PDA

View Full Version : Old Wave Owners...

TeleMark
May-19-2005, 12:31pm
I'm in long-term planning mode, and have been spending a lot of time (virtually) at Old Wave Holler... Anyone interested in showing off their Bussmann-created beauties? I'm intrigued by the C# particularly, but all shapes and sizes are welcome here.

b.pat
May-19-2005, 1:15pm
Not a picture, but one just popped up on

E-Bay (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7324432301&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1)

Might be interesting to watch.

B.Pat

John Flynn
May-19-2005, 2:18pm
I have had this one now for a month. It's great! It seems to be getting better every day.
http://www.elderly.com/new_instruments/items/OW23.htm

ab4usa
May-19-2005, 4:19pm
No, the picture isn't reversed! On,ly leftys are in their right mind.

Lee
May-19-2005, 5:23pm
Gee, that C# on Ebay looks sweet, especially with an upgraded Weber tailpiece, a pickup, a strap button, and the cute little abalone on the points.

Daniel Nestlerode
May-19-2005, 6:00pm
http://www.elderly.com/vintage/items/90U-4216.htm
It's not mine, but I wish it was. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

Daniel

PhilGE
May-19-2005, 8:31pm
Here it is...
http://homepage.mac.com/philg2/.Pictures/OldWaveA/FrontLg.jpg

You can see more pix and hear some samples of it here. (http://homepage.mac.com/philg2/OldWaveA/OldWaveA.html)

-Phil

neal
May-19-2005, 10:01pm
I'll say it again. Phil, that's one geeeorgeous mandolin.

Lee
May-20-2005, 8:04am
#325 purchased new from Gruhn's last spring. The flame on the back is outrageous, absolutely sparkles in the sunlight, the tortoise binding sets it all off. And such a full clear rich tone. Spruce top and Penssylvania eastern maple back and sides. Being a Phila fellow myself, the local maple was the clincher.

Lee
May-20-2005, 8:08am
...and so, when this #340 A5 popped up on the Classifieds earlier this year I didn't hesitate. Wouldn't be surprised if it's the same woods. Has very woody tone, and a soft pop, not a real loud barker but extremely musical and pleasant.

Lee
May-20-2005, 8:10am
Both Old Waves have a neck geometry and fretwork I've seen equalled only on a Phoenix I used to own.

Lee
May-20-2005, 8:12am
...and in case you hadn't noticed, bidding has ended on the Ebay C#

stevem
May-20-2005, 11:14am
Lee, that darker A-5 looks sweet. If I were to imagine my ideal A model mando, it would be real close to that one. Congrats.

Lee
May-20-2005, 11:22am
Bill put the finish over the binding so it appears faded with age. And its not quite so glossy as the blonde, also to give it that vintage look.

RichM
May-21-2005, 8:50am
I sold this one a little while back, but it sure was nice when I had it...

mandomick
May-21-2005, 9:06pm
Here's a sample of Bill's non-traditional "mesquite madness". The C# is a 16" scale 'dola; both have mesquite backs, sides, necks and figured redwood tops from that batch of roofing shake that he got from Spruce. Also, both have ironwood fretboards and ironwood burl pegheads. The bridges are made by Bill too and I think they're ironwood but I'm not sure.

Got the mandola last August and loved the oval hole tone so much I figured an oval hole mandolin made of the same woods would have to be a winner. Took delivery just 2 weeks ago and the only way she's going anywhere is if Bill calls someday and says he's got one that sounds better! If you've never played an oval hole mando and you play by yourself most of the time, do yourself a favor and try one, you definitely won't regret it.

mandomick
May-21-2005, 9:09pm
That wasn't the one I wanted to post. I'll try a front view.

mandomick
May-21-2005, 9:11pm
Different backside.

mandomick
May-21-2005, 9:13pm
Pegheads

Lee
May-23-2005, 11:12am
Does this photo look familiar? It was posted on Ebay last week. The Buy It Now price was fair and reasonable and included free shipping. It has nifty little abalone inserts on the points. Should be here by the end of the week. John's Music has been wonderful to deal with.

