Marc Berman
Jun-23-2016, 7:41pm
Sad Day

Tom Sanderson
Jun-23-2016, 7:44pm
R. I. P.

DataNick
Jun-23-2016, 7:45pm
Celebrating The Stanley Brothers Legacy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4CtLA1jC20

Fretbear
Jun-23-2016, 7:54pm
"Won't you bear me over for another year......"

Mark Gunter
Jun-23-2016, 7:56pm
Sad news http://bluegrasstoday.com/ralph-stanley-passes/

Tom Sanderson
Jun-23-2016, 7:58pm
https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1158276634238819&id=431403616926128

Mark Gunter
Jun-23-2016, 8:01pm
Rank Strangers, live

1eLxTZIDP_o

multidon
Jun-23-2016, 8:02pm
I think it's "won't you spare me over for another year". Not to be a nit picker.:)

But my condolences as well. One of the most memorable concerts I have had the pleasure of attending. When he sang "O Death", it made the hairs on the back of my neck stand up.

FLATROCK HILL
Jun-23-2016, 8:04pm
White Doves are mourning in sorrow...

sgarrity
Jun-23-2016, 8:05pm
The progenitor of the mountain sound. RIP Dr. Ralph!

Scott Tichenor
Jun-23-2016, 8:12pm
Playing a Louis Meyers tribute show Monday in Kansas City. "Hills of Home" which we like to do will take on a special meaning. Rest in peace.

Timbofood
Jun-23-2016, 8:15pm
Great photo Scott!
I feel so priveliged to have seen as many of the first generation of the music, words fail me. I was lucky indeed.

Scott Tichenor
Jun-23-2016, 8:21pm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I16YOPmmZbs

Timbofood
Jun-23-2016, 8:33pm
Nice choice there Scott!

JeffD
Jun-23-2016, 8:35pm
Rip

Scott Tichenor
Jun-23-2016, 8:39pm
First time I can ever recall seeing someone from the bluegrass world trending on Twitter.

Timbofood
Jun-23-2016, 8:45pm
Strong influence from "Oh, brother where you at?"
I will never forget that quote from him but, sadly I do not recall where from it came.

lukmanohnz
Jun-23-2016, 8:54pm
Oh what a large life he lived, and what a hole his passing leaves in the bluegrass firmament... R.I.P. Dr. Stanley.

Don Grieser
Jun-23-2016, 8:59pm
He was a true road warrior, playing hundreds of shows a year for 60+ years. That's a hard life. I'm sure O Brother finally gave him a good pay day for all that work.

I got to open for him in Gallup, NM in the pre O Brother days. He was very generous as was his band. Gentlemen and friendly, every one. RIP.

bigskygirl
Jun-23-2016, 9:53pm
Saw him at the Birchmere years ago...RIP Doc...gonna play a little Clinch Mountain Backstep at the jam tonight...

Cheryl Watson
Jun-23-2016, 10:15pm
RIP, Ralph Stanley. I'm happy that you had a long and accomplished life. I would have loved to have met you.

Jack Roberts
Jun-23-2016, 10:19pm
A legend. We were blessed to be alive while he was.

CES
Jun-23-2016, 11:31pm
Prayers for his friends and family. I wish I'd had the opportunity to see him live and meet him...

Ivan Kelsall
Jun-23-2016, 11:55pm
I was very fortunate to have seen Ralph Stanley twice in my life. Once with Carter at The Royal Albert Hall in 1966,& once with his band at the Edale Bluegrass Festival (now defunct) many years ago. As a banjo player myself,he was always a favourite of mine & i just loved the hard,driving sound of his playing. He came to the UK some years ago & played in Manchester where i live. At that time he'd quit playing banjo,& simply stood on stage to sing. I decided not to go as i'd rather remember him at his best,& that's how i always will remember him.
I got to speak with him briefly at the Edale festival & he was really tickled to hear that i'd been at The Royal Albert Hall back in '66. Later that year of course,Carter passed away,
R.I.P. Dr. Ralph Stanley

f5loar
Jun-24-2016, 1:32am
I learned so much from the Stanley Brothers. The first time I saw them was in Charlotte, March of 1965. It took this photo of Ralph b backstage. 147537

grassrootphilosopher
Jun-24-2016, 2:48am
Rest in peace.

I saw a double feature at the Ryman, namely Bill Monroe & The Bluegrass Boys and Ralph Stanley & The Clinch Mnt. Boys in the summer of ´94. It was a great show and it was inspiring to see them perform together. But all good things come to an end.

