PDA

View Full Version : New Paul Shippey 'Tone' mandolin

DaveL35
Jun-29-2016, 2:27pm
It's finished and I have it!
And I have to say that I have nothing but praise for Paul's professionalism, craftsmanship and attitude. The process of acquiring this mandolin has been a huge pleasure.

This is Paul's carved-top oval-hole instrument that these days is known as the 'Tone' mandolin. For my mandolin we chose an Engelmann spruce top, English sycamore back and sides, and mahogany neck. The finish is extra dark brown gloss (top) and brown sunburst (back).

I am, of course, delighted. The tone is sweet and powerful. Many mandolins have a slightly weak E string - not this one.

And here's a video; a few Irish tunes. My playing is a bit uncertain as I hadn't had any time to get used to the new instrument, but I hope it gives a good idea of the sound it delivers.
Apologies in advance for the fact I'm not very photogenic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrW41c_8JLk

cayuga red
Jun-29-2016, 2:35pm
Congratulations on your very beautiful and fine sounding Shippey! Enjoy it in good health.

Lord of the Badgers
Jun-29-2016, 3:07pm
Oh I dunno Dave, i was thinking what a fine figure of a man! :)

yeah, that's as good as when I heard it, and it will only open up and get better :) the finish is amongst the best i've seen. stunning instrument. Did you try his zouk? That's addictive too...

DataNick
Jun-29-2016, 3:15pm
Congrats, and nicely done!

Rob Beck
Jun-29-2016, 3:19pm
Congratulations Dave, that is a lovely looking and sounding mandolin. In the video I love the way the light shows off the recurve :)

Nice triplets in your playing too!

Anglocelt
Jun-29-2016, 5:40pm
Nice Mandolin and nice playing Dave. I like your choice of tunes. Do you know their names - in particular the first jig?

Kevin

DaveL35
Jun-29-2016, 6:10pm
@Rob the Badger
Paul did show me a bouzouki, and a fine piece of work it was too. I prefer a smaller bodied instrument - I like a very 'wiry' bouzouki tone - but that's just me.

@Anglocelt
The first jig is one of the many tunes written by east Galway fiddler Paddy Fahy (b. 1926) - he doesn't give names to his tunes so there are loads of them that are all known just as Paddy Fahy's. The second is known as Gallagher's Frolics.
The reel I believe to be a composition of Mayo fiddler John McGrath (1900-55) who emigrated to the USA in the late 1920s, so I'd just call this one John McGrath's. Having said that, it was recorded by Kevin Burke and Jackie Daly on their classic LP 'Eavesdropper'; it's titled Andy McGann's on that record and often goes by that name. But I suspect the connection here is that maybe Kevin happened to have learned it from Andy McGann.

Dave Hanson
Jun-30-2016, 12:17am
I've had my Shippey mandolin for 15 years, it sounds great and is one of the easiest playing instruments.

No doubt one Brittains luthiers, congrats Dave, yours sounds excellent, it will only get better over the years.

Dave H

Ivan Kelsall
Jun-30-2016, 1:16am
What a coincidence !!. I had a visit from a UK Cafe member yesterday (can't remember his Cafe name), who brought along his Paul Shippey mandolin for me to look at & play. IMHO,the build quality / fit / finish was as good as any i've seen -flawless. The most surprising things however,were the tone & volume. The tone was beautifully 'full & open'. Lovely resonant G & D strings & the trebles were as clear as a bell. The volume was quite amazing as well. Playing chords on it produced as much volume as you'd ever care for. Maybe not as 'crisp' as a standard F5 style mandolin (more 'resonant' = different construction),but amazing nevertheless !. If i were in the market for a mandolin of that style,i'd order a Shippey in less than a heartbeat - it was that nice.

Ivan

Lord of the Badgers
Jun-30-2016, 1:56am
@Rob the Badger
Paul did show me a bouzouki, and a fine piece of work it was too. I prefer a smaller bodied instrument - I like a very 'wiry' bouzouki tone - but that's just me

I string my Forster in the more jangly way. Paul's inspired me to go unison and heavier string wise. Gonna see how my old buchanan responds to that... and compare it to Paul's

Tavy
Jun-30-2016, 4:58am
Very nice looking mandolin - congratulations!

Shelagh Moore
Jun-30-2016, 5:28am
Looks very nice but I'm getting a very distant, muddy sound from the video... could be at my end though, is anyone else experiencing problems with that?

Frankdolin
Jun-30-2016, 6:30am
Man, that is one beautiful mandolin! Enjoy!!:mandosmiley:

Lord of the Badgers
Jun-30-2016, 7:02am
Looks very nice but I'm getting a very distant, muddy sound from the video... could be at my end though, is anyone else experiencing problems with that?

On my iPhone I get that issue, but not on my mac. Seems to be a mobile safari issue for me. I should've said!

Lord of the Badgers
Jun-30-2016, 1:23pm
Hi. Paul uploaded a clip that works better (he hopes)

Saw this on facebook.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykjiKrMP3Aw&feature=youtu.be

Shelagh Moore
Jun-30-2016, 1:59pm
Thanks Paul (and Rob). Yes... that's much better and yes, it's an excellent sounding mandolin! Cheers, Richard

DaveL35
Jul-05-2016, 7:00am
If anyone wants to hear more, I made a recording of a couple of tunes this morning:
https://soundcloud.com/dave-lees-1/the-fishermans-island-the-fermoy-lasses

Ron McMillan
Jul-05-2016, 11:42am
If anyone wants to hear more, I made a recording of a couple of tunes this morning:
https://soundcloud.com/dave-lees-1/the-fishermans-island-the-fermoy-lasses

They sound great, and from your playing, it's already apparent you've fallen for the instrument, and no wonder.

Tosh Marshall
Jul-12-2016, 4:52pm
Super instrument from a super luthier......love my Shippeys......Enjoy Dave, sounds great.........fab finish......Paul strikes again.....