Lee
May-23-2005, 11:14am
Looks like a one-piece back. See the abalone?
Mandomick; what a gorgeous pair!

otterly2k
May-23-2005, 11:23am
I'm jealous, Lee. Maybe I could come play it and and that nice blond oval too sometime...
KE

CountyFarm
May-23-2005, 11:38am
http://www.elderly.com/vintage/items/90U-4216.htm
It's not mine, but I wish it was. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

Daniel
Heh, a friend of mine tried to get me to buy that one to go along with this one http://webpages.charter.net/badinfo/photos/oldwave266.gif

as a back up. Would love to have two of em but Im still paying off the first one. Dont make a heck of a lot of $$ playing grass for a living lol.

mandomick
May-23-2005, 8:54pm
Both Old Waves have a neck geometry and fretwork I've seen equalled only on a Phoenix I used to own.
I'll second that. Both of mine came set up with the action set as low as as an electric guitar. Consistant string height the length of the neck and NO buzzing.

Never played or heard an Old Wave (except on David Long's Midnight to Memphis CD) prior to ordering the 'dola. Just took a shot after reading the threads and seeing pics on this board; have absolutely no regrets.

Lee
May-25-2005, 1:18pm
Hi Karen,
Appropriately, UPS will deliver the C# on Thursday, which just happens to be my birthday.
Karen, bring your Breedlove and we'll taste.
My search now is for a digital camera to assist with MAS recovery. On the chopping block soon will be a quite nice condition Dobro mandolin, and an old "Student" model Bacon oval-A in excellent condition, and a Gibson EM-200 Florentine, and a Dr.Z MAZ Jr. head with reverb.

Joe F
May-25-2005, 2:50pm
Thursday is my birthday as well. #Tell UPS to send me one too. #http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif

Lee
May-26-2005, 9:25am
Now it's my birthday. #358 is very pretty, the finish being similar to the #340 brownish A above. The photo makes it appear darker than it really is. Bill really does clean work, though the F-holes are a little rough on this one. The strings are loose and I can't play it here at work, argh.

otterly2k
May-26-2005, 1:56pm
Hey, Happy B-day, Lee!
Yes, let's plan a jam/tasting...will have to wait a couple of weeks tho... I'm planned up this weekend, and will be out of town the following 2...Mid-June oughtta work.
KE

Lee
May-26-2005, 2:27pm
You haven't seen the Pomeroy F either.
Yikes, just realized this new C# doesn't have fretboard markers.
Hey, Happy Birthday Joe!

Jim Garber
May-26-2005, 2:48pm
Yikes, just realized this new C# doesn't have fretboard markers.
As long as it has the markers on the side of the fretboard, it shouldn't be a problem. My main mandolin doe not have any markers on the front of the board either. I never really look at the fretboard anyway tho unconsciously I suppose I am aware when they are there and do use them , but Ii don't need them. if there were no markers at all, that might be confusing.

Jim

Joe F
May-26-2005, 2:50pm
Happy Birthday to you too, Lee. Enjoy picking your new birthday present!

Lee
May-26-2005, 3:44pm
Thanks Joe (tho I'd rather not think about it)
Yes, it has side markers so I won't be completely lost.
Its interesting that Bosendorfer makes their grand pianos with several extra keys at each end. The reason being that the strings will sound better being further from the edge of the soundboard. The extra keys come with covers because many pianists use the ends of the keyboard as a frame of reference so the extra keys throw them off visually.

Ted Eschliman
May-26-2005, 5:12pm
Lee, you know the only reason they put fretboard dots on mandolins is for the benefit of the banjo player (so he knows where you're playing in the key of G).
If one has the posture to actually be able to hunch over and see these on the frets, you'd be paying more money to a chiropractor than what the adding the dots cost...
Congrats again on a great purchase!

TeleMark
May-27-2005, 9:57am
Lee, you know the only reason they put fretboard dots on mandolins is for the benefit of the banjo player (so he knows where you're playing in the key of G).
If one has the posture to actually be able to hunch over and see these on the frets, you'd be paying more money to a chiropractor than what the adding the dots cost...
Congrats again on a great purchase!
Funny... Doesn't Thile play like that? Also funnier is that he doesn't use ANY markers on his mando...

http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/rock.gif

More pictures! This is great!

Lee
May-27-2005, 10:37am
This C# seems to have a clearer tone compared to the smokier(?)and woodier tone from the brown A5 above. The C# is a 2005 vintage so it should only get better. Really a nice mandolin, and once again it has one of the best playing necks I've handled.
Let me also add that the transaction with John Sturm at John's Music was a pleasure in every way. I'd jump at the chance to do business with him again.

johnsmusic
May-27-2005, 12:15pm
Why thank you , Sir. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

croonerexpress
May-27-2005, 12:41pm
Here is one that Cotten has in.

http://www.cottenmusic.com/images/Misc/Old%20Wave%20A%20front%20full.jpg

acousticphd
May-27-2005, 1:12pm

MMMmmmmm.