If you take into consideration Ralph Stanley´s age, the fact that it was recently anounced on bluegrasstoday.com that Ralph II would take over the Clinch Mnt. Boys and robif´s recent thread on banjohangout.org to keep Ralph in your prayers, Ralph´s passing did not come as a surprise.

"My latest sun is sinking fast,
My race is nearly run;
My strongest trials now are past,
My triumph is begun.

Oh, come, angel band,
Come and around me stand;
Oh, bear me away on your snowy wings
To my eternal home;
Oh, bear me away on your snowy wings
To my eternal home.

I know I’m near the holy ranks
Of friends and kindred dear—
I hear the waves on Jordan’s banks,
The crossing must be near.

I’ve almost reached my heav’nly home,
My spirit loudly sings;
Thy holy ones, behold, they come!
I hear the noise of wings.

Oh, bear my longing heart to Him,
Who bled and died for me;
Whose blood now cleanses from all sin,
And gives me victory."

Paul Busman
Jun-24-2016, 5:18am
I think it's "won't you spare me over for another year". Not to be a nit picker.:)

But my condolences as well. One of the most memorable concerts I have had the pleasure of attending. When he sang "O Death", it made the hairs on the back of my neck stand up.

I'd never heard of Ralph Stanley until I watched O Brother Where Art Thou. Hearing O Death during that film had the same effect on me. What an astounding voice.

Skip Kelley
Jun-24-2016, 5:31am
So sad! RIP Ralph!

David Houchens
Jun-24-2016, 6:19am
Ralph will be greatly missed. Ralph and Tony Ellis are my two favorite banjo players.
RIP Ralph.

Frankdolin
Jun-24-2016, 6:45am
Rest in Peace Mr. Stanley, You had a great run...

Tom C
Jun-24-2016, 8:28am
What a classy man. When I saw him play at Town Hall in NYC, I was there early. The lobby area was empty as nobody went in yes. but I saw Ralph sitting all alone. I was able to go in and speak with him about 1/2 hr. I happen to have front row center seats, so while he was talking to the audience about O'Brother, Like..who has seen the movie...he was mostly looking right at me while talking.

blawson
Jun-24-2016, 8:30am
I'm originally from Coeburn, VA, a small town that sits just down the mountain from the Stanley home on the ridge. As a kid growing up, I would regularly see the "Ralph Stanley & The Clinch Mountain Boys" tour bus sitting, parked in the Marty Shopping Center in town. (As a kid, I foolishly didn't see what the big deal was with this local "old man".)

I recall a few years back, post O Brother, visiting my mother back home and we went for a stop at the post office in town. A nice black Mercedes -- not standard transportation in that part of coal country -- pulled up, and Dr. Ralph stepped out, in a sharp black suit, also headed to the P.O. It was nice to see he had a measure of success, yet still smiled and gave a friendly hello in passing.

Caleb
Jun-24-2016, 9:08am
What a VOICE that man had, with an ability to evoke such haunting feelings and imagery. It was like listening to something out of the deep past. Truly one of a kind.

George R. Lane
Jun-24-2016, 9:23am
I can't add anything more than has already been said, just a great loss to the world.

allenhopkins
Jun-24-2016, 9:41am
Saw Stanley with the Clinch Mountain Boys once, in the 1970's at a local college. Another of that "first wave" of bluegrass musicians gone. Who's left? Jesse McReynolds, Mac Wiseman, Curly Seckler, Paul Williams, J D Crowe, Bill Emerson, Del McCoury -- those who played in the late 1940's and early '50's, a distinguished and diminishing band...

Really too bad that the "Bill Monroe and the Stanley Brothers" band that was contemplated in the '50's never formed, due to Ralph's car accident, I believe (?). That would have been something else.

Michael H Geimer
Jun-24-2016, 11:05am
Came here today to pay respect. Just heard the sad news on NPR. Fresh Air is about to re-broadcast an interview on my local station.

mandroid
Jun-24-2016, 11:12am
"Oh Death" recording & film Royalties will, certainly cover the Funerary Costs.

Johnny60
Jun-24-2016, 12:29pm
"When you go walking after midnight" - a fantastic bluegrass song with such a great bluesy feel. RIP

JAK
Jun-24-2016, 3:28pm
NPR Radio, "Fresh Air," broadcasting an interview with Ralph (1:oopm - 1:30, in San Francisco, June 24), 88.5 fm radio. It will be in NPR archives.

