PDA

View Full Version : Which upgrade for Eastman MD-315?

MediumMando5722
Jul-05-2016, 9:06am
I have a couple bucks burning a hole in my pocket, and am considering one of the following for my MD315:

New tuners
Cumberland Acoustic bridge
Travelite case
Armrest

Budget is $100 or less. It stays in tune well, but the tuners are very inconsistent. The bridge seems very well fit, but I've seen lots of people with Eastmans report good results with the CA. I love the look of an armrest, and think I'd like the feel. It currently lives in an OK gig bag, so I'd obviously like something a little more robust.

Any recommendations for which to blow my money on?

Ron McMillan
Jul-05-2016, 9:26am
New tuners for under $100 are not likely to be much different from the ones on there at the moment.

A Cumberland Acoustic bridge is an acknowledged step up from most factory bridges, but you'll have to make sure it is fitted perfectly - which might run you over your budget. Be careful to get one that corresponds to your instrument, i.e. radiused or not, and correctly slotted.

Travelite cases are very popular. I have one, and like it a lot. But do you travel with your instrument, and if you already have a case, would the Travelite make a big difference? Probably not.

I have armrests on two mandolins, and am very happy with them.

If you can fit a CA bridge yourself, then I'd go for the bridge plus the armrest, and you might still come in under budget.

But those are very subjective choices :)

Franc Homier Lieu
Jul-05-2016, 9:45am
A couple years ago I put a McLung armrest on my mandolin. My immediate reaction was "oh my god where has this thing been all my (mandolin playing) life!" For me it was not only comfortable, but it automatically improved my arm position. Go for the armrest!

Robert Mitchell
Jul-05-2016, 9:52am
YEP
,,DITTO THAT! A GREAT UPGRADE! and mcclungs are the best imho!

Jstring
Jul-05-2016, 9:58am
I wouldn't do any of those "upgrades", since none of them will really improve your mandolin...

Instead, keep the money you've saved.. And save more... Then sell your Eastman... And buy one of the Collings MTs or Kentucky 1000 or 1500s that you can find in the classifieds in the $1500-$1700 range... You'll be much happier in the long run, I think...

allenhopkins
Jul-05-2016, 11:03am
Of all the things you mentioned, I'd go for the Travelite.

Reasons: a gig bag, even a good one, is only partial protection for all the hazards your mandolin may encounter. The Travelite also gives you more ability to control humidity, temperature, and other environmental factors. Even if your Eastman never leaves your house, keeping it inside a good sturdy case is preferable to leaving it out on a stand, or just keeping it in a gig bag.

Finally, the Travelite's transferable to your next mandolin, if you follow others' advice and upgrade.

The other "upgrades" you're considering don't provide the same clear benefits, IMHO. Tuners, if well maintained and lubricated -- and if the nut and bridge are properly slotted -- generally do their job. A new bridge may or may not enhance the mandolin's sound, and I've not heard that Eastman "300" series mandolins are lacking in volume or projection, as compared to other similarly-priced instruments. The armrest is a matter of personal preference, and is basically a comfort (and to some extent, appearance) issue.

The other thing you might consider is a Tone-Gard (http://www.tone-gard.com), to hold the mandolin off your body. I don't use 'em, but those who do report good results.

MediumMando5722
Jul-05-2016, 11:22am
Oh man, I forgot to add Tone-Gard to the list.

As far as replacing the mandolin itself, not an option. My family surprised me with it recently, so it's a keeper. Besides, I play my dad's much higher end stuff regularly, and while his Doyle Lawson or custom Sparks F are nicer, they're not worth the considerable amount of dough it would cost me to upgrade.

I spent the 20+ years I've played guitar continually irked that whatever I owned wasn't the high end piece I lusted after. When I picked up the mando, I made a decision I was not going to do that this time around. Again, I know my Eastman is not a Loar, Dude, Gilchrest, etc... , but it's much nicer than what I figured I'd end up with. This is MY instrument, and I'm sticking with it :)

Br1ck
Jul-05-2016, 11:46am
I put a toneguard on my MD 505, and I really like it. You don't have to think about holding the mandolin away from your body. One less thing for a newbie to worry about.