I don't think I would ever sell my '96 OW A5, but I could see myself maybe trading it toward THAT one. I like the new black headpiece overlay.

Lee
May-27-2005, 4:03pm
Bill says,
"#358 has a top of colorado engelmann spruce harvested in the
headwaters of the navajo river just over the state line from new mexico in 1999 by don musser. the back is wisconsin curly maple I got near mellen wisconsin just southwest of the upper peninsula of michigan on my trip to the cmsa convention in minneapolis in 97."
Who else would recall all this in such detail?

Ken Sager
May-31-2005, 5:20pm

MMMmmmmm.

I don't think I would ever sell my '96 OW A5, but I could see myself maybe trading it toward THAT one. #I like the new black headpiece overlay.
Sorry, Jeff, but that one is, um, sold.

That's all I can say right now.

http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif
Ken

acousticphd
Jun-01-2005, 12:42pm
Quote (acousticphd @ May 27 2005, 12:12)
Sorry, Jeff, but that one is, um, sold.
That's all I can say right now.

Ken [QUOTE]

Son of a .....
Boy, and to think I can just about see Cotton Music from my office here at Vanderbilt U. Maybe I should walk down there and try to play it before it leaves town.

Good deal, Ken. I had thought you had been consumed by the flesheating F5 MAS, and now glad to hear you're still appreciating a good A.

I'll have to scrape along with the OWs I have. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/sad.gif
Someday I swear I will post pics; I really do have the film removed from the camera and ready to be developed.

Ken Sager
Jun-01-2005, 1:20pm
Jeff,

I'm glad I'll finally have an OW mando to join my OW octave mando. Should be quite the pair.

It's probably already boxed and gone otherwise I'd encourage you to go play it. I should have thought of having you do that for me in the first place. Kim#at Cotten was terrific in helping broker a deal with the seller (it was on consignment) and I feel we both did well by it.

I got to play Kate's oval OW the other day which reminded me (as if I needed reminding) how fantastic Bill's A's are. It was an easy decision to buy the one at Cotten after that. And no, I haven't fallen completely into the F5 pit, even though I'm having Chris Baird build an F5 for me... birdseye maple, ebony appointments... I'll save that discussion for another thread down the road.

MAS is MAS, I love all mandolins equally and don't condone scrollism in any form. Next is a bowlback...

Take care,
Ken

Lee
Jun-02-2005, 5:35pm
Hey Ken, what's the serial number on that one?

Ken Sager
Jun-02-2005, 6:00pm
Cotten's site says #353.

Lee
Jun-03-2005, 12:45pm
I believe my #358 was completed in March 2005. Bill's quite prolific so yours must also be a 2005. Why on earth would someone have it on consignment? They're either nuts or hard up for money.

Ken Sager
Jun-03-2005, 1:18pm
No idea when it was finished or why it was sold. I also have #344 (octave mando) that he delivered in August, so that makes 14 instruments in ~7 months... If I had to guess I'd say #353 was probably in the December or January batch. Bill sometimes has 4-5 instruments going at the same time, so who knows.

Regardless, I'm just happy to give it a new home. I'll share more impressions after I work it out at home tonight.

Jun-04-2005, 12:02pm
I have probably the only Old-Wave A-Type in Austria. I am trying to post a picture but does not seem to work very well.

John Flynn
Jun-04-2005, 12:18pm

Beautiful instrument. Very nice. What number is it?

Jun-04-2005, 12:46pm
Nr. 289, received it about 2 yrs ago. Wonderful.

Lee
Jun-06-2005, 11:18am
That's a beautiful color, just a tad darker than a pumpkin, with a slight burst. I like!

Jun-06-2005, 1:54pm
Thanks.

Was a good feeling seeing the progress pictures, even though when I ordered it I must have sounded really stupid. ME: I want a kind of sunburst you know, but not too black like some of those and not too light, and sort of like the picture on your website except... bla bla bla..." BILL BUSSMAN:"You mean like a honeyburst?" ME:"Yeah I guess so".

Don
Jun-23-2005, 3:50pm
I received #369 last week and posted pics on another thread.Thought I'd post some here.
Don.

Don
Jun-23-2005, 3:51pm
Her's another of #369.

