
Aug-09-2016, 12:46pm
Just curious. I just opened the classifieds and saw the first ad listed for a Gibson F. Reading the post it says no internal labels. It sounds unusual for Gibson not to have labels. Was there an era that labels were not used? I Just hadn't heard of that. My curiosity is piqued.

MikeEdgerton
Aug-09-2016, 1:34pm
There was a time they shipped the F5G with one label, that was the serial number label. It looks like an F5G but I've never seen one without a label. The labels are sticky backed, I don't know how one would fall out. There has to be a story here. That doesn't look fake. I wonder if anyone here knows anything about that one.

EdHanrahan
Aug-09-2016, 1:41pm
Maybe there was a replacement or repair. Maybe the water, or even just humidity, was caught before there was wood damaged but not before there was paper damage. Maybe the insects liked the glue more than they liked the wood - my wife can attest to that one. Maybe someone didn't like the prior owner's name written there. Or maybe it was it the 7-year-old's crayon markings. The label of my own Kamaka ukulele proudly proclaims, in heavy black marker, that it belongs to Jeff P., who most likely lives, or is buried, in Hawaii where I bought it used.

Lots of folks, for lots of reasons, don't know the value of labels.

darylcrisp
Aug-09-2016, 2:07pm
I called FG this morn on that specific Gibson, I like the sound and look of it and inquired on a few things.

Ben told me the original owner is a local who has traded with them off and on for many years, that person had the original receipt of purchase(I think i got that part correct), and had no explanation for the missing label. The person is more a guitar player and had not noticed the labels missing. He also said there is no appearance of prev glue where the label would have been, the maple looks very clean with no evidence of a prev label. He also said they have had a few F9 models come thru sans label, but never this model.

Ben said it played extremely well and was in fine condition.

1 1/8"
flat fretboard
they do not take paypal
48 hour return period

I am mandolinless at the moment, but have my daughters Weber(which i like a lot). So this looked like a good deal.
Price wise they would not budge-i do not have a good knowledge of Gibson prices, assuming its as nice as it appears and plays likewise, is that a good price?

I assume the missing labels could impact a future sale?

thank you
d

MikeEdgerton
Aug-09-2016, 2:24pm
The current Gibson labels would probably cause damage to the wood if it was pulled off, unless the label was defective to begin with. I'm wondering if they just forgot to put a label in it. These aren't put in with a glue any bug would ever want to eat. There are used F5G's regularly for sale in the three grand range. $3250.00 seems OK to me. Does anyone have any idea when this one was built?

pheffernan
Aug-09-2016, 2:26pm
Does anyone have any idea when this one was built?

MikeEdgerton
Aug-09-2016, 2:28pm
Somebody may want to talk to Dave Harvey about it. Maybe they weren't putting labels in at that time. If it has a serial number on the receipt it might help resolve the issue. My only problem buying this would be that if you decided to sell it a few years down the road you're going to be having this same conversation.

I just looked it up, the flood in Nashville was in 2010. This might have been built early in the re-start process.

FLATROCK HILL
Aug-09-2016, 6:07pm
Judging by the video attached to the ad, that is a damn fine sounding mandolin.

Al Trujillo
Aug-10-2016, 11:05am
Judging by the video attached to the ad, that is a damn fine sounding mandolin.

I concur!! Sounds great.