PDA

View Full Version : Circa 1935 A-00 flat back Gibson

StevenWayne
Jul-26-2016, 10:25am
148292148293I found it for a price I thought I could live with, $400. It has had some repairs and is playable, but the string height needs to come down to be more comfortable. I think the only option there is to sand some off the bottom of the non-adjustable bridge.

I think it actually sounded better when I first tried it, with the old strings. First thing I did was put on a new set of phosphor bronze D'Addario. Now I need to lower the action so I can play the heck out of it.

The good: It has a truss rod. The neck is very straight. Frets OK for now. The carved top is in good shape, save for some light overspray on part of it, which is thin and will probably rub off.

The bad: The back was off the instrument at one time for repairs, and the back came apart at the center seam. The repair on that wasn't that great. I do have the pickguard and bracket but I removed it. The celluloid or whatever it is was starting to deteriorate, but the top's finish was only slightly damaged in a small spot, no biggie. The tuning machines are not good and they seem to be mismatched or put together from parts. Really need another set of some kind. Recommendations?

Thank you! One thing, I had a The Loar LM-300 in this case and the case was too large for it. The Loar had lots of room to slide around. The Gibson fills up the case. I had no idea the the Loars were smaller.

Capt. E
Jul-26-2016, 11:10am
I owned one of these (1936) for a while and found it to be a nice instrument. Mine had been beat up cosmetically with a couple of small cracks that needed repair, but set up nicely. Overall I think they are undervalued. Enjoy

MikeEdgerton
Jul-26-2016, 12:14pm
The tuning machines are not good and they seem to be mismatched or put together from parts. Really need another set of some kind. Recommendations?

Most modern worm over A style tuners will fit. If it was me I'd look at the Stewmac Golden Age tuners (http://www.stewmac.com/Hardware_and_Parts/Tuning_Machines/Mandolin_Tuning_Machines/Golden_Age_A-style_Mandolin_Tuners.html). You need to verify the distance between the posts to make sure whatever you buy will fit. You got it for a decent price.

Jeff Mando
Jul-26-2016, 12:58pm
I think it actually sounded better when I first tried it, with the old strings.

This is something I have noticed with vintage instruments, also. Not sure why, unless the neck and set up have some "memory" associated with the old strings? Disappointing to think new strings can be a bad thing......

F-2 Dave
Jul-26-2016, 1:11pm
Yep, $400 was a good price. Cool little mandolin.

StevenWayne
Jul-26-2016, 7:48pm
Thanks all for the replies, and I will check into those Golden Age tuners. BTW, the strings are starting to sound a little better. Probably need a little break in.

StevenWayne
Jul-26-2016, 9:50pm
Lowered the strings and the action is now what I'd call medium. Certainly more easy to fret. I'm getting some nice ring out of it now!

CWRoyds
Jul-28-2016, 7:25pm
The A-00 is a cool little mandolin.
I have a 40s one that unfortunately was smashed and badly repaired at some point.
Still a cool little mando for noodling on when on the couch watching TV.
The neck on mine is so slim and easy to play.

pfox14
Jul-29-2016, 5:28pm
Not my call but I would swap out the bridge for an adjustable and loose that strap button. Good buy at $400 IMHO

MikeEdgerton
Jul-29-2016, 5:50pm
I don't know if that neck angle will allow an adjustable bridge.

Capt. E
Jul-30-2016, 11:56pm
The one I owned came with a rosewood adjustable bridge

StevenWayne
Jul-31-2016, 7:50am
The one I owned came with a rosewood adjustable bridge It could have been a later 30's or early 40's one? I think those were redesigned a bit. This one does have a somewhat shallow neck angle. I wish I still had my 1921 Gibson A model. I foolishly sold that many years ago when I liquidated several instruments. But I do like the A-00.

Capt. E
Aug-14-2016, 7:47pm
Yeah, I'll never sell my 1920 A-2. A good A-00 is not a bad substitute.