PDA

View Full Version : Travelite F-style case ok for A-style mando?

Jesse Appelman
Aug-02-2016, 4:07pm
It seems like Travelite doesn't make an A-style case, so I'm wondering if anyone has experience using an F-style Travelite for an A-style mando? Would the mando be snug & well protected, or is there too much empty space around it where the scroll & point would be?

George R. Lane
Aug-02-2016, 4:12pm
Jesse,
I wouldn't worry too much. I think an A model should fit nice and snug.

Michael Neverisky
Aug-02-2016, 5:04pm
Works like a charm for me!

MikeEdgerton
Aug-02-2016, 6:11pm
It seems like Travelite doesn't make an A-style case, so I'm wondering if anyone has experience using an F-style Travelite for an A-style mando? Would the mando be snug & well protected, or is there too much empty space around it where the scroll & point would be?

The only problem I see is that there is a rule, Rule 27.5 that strictly prohibits carrying an A model in an F model case. Beyond that it will fit fine.

Bill McCall
Aug-02-2016, 6:41pm
I think that unwritten rule was superceded by decision 1-3/80 in the official Bluegrass Police archives.

Clement Barrera-Ng
Aug-03-2016, 1:27am
Jesse - the Travelite is my favorite case, and some of the recent A5 I have (Pava, Northfield Model M, Flatiron A5, Kentucky KM900) all fit in the case nicely and snuggly with little to no wiggle room. That also means that trying to keep the tone guard on, if you have one, will require some massaging of the interior of the case.

Having said that, I haven't tried any of the old Gibson A, and I do suspect that with their slightly wider bodies, they may not fit.

Ivan Kelsall
Aug-03-2016, 2:17am
I have my Ellis "A" style in a Travelite case & it fits perfectly - in actual fact,every mandolin i've put into the Travelite fitted perfectly !. Unfortunately,Travelites are not available in the UK or all 3 of my mandolins would be in one.
The body of an "A" style fills the area where the body of an "F" style sits,the point area is simply left empty. In the headstock area,you've got plenty of room around it - in a Travelite case,even an "F" style mandolin has far more space around it than most cases allow = less chance of headstock trauma if dropped or banged. Only the rectangular style cases (TKL / Hiscox) have as much headstock clearance,
Ivan

Mike Arakelian
Aug-03-2016, 7:22am
Absolutely, my A-5 fits like a glove in my Travelite case. This is a great case for the money IMO.