PDA

View Full Version : Brian Dean Octave Mandolin, #24

labraid
May-20-2005, 10:18am
Hey all,
Just thought I'd show you the new baby. An octave mandolin, 21.5" scale, Engelmann "slightly-carved" top, walnut body, "flat" back. The Celtic/fern side port let's just enough sound exit for the player's ear, without overwhelming or needing some way to close it. There are a few thin internal supports inside the port to reinforce the more delicate areas of the carving. Finish is hand applied French polish body and headstock, oil varnish neck. TKL formed case to boot..... She's in Montana now.

labraid
May-20-2005, 10:20am
another

labraid
May-20-2005, 10:21am
another

labraid
May-20-2005, 10:22am
last one for now.

amowry
May-20-2005, 10:22am
Looks great! Is that a stock TKL case?

labraid
May-20-2005, 10:27am
I believe it is the professional series 5-string-banjo-without-resonator case.. I had to modify it for good fit, mainly a layer of padding had to be removed from the back, and the storage box was shortened, the higher neck support was lowered down to cradle the neck at the right spot.

Mike Buesseler
May-20-2005, 10:51am
You have no idea how cool it is to see your own (MY) mandolin appear here!! #

I'm playing 'er right now, looking at pictures on the Cafe! Cool. # This thing is much more beautiful in person than even these great pictures show.
The side port is a work of art--forget the sound. #I do get a bit more direct sound (which is great, since I mostly play home alone), but is sure is nice to look down at that Celtic knot design.

Custom ebony buttons, french polish finish, hand made bridge, PERFECTLY fit case. # WAY worth the money, believe me. #Brian and I had a great time designing this baby (well, I had a great time watching--I have pictures of the whole process).

OOOO LA LA, me happy like crazy!!! #http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif

stevem
May-20-2005, 11:38am
That side port does look very sweet. #My favorite picture is of the back, where the neck meets the body. #The lines and curves and coloring and binding and grain look absolutely perfect together.

berkeleymando
May-20-2005, 12:02pm
Brian! What an excellent instrument, it must really roar ... and that side port is truly unique and beautiful. A tip of my hat to you, Old Tymer.:)

Mike Buesseler
May-20-2005, 5:55pm
Stevem--

I love that pic, too. I've had Brazilian rosewood instruments that didn't look nearly as good as this walnut! I wonder why we don't see more walnut used on instruments? I'm sure glad I made this choice. Oh, for what it's worth, I told Brian I was on a tight budget--no fancy woods! This is what he calls PLAIN!!! http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

otterly2k
May-20-2005, 6:43pm
Simply stunning in every way. Mike and/or Brian... you should post these in the CBOM area too...
KE