PDA

View Full Version : 2015 Northfield NF-F5S Mandolin From Gryphon Stringed Instruments

Robert Smyth
Aug-01-2016, 9:17pm
I recently went down to Gryphon Stringed Instrument in Palo Alto, California, to check out their mandolin selection and was able to check out the Northfields as I've been hearing great things about them from all you folks on Mandolin Cafe. I grabbed the first one I saw and holy crap, the projection and bark was phenomenal. I then proceeded to try all of their mandolins, including the F-4 styles and the two mandolas they had there as well. They had the new Northfield Big Mon, a new Northfield NF-F5S, and a number of Collings and one Weber. The one I kept coming back to was the used 2015 that I first picked up. It was only used because the original owner traded up for a Northfield Big Mon but it might as well be new as there are zero scratches or blemishes. To my ears, the 2015 Northfield sounded the best by far. It was listed at $2395, and it sounded better than the $4995 Collings that they had and the $4k something new Northfield Big Mon.

The fit and finish is flawless with single-ply binding on the top with no binding on the back.

I had no intention of buying a mandolin that day but damn if I couldn't walk away from it so I threw my credit card on the counter and bought it!

I get home to A/B it with my 1994 Gibson F-5L and it is just an amazing value for $2395. The tonal differences are probably due to my 22 year old sitka spruce top as compared to the one year old Adirondack top on the Northfield. The Gibson sounds more open and fuller whereas the Northfield sounds like it is tighter, like it's newer. The Gibson has a glossy finish whereas the Northfield has a nice satin finish. I'll be curious as to how much more the Northfield will open up but jeez, I'm super stoked on my new acquisition. And the neck...just amazing. Somehow it felt easier to play than my Gibson so I duplicated the action measurements on my Gibson, which I had previously set the action quite high. The lower action made the Gibson play easier...now it needs new strings!

Thumbs up on the Northfields...check them out at your own peril...just make sure your mandolin at home won't get jealous when you come home with one!

LindyHopper
Aug-01-2016, 9:25pm
I was just at Gryphon last week and was very impressed with that very mandolin! Congrats on picking it up

CWRoyds
Aug-01-2016, 11:38pm
Dude... You are a lucky lucky man.
That mandolin was mine for about two days.
I fell in love with it, but in the end the nut width was just too narrow for my big hands.
My fingers were claustrophobic, and would kind trip on each other when I played fast fiddle tunes.
I was absolutely devastated that I had to send it back.
I almost cried, because it was absolutely the best mandolin I have ever played. (At least that I could afford).
At $2300 it is a freaking unbelievable steal.

I played all the mandolins there and THAT one was just the best one.
It even beat the awesome Collings they had.
Well, there was a Collings A-style that was a little superior, but it was far more expensive.
I remember playing chop chords on it, and my friend and I got all wide eyed and smiled.
It just has smooth rich power to spare.
That Northfield has a tight, dry, LOUD tone that just killed me.
I could not believe there was that good a mandolin for that price.

I am a bit sad now because my car died, and $3000 later I have no mandolin money anymore.
I am going to save up for an F5 Master model.
I am certain that Northfield is where I am staying when I go looking, as it is HUGE mando goodness for reasonable prices.
It will be a good long while, so I had better just put my head down and play my JB F5 special, which I love.
As much as I love it, my JB is just not the same level as that Northfield.
I will always regret not being able to keep that Northfield.
It was truly a heartbreaking decision, but I just couldn't keep it, as it was not the right neck for my hands.

Just for interests sake, you can read about my adventure with this mandolin on my thread about visiting Schoenberg and Gryphon.
http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/showthread.php?125173-Visit-to-Schoenberg-Guitars-Tiburon-Ca

djweiss
Aug-02-2016, 12:12am
Robert, bring it with you next time you're in town....Would love to check it out!

Robert Smyth
Aug-02-2016, 1:03am
Dude... You are a lucky lucky man.
That mandolin was mine for about two days.
I fell in love with it, but in the end the nut width was just too narrow for my big hands.
My fingers were claustrophobic, and would kind trip on each other when I played fast fiddle tunes.
I was absolutely devastated that I had to send it back.
I almost cried, because it was absolutely the best mandolin I have ever played. (At least that I could afford).
At $2300 it is a freaking unbelievable steal.

I played all the mandolins there and THAT one was just the best one.
It even beat the awesome Collings they had.
Well, there was a Collings A-style that was a little superior, but it was far more expensive.
I remember playing chop chords on it, and my friend and I got all wide eyed and smiled.
It just has smooth rich power to spare.
That Northfield has a tight, dry, LOUD tone that just killed me.
I could not believe there was that good a mandolin for that price.

I am a bit sad now because my car died, and $3000 later I have no mandolin money anymore.
I am going to save up for an F5 Master model.
I am certain that Northfield is where I am staying when I go looking, as it is HUGE mando goodness for reasonable prices.
It will be a good long while, so I had better just put my head down and play my JB F5 special, which I love.
As much as I love it, my JB is just not the same level as that Northfield.
I will always regret not being able to keep that Northfield.
It was truly a heartbreaking decision, but I just couldn't keep it, as it was not the right neck for my hands.

