PDA

View Full Version : "...for Dummies" books any good?

morgon
Jun-24-2016, 5:39pm
HI,

I just stumbled upon a strange anomaly on Amazon where "Mandolin for Dummies" and "Mandolin Exercises for Dummies" cost EUR 24.90 each, but when you buy them as a set you only pay 16.67 (for the whole set!).

So I wonder: Are these books any good? Would they be suitable for a beginner? Would it make sense to work through such books in parallel to taking classes?

Many thanks!

MikeEdgerton
Jun-24-2016, 6:09pm
The author of both books is an excellent mandolin player and a highly regarded member of the cafe community. The forward of the first book was written by the owner of this site. We like them.

OBDVKDiF7aI

George R. Lane
Jun-24-2016, 6:12pm
Yes, they are very good and what a great buy. I would order them as soon as possible. Don Julin is a great teacher and the audio uploads are a great help.

Bill McCall
Jun-24-2016, 6:28pm
I enjoy my copies.

JeffD
Jun-24-2016, 7:47pm
Mandolin for Dummies is real good. I haven't perused the exercises book (yet).

bingoccc
Jun-24-2016, 8:59pm
I have a few beginner's mandolin books. MFD is the best of the bunch by far. I don't have the exercises book yet.

DavidKOS
Jun-25-2016, 2:33am
Add one more "Yes" vote, the MFD book covers a lot of territory very well. It's very well written and both comprehensive enough for long-term players to learn something and yet accessible to beginners.

The "for Dummies" series really belies the title, the books are usually great. I learned more from "Pro Tools for Dummies" than from the actual Avid course material.

Ray(T)
Jun-25-2016, 10:22am
For those on this side of the pond, there are several independant sellers on Amazon UK offering these two books at a good discount. I just paid £15.31 inc. postage.

JH Murray
Jun-25-2016, 10:36am
Also check out Don Julin's videos on Youtube. He is a great treasure.

Emmett Marshall
Jun-25-2016, 1:04pm
I found "Mandolin for Dummies" to be very informative and helpful. It is dense with great info and is a pleasant read. As another has said above, the sound clips are also really helpful. I would recommend the book to anyone, at any level.