PDA

View Full Version : Sliding of my mandocello on my left thigh

morix
Jul-22-2016, 11:19am
I recently bought a mandocello (with strings C G D A).
The width of the case is important: 41 cm.
My left foot rests on a support. Despite this, the instrument tends to slide towards the knee.
Do you have a tip to avoid this?

gtani7
Jul-22-2016, 12:40pm
you might look at classical guitar supports: cushions, angled brackets with suction cups (which I would never want to put on a good instrument, but i guess some people do) and others

e.g. http://www.thisisclassicalguitar.com/ergonomic-guitar-rests-support-ergoplay/

JeffD
Jul-22-2016, 2:12pm
If you are talking about traction I would put some of this on your lap, between the instrument and your thigh. It comes in different colors.

At first I used it for my bowlbacks, but now I use it for all mandolins when I play sitting own and strapless.

morix
Jul-22-2016, 2:14pm
Thank you gtani7 but all this seems complicated to me :disbelief:

morix
Jul-22-2016, 2:18pm
If you are talking about traction I would put some of this on your lap, between the instrument and your thigh. It comes in different colors.

At first I used it for my bowlbacks, but now I use it for all mandolins when I play sitting own and strapless.

Thank you JeffD!
Can you specify what material is it?

Barry Wilson
Jul-22-2016, 2:20pm
It's shelf liner. I use that for spraying fake carbon fibre

JeffD
Jul-22-2016, 2:22pm
Its shelf liner stuff, available anywhere, any home stuff store. Or on line. Used to keep dishes from slipping etc. Sometimes it is sold in squares, sometimes in a rolled up sheets. Comes in black, and just about every other color. I even think camo is available.

I also use it to wrap wine and whisky bottles for transport to festivals. ;)

John Kelly
Jul-23-2016, 10:16am
Have you tried a strap?

Barry Wilson
Jul-24-2016, 2:12am
I buy it at the dollar store... I used to airbrush rc cars and such. fog some window tint inside, then lay the liner down and spray silver for the squares and back with black. looks dang close to carbon fibre