Roger Moss
Jul-05-2016, 12:00pm
+1 on keeping the Eastman. A noteworthy upgrade would be extremely expensive. There is nothing wrong with what you have. I would get the case if it were me. Much better than just a gig bag even if you never take it out. Indispensable if you do.

darrylicshon
Jul-05-2016, 12:15pm
I would get a tone guard i have been thinking about getting one i have a few mandos that really sound nice if they are not touching my body , i play mostly with it not touching but i played a hieden with one on and liked the fell , but it makes your mandolin alot heavier

dwc
Jul-05-2016, 1:02pm
The thing about the tone guard that I have noticed is that it improves the volume/tone of some mandolins but not all. A tone guard improved the volume and tone of my June A5 and my June F5, but it doesn't really do much for my Ellis. You can hold your mandolin away from your body and play a little to see if getting the back of the mandolin away from your body makes an improvement. If it makes a noticeable difference, then that is the way I would go.

fatt-dad
Jul-05-2016, 1:03pm
CT55 and tone-gard.

f-d

mandroid
Jul-05-2016, 1:59pm
Budget is $100 or less.

tone-gard.

^^ this^^ It will be most of your C note..

... and a Nice dinner is a restaurant with your Wife. :whistling:
wil put you over the top..

$100 budget you have to pick your one item.

PlayOut enough to justify a Case, or just at Home?

John O'Brien
Jul-05-2016, 2:02pm
I too have the 315, very happy with it. The only upgrades I've done so far have been a cast tailpiece and Grover tuners. Next will be an armrest.

I already have the case, so that's probably where I'd start.

LillianBelle
Jul-05-2016, 2:24pm
Which case did your 315 come with? The 605 blem I bought came with a pretty good case (I think it is an oblong Bobelock or Bobelock knockoff - there was one in the Classifieds that other day that looked just like it) that it isn't worth replacing because the next step up would cost me half what the mandolin cost. The 604 I bought a few years back came with a semi-shaped case not quite as nice, but still good enough that a replacement is not worth the money it'd cost to upgrade it (it's fairly close to the Travelite already).

What I read from the people who sell Eastmans (Mandolin Store, Folkmusician, Gianna Violins) is that a good setup is the #1 best bet - how well set up is yours?

John O'Brien
Jul-05-2016, 2:35pm
Mine came with a Travelite from Mando Store. They did the set-up as well, was playable out of the case when I received it. After first string change, I had it checked out, all was well.

MediumMando5722
Jul-05-2016, 2:42pm
It came with a cheap Music Go Round gig bag. It's better than nothing, but that's about it. It travels enough that I really should've already bought a better case.

Hillsdale Leroy
Jul-05-2016, 2:43pm
+1 on the tailpiece.

Polecat
Jul-05-2016, 2:45pm
Do you generally play standing up or sitting? sitting down, it is easy to get used to holding the instrument so that the back vibrates freely, and a tone-gard is imho not the best use of your money. If you play standing up, I'd recommend the tone-gard, which I've found makes a huge difference to the comfort of playing whilst still producing a great sound. If sitting down, I'd go for the bridge and fit it yourself; it requires no special tools (sandpaper and masking tape...), can be done by anyone with a modicum of manual dexterity and patience, and, when you've finished, you will be both proud of your work and pleased with your mandolin, which will increase the pleasure you get out of playing the thing. A sense of achievement is something you cannot buy, whether you spend $100 or $100,000.

Steve Ostrander
Jul-05-2016, 3:24pm
Go for the TG. Of all the upgrades, it will probably have the most noticeable effect.

sblock
Jul-05-2016, 3:33pm
+1 for getting a Tone-Gard. This should improve both your volume and tone, unless you already happen to be one of those players who holds his mandolin well away from the body while playing (this is rare when playing upright, but not so unusual when playing seated).

