PDA

View Full Version : Looking for information on a Bowlback Mandolin

RSmith
Jul-11-2016, 10:56pm
I inherited a bowlback mandolin from my grandmother who lived in Chicago during most of the 20th century. It looks like it has mother-of-pearl ornamentation on the headstock, neck, and around the sound hole. I counted 31 ribs on the bowl (33 if you count the wide ribs on each side), but haven’t been able to find any identification information on it, either inside the body or anywhere else. The case is pretty fragile and I think it’s lined with red felt and has a string package in it.

Could someone provide some information about it? I’m most interested in who may have made it, and some idea of value.

allenhopkins
Jul-12-2016, 11:25am
Huge production of bowl-back mandolins in Chicago, early 20th century. I did a bit of Googling and didn't find that exact headstock profile; the pickguard and "shell" tailpiece seem pretty generic to me.

Hope one of the real bowl-back mavens will have a better take on it. In the meantime, do some of your own Googling and look at some of the major Chicago brands: Washburn, American Conservatory, Regal are major mandolin nameplates. Check the "images" and see if you find one with a headstock shaped similarly, and with the inset tuners and distinctive back cover plates.

You may never get a definitive ID, but you may find something close enough to suggest the manufacturer. As to "some idea of value," you have a decent instrument in decent shape, but Chicago-made bowl-backs are pretty common, and don't -- as a rule -- bring more than a couple hundred dollars on the current market.

RSmith
Jul-12-2016, 5:52pm
Thanks Allen. The closest instrument I could find was an 1893 Washburn at https://reverb.com/item/2513732-washburn-bowlback-mandolin-1893-natural?_aid=pla&pla=1&gclid=CNLD0Z_97s0CFQYIaQodqgsDFg However, the back coverplates and tailpiece are different.

I'm guessing that my grandmother's instrument is not that old. Do you think a date range of 1910-1925 is reasonable?

LadysSolo
Jul-12-2016, 6:47pm
I purchased several bowlbacks in good condition last fall, for approx. $200 each. If yours is in good condition, probably similar value. Learn to play and join the group!

allenhopkins
Jul-12-2016, 11:28pm
OK, here (http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Martin-Bowlback-Mandolin-Tuners-Pegs-Set-for-Your-Project-/231621405532) are some identical tuners offered on eBay as "vintage Martin mandolin tuners." Another listing, (http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Martin-Vega-Mandolin-Tuners-Pegs-Set-for-Project-Repair-/232009578110?hash=item3604d9367e) same seller, this time "vintage Martin Vega mandolin tuners."

I do find several examples of similar tuners used on Martin mandolins. However, a Martin mandolin should be marked and have a serial number. Looking at the pics in Longworth's Martin Guitars: A History, I see none with that headstock or pickguard shape. I'm still guessing Chicago make, and I think you're probably correct, or nearly so, about its vintage.

RSmith
Jul-13-2016, 12:33am
Good find Allen! I noticed that the number and position of the screws/screw holes are slightly different from what I have, but otherwise the design looks very similar.

brunello97
Jul-13-2016, 2:05pm
I do find several examples of similar tuners used on Martin mandolins. However, a Martin mandolin should be marked and have a serial number. Looking at the pics in Longworth's Martin Guitars: A History, I see none with that headstock or pickguard shape. I'm still guessing Chicago make, and I think you're probably correct, or nearly so, about its vintage.

Just to be sure, let's be absolutely certain, we can certainly, absolutely be sure that this is not a Martin mandolin.

Absolutely, certainly, definitely not a Martin. Not a "possible Martin" or "possibly a Martin" etc. etc. Not a Martin.

Otherwise looks like a fairly nice bowl. I would lean to the earlier side of the bowlback era for this: '00-'10 seems reasonable to me.

Mick