PDA

View Full Version : Would like help with identifying my Dad's old mandolin

2barkingdogs
Jul-02-2016, 3:34pm
I am trying to identify my Dads old Mandolin. The only marking is "2503" on the back of the neck. I have identified the case it is in and it's a GEIB Challenge case which was introduced in 1928. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Marvino
Jul-02-2016, 4:01pm
you could start by googling "Dobro mandolin" or "Regal resonator mandolin" see what matches.

allenhopkins
Jul-02-2016, 4:03pm
Your instrument is a Dobro mandolin, which means that the wooden body was made by Regal in Chicago, most probably, and the resonator, which consists of the metal parts -- resonator cone, "spider" bridge, and coverplate -- was made by the Dobro Company, also in Chicago. These were sold under both the Dobro and Regal nameplates. It's probably from the 1930's; Dobro was founded in 1928, when some of the Dopyera brothers left the National Guitar Co. and started their own line of resonator guitars. The "moons and stars" coverplate was often found on Dobro and Regal resonator mandolins; the upper-bout f-holes may have been a little more common on Regals, with some of the Dobros having round "screen holes" instead.

I've tried with little success to track Dobro mandolin serial numbers, which is probably what the "2503" represents; perhaps another Cafe member can do a better job of it. If your resonator coverplate is marked "National Dobro Co.," as mine is, it will be post-1935, when National and Dobro merged.

2barkingdogs
Jul-02-2016, 5:25pm
thank you so much. You are a wealth of information. I did do some research on it and everything points to it being a 1930's Regal and the resonator being made by Dobro. Thank you again.

MikeEdgerton
Jul-02-2016, 8:47pm
A similar instrument can be found in this (http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/showthread.php?85555-Dobro-Resonator-Mandolin) thread.