Just for interests sake, you can read about my adventure with this mandolin on my thread about visiting Schoenberg and Gryphon.
http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/showthread.php?125173-Visit-to-Schoenberg-Guitars-Tiburon-Ca

I think I picked up on your mojo, CW. I wanted to try the Wegen TF-140 pick that folks talk about so I got one from the counter and walked into that room and that was the one I spotted first and grabbed. Like I said, that first chop chord did it for me. I'm fine with the nut width and find the neck and action just so comfortable. Their mandolin room does have great acoustics so that probably helped too, but I went through the whole mindgame of knowing I found something extra-special and thinking if I walk out, someone else is gonna grab it and I'd regret not getting it...I kinda went a little Shmeagol-like with my Precious.

I feel a little bad for my Gibson but Seabiscuit will always be my first love. So sorry for your subsequent fund depletion. I do think you ought to do the similar thing of trying the F-5 Master with as many other mandolins as possible because more expensive doesn't necessarily mean better.

Thanks for your testament!

Robert Smyth
Aug-02-2016, 1:06am
Will do, Darren!

CWRoyds
Aug-02-2016, 2:32am
LOL I think we operate on the same plain of destiny. :)
I went in and saw the Wegen picks, and immediately bought a pack to try, as I hear about them often here.
I went into that mando room and zeroed in on the Northfield, as I have been dying to play one.
I sat down, hit an A chop chord, and it was over.
Yes, it was partly that room, because it is a great sounding room and that little bit of reverb you get off of the other instruments makes everything sing, but that mandolin just sounded so clear, even, powerful, and juicy. Upon playing that chop chord my mind when straight to "What can I sell. I need to buy this before someone comes in and gets it."
I even joked to my partner that I think this mandolin is "My Precious". LOL
It drew me in but good
The wood is simple but beautiful, and I love the unbound back, where it is all just wood.
I also loved how even the tone is from the lower frets all the way up.
A chop chord on the first few frets had the same general timber, volume, and tone as the ones way up the neck.

I don't know what it is about that particular mandolin, but I loved absolutely everything about it... except.. the nut. I didn't notice the nut width at the store, mainly because I just kept playing chop chords and delighting in that dry woofy chop. It wasn't until I had it here in LA and I sat around playing fiddle tunes, that I noticed the close string courses. I felt clumsy, my fingers tripped over each other in faster fiddle tunes, and I would fumble on the cool parts of the tunes.
I switched back and forth with my JBovier. The JB was much easier for me to play, as I was able to whip through the parts I fumbled on the Northfield. I am absolutely not saying the Northfield has a neck that is hard to play in general, in fact it was a really nice neck. It was just too close together for me. I need the "Wide Nut" version.

Yes, you are absolutely correct that more expensive doesn't necessarily mean better.
That was shown to me the day I went to Gryphon and played a room full of nice expensive mandolins, and left obsessively thinking about that Northfield, which was the cheapest mandolin of the bunch. It was only $2,400!!! For THAT mandolin... crazy.
I also have to give Gryphon HUGE props for holding it for me for several days longer than they had to while I got the check through the system. I really feel bad that I had to return it to them. They had been so incredibly kind and helpful in getting it to me. They could really tell how much I wanted this mandolin. I think they were genuinely thrilled for me. LOL.

The reason I decided on a Master Model was just that when I was switching between my JB and the Northfield, I started to realize I kinda preferred a bound neck. Maybe it is just familiar because my first and favorite electric guitar is a '78 Les Paul Custom which has a nice bound neck and fat frets. The Standard Master model has a nice bound neck.
My dream Northfield that I can afford is a standard Master Model, wide nut, modern setup, englemann top, with a james tailpiece. I think that would be all I would need. It doesn't need fancy inlay or anything. If you listen to the video of Emory Lester playing three different Northfields, two big mon and one standard, I think I like the tone and the whole vibe of the Standard over the Big Mons. The first big mon sounds great, but that Standard shoots the sound out a little more and spanks you. I think the normal body size has the type of tone I am going for more than the extra bassy Big Mon.

Trying out mandolins to choose the one that is right for me is hard, as there are not many great mandolins in LA. Most of the stores have a selection of Kentuckys & Eastman, with maybe Weber Galatin, and a Collings or two at the top end. There is usually one Gibson Fern, or similar, sitting behind glass.
Going to Schoenberg and Gryphon was my first chance to play a wide selection of really nice mandolins from different makers side by side. It was an education. I guess I just need to wait until I visit the Bay Area again, or make a trip out to an event where all the makers have booths. I just need to have the money ready, so that when my actual "Precious" comes along I can snag it.

Have a great time with that mandolin.
I still think about it every once in a while.
It is like those moments when Bilbo goes dark while looking at the ring...
But then slap myself to remind me that it was really close to being my prefect mandolin....but it wasn't.
I just can only afford to have one really great mandolin, and it has to be exactly right.
I don't want to be reminded of something I don't like about it every time I play.
I have other instruments that are like that, and I don't often play them.
I was so freaking close. :)