Don
Jun-23-2005, 3:55pm
Another of #369.

Don
Jun-23-2005, 3:57pm
Last one of #369.

Lee
Jun-23-2005, 3:58pm
Wow, amazing back. What is it? How's she sound?

PaulD
Jun-23-2005, 4:01pm
WOW... very nice! I love the figure/birdseye in that back... and one piece no less! What a score, Don, great work on Bill's part. Any shots of the sides and peghead? Is that binding black or tortoise?

Edit: Woops... the pics with the sides dropped in before I posted!

keithd
Jun-23-2005, 4:03pm
Don,

Truly spectacular - congratulations! I'd like to know more about the woods/binding too...

Keith

Don
Jun-23-2005, 5:07pm
Thanks for the kind words guys.I think it's a beautiful mandolin also.The back,sides and neck are birdseye maple.Was really very pleasantly surprised when I couldn't find that center seam on the back!The fretboard is ebony and radiused.There is a veneer on the peghead which makes a nice contrast.Don't know what kind of wood it is.I don't recall specifying a particular topwood,so can only assume it to be engleman,and I really like the idea of the rather wide grain.I would have asked for that had I thought of it.Essentially ,I had wanted a "blonde" A style oval hole mando,and had seen a pic of a mando Bill had made using birdseye maple, and was really impressed.I'm very pleased with what Bill did with mine.The binding is really dark with an occasional light fleck.The fleck is so occasional that I hesitate to call it tortoise.This one also has a bit wider neck with a "rounded" neck profile.
As for sound,with my limited abilities,musical and otherwise,I can only say the sound is very strong and well balanced.I'm almost afraid to think of how good it's going to sound down the road.
I also aown Old Wave #161 and it ain't no slouch either.
Don.

Don
Jun-23-2005, 5:14pm
Last one of #369.

Chris Baird
Jun-23-2005, 6:04pm
Don, Send my compliments to the chef, that is one lovely mando.

kyblue
Jun-23-2005, 6:08pm
Ditto.

Don
Jun-23-2005, 11:48pm
Oh...I forgot to mention...#369 plays like butter:)
Don.

Jun-24-2005, 6:23am
must resist..... Nr. 369 is really beautiful, am feeling MAS flaring now.

PaulD
Jun-24-2005, 1:11pm
Was really very pleasantly surprised when I couldn't find that center seam on the back!
Don... does this imply that you were surprised that it's a one-piece back, or that there's a center seam that is nearly invisible? Looking at the curl, I would swear it's one piece. I've found it's not easy to find birdseye in wide/thick pieces but maybe I just don't know where to look. I'm not used to seeing so much curl in birdseye, but maybe it's the finish that's bringing it out. In any case... this Old Wave and Chris' Arches birdseye mandos are two of my favorites I've seen posted here.

oldwave maker
Jun-24-2005, 3:22pm
That back was part of a barn full of 12 foot birdseye 2x12's near Richmond Vermont north of Rigelland about 300 yards from the Canadian border. At $3.60 a bd/ft in 1995 , wish I'd bought the whole pile. Has a quilty figure beneath the eyes.

Steve Davis
Jun-24-2005, 5:36pm
Beautiful. I'd like a C# with the same back. If my lottery numbers come in you'll be hearing from me. I love your work Bill. Of course if the numbers come in I'll have to but an Arches, a Lawrence Smart, a Ludwig, a Newall, A Hamlett...etc. You get the idea. The builders in this site are truly talented. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif

RichM
Jun-24-2005, 6:51pm
My C#....

RichM
Jun-24-2005, 7:27pm
... and the back!

PaulD
Jun-24-2005, 7:44pm
Wow, Bill... 2x12x12' of birdseye... at $3.60 bf??? What a score! Very striking... even more than most birdseye. I wasn't sure whether to call it "quilt" or "curl" but the figure behind the birdseye really got my attention.

It's got me tempted to "find" some money for a custom order. We're currently house hunting... I wonder if I could slip in some "home equity" money for "new furnishings?" http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/rock.gif http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif I need to do some serious scheming!

stevem
Jun-27-2005, 2:40pm
Nice one Rich. Very cool. Hey, that's not the C# that was for sale on ebay a few weeks ago is it?

acousticphd
Jun-27-2005, 3:40pm
Nice one Rich. #Very cool. #Hey, that's not the C# that was for sale on ebay a few weeks ago is it?

Yes, Rich - I want to know too. #That one went for like $1500, didn't it?