Secondary priorities: a bridge (may improve tone on an Eastman, but probably only a bit) or armrest (may improve comfort or ergonomics; but no direct effect on the sound)

Tertiary priorities: don't replace your tuners unless they are giving you genuine trouble. Don't replace your case, I'd recommend, unless you're traveling somewhere and need the extra protection.

Hey, you might also consider:

Several different sets of strings to try out, as an experiment! Well worth the investment.

Or, get:

a playing stand
a nice leather strap
a better electronic tuner
an expensive pick

George R. Lane
Jul-05-2016, 4:01pm
Here is a tone gard for $50.00.

http://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/search

CES
Jul-05-2016, 4:02pm
Since you're playing out often, go with the better case first. The gig bag that comes with these doesn't offer much protection at all (I have a 315 as well). I think I'll be getting new tuners for it at some point. The ones on there are functional, but they don't hold tune as well as I'd like. I won't be going Waverly (I mean, I paid < 500 dollars for the whole mando ;), but probably Grover or some Stew Mac tuners. While the tail piece is light, it's functional...probably won't upgrade it unless I have a failure of some kind.

I know there are many who love Tone Guards, and I'll admit I've never tried one, but my Eastman is loud without one, so I don't feel like I need one at this point.

When I changed bridges (to an adjustable Stew Mac) on my old Kentucky 675, it made a noticeable difference in tone, but the bridge it replaced was no longer functional. My current 315 bridge is well fit and seems to be very stable. Though I'm sure that a CA bridge would make a positive difference, I don't know that I'll go that route in the foreseeable future.

The caveat: My 315 was purchased to be used as a nice "beater," so I don't necessarily feel like I need to trick it out or totally maximize it. That said, I really like the thing, and the more I play it the more I like it, so I am playing it more of late. I remain very impressed at the quality they're putting out at this price point. Yes, the tuners and TP are a bit chintzy and the bridge could be ebony, but the box and neck are really nicely built, the satin finish is nicely done, and those hardware "downgrades" are a big part of the reason they're able to hit the price point they're at. Glad you're enjoying your mando, and know that there are a lot of much higher priced mandos out there that I wouldn't trade my 315 for...

Mandoplumb
Jul-05-2016, 4:11pm
I agree that a tone guard will not noticeably affect all mandolins. The test that you are asked to do should be done by someone else and you stand across the room and listen. Holding my Dearstone away from my body while I'm playing makes a big difference, if I ask another picker to take it and I listen from 10 or 15 foot away I can't tell any difference.

Folkmusician.com
Jul-05-2016, 4:22pm
new tuners - I wouldn't, the stock tuners are fine.

CA Bridge. If fit well, will improve the mandolin. If poorly fit, could actually sound worse. Paying to have it fit well, will be expensive.

Travelite case. Depends if you need a new case.

Armrest - Totally a personal call there.

Tone-Gard. Works great. Will not fit in the Travelite case.

George R. Lane
Jul-05-2016, 5:58pm
Robert,
I have to disagree. My Weber Yellowstone w/Tone Gard fits into my Travelite case with no problems.

gtani7
Jul-05-2016, 9:08pm
We're up to 5 options? How about pickguard, or custom trussrod cover?

You can't get custom tuner buttons on there, but, based on one kind of wonky tuner on my Grover 309's, i would vote for Golden Age tuners (and a hard case).