Andrew B. Carlson
Jun-24-2016, 5:15pm
See you in that next place brother Ralph.

oK27xTPDdCk

UlsterMando
Jun-24-2016, 7:05pm
Met the man back in the 90s and a great honour it was.
One of my all time favourite artists. He leaves a great musical legacy.

tburcham
Jun-24-2016, 7:19pm
A voice instantly recognizable is gone and legions of fans and friends mourn his loss. Rest in Peace Dr. Stanley.

Willie Poole
Jun-24-2016, 9:05pm
One year at the festival in Arcadia Md. my band was to go on before Ralph`s so I asked if it was OK to do two of his songs and he said I could do all I wanted as long as we didn`t make his band look bad, as if we ever could....That is the one and only time I ever spoke to him but his fiddle player Curly Ray Kline seen me picking in the field later that day and he told me Ralph had said that we did his songs as well as anyone he had heard do them, what a compliment coming from the great man himself...The two songs were Rank Strangers and The Fields Have Turned Brown, my all time favorite Stanley Bros. songs....

RIP Ralph.....

swampstomper
Jun-25-2016, 5:47am
I promoted Ralph and the "classic" Clinch Mountain Boys (Roy Lee Centers, Jack Cooke, Curly Ray Cline) + teenage Skaggs & Whitley in Ithaca NY high school in February 1972. This was during the period of those great Rebel LP's which we bought from County Sales... terrible vinyl but tremendous music. They drove overnight in a small camper from the previous night's gig in Vienna VA, slept in the camper in the high school parking lot, and put on a tremendous show all for $600. The "contract"? It was a letter from me to him, a return letter simply saying "yes I will play" and a verbal agreement over the phone. I can remember as if it were yesterday the intensity from the first song (a rousing Katie Cline) to the last... high points were Keith's solo on Barbara Allen, of course Jack Cooke Sitting On Top of the World (heard it many times, never got old), Katie Daley with Roy Lee sounding chillingly like Carter Stanley, twin fiddles on "Cry from the Cross", Ricky and Ralph picking my special request "Daybreak in Dixie" and of course Ralph's clawhammer on Shout Little Luly. We should not mourn his passing; 89 years and so much music and legacy is more than enough for one man. Instead let's celebrate by picking some of those mandolin solos from Ricky Skagg's younger days on those Rebel LPs.

AlanN
Jun-25-2016, 7:02am
Ralph's style of bluegrass after Carter's passing was raw, simple, honest. I have a cassette release of Michigan Bluegrass, with a young Skaggs and Whitley. Rock Bottom, Ain't It Hard and all the others were great. I saw him in the 80's, when he had the great James Alan Shelton, Jr. Blankenship, Curly Ray, Steve Sparkman (who picked like Ralph, same right hand). In the last period, he had some local boys in the band, Dewey Brown and Jimmy Cameron. The last time I saw him, he came out stage, hands clasped, and sang some ensemble things for part of the set, no banjo. Very moving.

RIP, Dr. Ralph.

Willie Poole
Jun-25-2016, 11:00am
a great article in today`s Washington Post saying "If Mt. Rushmore was in the south Ralph`s face would be on it"...A real interesting article by a local writer that spent a lot of time with Ralph and Skaggs...I guess it can be Googled.....

I have listened to his music ever since I was a teenager and never realized how many people with different walks of life he touched with his music...his likeness should be placed on a pedestal somewhere, perhaps at the Bluegrass Hall Of Fame someday....

Willie

Mark Wilson
Jun-25-2016, 11:46am
Ralph's style of bluegrass after Carter's passing was raw, simple, honest. perfect - he was all that

Steve Sorensen
Jun-28-2016, 9:26am
An honest tribute from a lifetime friend --

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZJWcMNgtOk

JimY
Jun-29-2016, 4:03am
We saw Ralph Stanley here in London UK a couple of times - once when he came on stage with his leg in plaster! What a trouper. (He had Art Stamper fiddling with him that night too. Wow!)

hank
Jun-29-2016, 5:35am
Up early this morning drinking a bit of coffee and find myself transported thru time to my Grandmother's floor while watching those early videos. Wow! Wonderful old memories of another world and time I thought I had forgotten. It was there with my grandmother that I drank my first cup of coffee watching those same and many more performances by these great artist. Really makes me miss her and her love of these country gospel songs. Mr. Sorensen's blade reminds me how much has changed to still be the same as I finish this second cup of Sumatra Bold.

Charlieshafer
Jun-29-2016, 6:32am
For me, the greatest show of respect for a musician is how his legacy escapes the time capsule effect, and how it influences younger musicians. Ralph Stanley will be around for a long, long time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rkexK1XUFXQ