PDA

View Full Version : Sam Bush: "Storyman"

red7flag
Jul-15-2016, 10:07am
I was really excited to hear Sam was releasing a new CD "Storyman" I had a trip to Nashville and I loaded my iPod and was ready. After a few tunes I was disappointed. Not that the music was not good and not that it did not reflect Sam Bush, it was just not what I expected. I guess I was hoping for a Cd like "Circles Around Me" that just blew me away. It just spoke to me, personally. Much of this CD hearkens back to the New Grass Revival days. This is probably a great thing for most, but not as much for me. The Scott Vestal playing and role in the music is very Bela like. Scott and Sam really cook together. The musicianship and arrangements are stellar. Just not what I was hoping for. I would bet that the majority of Sam fans will be really excited by this CD and really I can see why. Just not me.

fentonjames
Jul-15-2016, 5:03pm
:disbelief:

sorry to hear you do don't like it red7flag. i've been a sam fan as long as i can remember and i think it's among his best work ever.

AlanN
Jul-15-2016, 5:16pm
I was really excited to hear Sam was releasing a new CD "Storyman" I had a trip to Nashville and I loaded my iPod and was ready. After a few tunes I was disappointed. Not that the music was not good and not that it did not reflect Sam Bush, it was just not what I expected. I guess I was hoping for a Cd like "Circles Around Me" that just blew me away. It just spoke to me, personally. Much of this CD hearkens back to the New Grass Revival days. This is probably a great thing for most, but not as much for me. The Scott Vestal playing and role in the music is very Bela like. Scott and Sam really cook together. The musicianship and arrangements are stellar. Just not what I was hoping for. I would bet that the majority of Sam fans will be really excited by this CD and really I can see why. Just not me.

A picker friend said basically the same thing. I haven't heard it. My fave Sam solo thing is, and has been, Late As Usual, hands down.

lenf12
Jul-15-2016, 6:40pm
I haven't heard it yet either and "Late As Usual" is my favorite SB album too, Whoda thunk? :grin:

Len B.
Clearwater, FL

Fretbear
Jul-15-2016, 7:04pm
Each to his own;
Fact is the unbridled raw musicality of this project is simply staggering.
A particular favourite of mine is "Transcendental Meditation Blues"; besides being a great song lyrically and musically, the way Scott and Stephen get after it on their leads lets you know why they get to work with Sam. "Handmics Killed Country Music" (with Emmylou Harris) is a song that has been waiting a long time to get written and sung (by people holding instruments!!)
"Where's My Love"; "If you love them Blues, play em as you please."

http://www.thebluegrasssituation.com/read/stream-sam-bush-storyman

CES
Jul-15-2016, 7:40pm
It's getting heavy rotation for me. Sorry you didn't like it :(

MediumMando5722
Jul-15-2016, 9:53pm
"Handmics Killed Country Music" makes me think of Hank 3, albeit a little more polite.

I'm a new SB fan, and I like the album a lot.

Nate Lee
Jul-16-2016, 2:04pm
I'm really stoked on the new album. I also like all of the previous ones a lot. The first CD I ever owned was Sam Bush's "Howlin' At The Moon" and I've been a Sam fan ever since.

John Duncan
Jul-16-2016, 2:53pm
red7flag, you put my feelings into perfect words. Love Sam Bush though. I hope his next record isn't 7 years in the making.

Bill Kammerzell
Jul-17-2016, 3:55pm

I'm a little behind. Just ordered Circles Around Me. There's just so much good stuff out there by so many good artists. Hard to keep up.

red7flag
Jul-19-2016, 5:14pm
After reading some of the comments on this thread, I went back and gave "Storyman" a new listen with a bit more open minded approach. While still not my favorite Sam CD, I came a long way toward enjoying this CD. At first I thought that he was just recreating the New Grass Revival sound. While some of the interplay between Vestal and Bush is very reminiscent of NGR, this CD attempts way more. There are some very personal messages in many of the tunes. This CD is now getting some heavy air time in my vehicle. Thanks for opening my mind, guys.

CarlM
Jul-19-2016, 8:35pm
Count me as a vote in favor. Got my copy late Saturday night/early Sunday morning autographed and straight from the hands of Sam. It is getting a lot of play. It will continue to also.

He became one of my favorite musicians about five years ago when I got there early to set up my chair at an outdoor festival and he and the band were doing soundcheck. They saw us listening and played about a 15 or 20 minute mini set for nine people just as hard as for 75000 at Merlefest.