(in which case you could order custom tuner buttons)

UsuallyPickin
Jul-05-2016, 9:45pm
Truly ..... save your money until you can afford a better instrument. Please understand that I am not dissing Eastman in the least. The mandolin is what it is, a well made low end mandolin. Any add on items are likely not to significantly improve either your tone or playability. Tuning keys if they are loose or grabbing can be lubed and tightened or loosened to "act right". Any properly fit bridge will perform well and better than an poorly fit one. If you are still playing on the factory setup and did not purchase it from a dealer the does their own set up work a better investment might be in a really good setup. Which if you are a handy sort you can do your self. Check out Rob Meldrum's set up guide, available here on the café for free. The recommendation of a tone guard is valid because it will allow the back of your mandolin to freely vibrate and add volume to your playing. It can also be moved to your next mandolin. Keep in mind that they do add weight to your instrument. But if you just enjoy adding different tail pieces or anything else to your established "ride" by all means enjoy..... R/

Mark Gunter
Jul-05-2016, 10:46pm
Chris, if yours came in a "gig bag" like the one my came in, this should be a no-brainer. What good are the other upgrades if your carryiing your mando around with no protection? The flimsy gig bag that came with my 315 is NO protection. I already know that you carry it about and play out, just like I do.

I am also planning to hold my Eastman for a long time, and want the marcata pickups, the tone gard, cast tailpiece and grovers eventually, but hard shell case has to come first.

MediumMando5722
Jul-06-2016, 4:54am
Thanks to everyone for opinions and suggestions. I'm going with a case for now. The local shop can sells Gator, so I'm going to check out the GL, which seems to be comparable to a Travelite.

LillianBelle
Jul-06-2016, 10:21am
I have the Gator for my F shape and the Reunion Blues Continental for an oval. If I were to buy another one, it'd be another Gator over the RB. I haven't seen a Travelite in person, but there are several people on MC who swear by them. The Gator is $80 on Amazon and the RB is $122.

Relio
Jul-06-2016, 2:03pm
I wouldn't do any of those "upgrades", since none of them will really improve your mandolin...

Instead, keep the money you've saved.. And save more... Then sell your Eastman... And buy one of the Collings MTs or Kentucky 1000 or 1500s that you can find in the classifieds in the $1500-$1700 range... You'll be much happier in the long run, I think...

This... keep saving... I don't think you can beat a Collings MT for the price. I had an owner of one of the major music store in Nashville tell me that unless you're looking to spend over $5,000, go with an MT. You will be amazed how bad an MT will blow the Eastman out of the water. If you insist on spending the money, I'd get the travelite case. I have one and like it.

allenhopkins
Jul-06-2016, 2:11pm
OP: Hi, I have ten bucks, and I'm hungry. Which of these menu items should I purchase?
1. Ham sandwich
2. Tuna wrap
3. Cobb salad
4. Carnitas burrito
5. Tofu veggie-burger

Assembled Cafe Wisdom: You should save your money until you can afford the prime rib.

Jus' sayin'...

MediumMando5722
Jul-06-2016, 3:47pm
^ Yeah, pretty much.

I appreciate the notion of getting a better instrument, but as I said before, I don't even really want to.

ccravens
Jul-06-2016, 3:58pm
That's an easy one.

Tofu veggie-burger, of course...

;)

Enjoy your case Chris!! Love my Travelite.

soliver
Jul-06-2016, 9:30pm
I just made my own armrest for my MD 305 and am amazed at how much I am liking it! http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/showthread.php?124976-Building-an-Armrest ...So if you are thinking about an armrest, they are not hard to make,... or PM me and I'll make you one :grin:

9lbShellhamer
Jul-07-2016, 6:22pm
Travelite OR CT55 with tonegard would have been my pick :)

Folkmusician.com
Jul-07-2016, 8:47pm
Robert,
I have to disagree. My Weber Yellowstone w/Tone Gard fits into my Travelite case with no problems.

I stand corrected! :)
I'll have to check this again. I recalled them being a very tight fit.

LillianBelle
Jul-07-2016, 10:16pm
I stand corrected! :)
I'll have to check this again. I recalled them being a very tight fit.

I think some of the Toneguards are different heights - my Eastman 604 with a Toneguard on fits into the Eastman shaped cased, but I am uncomfortable with how tight the fit is, particularly between the bridge and the top of the case. I've seen it mentioned elsewhere on here that people have ended up bending the Toneguard to get them to fit down a little closer to the back of the instrument. I haven't bent mine and it is almost 1/2" proud of the back on the instrument in places.