PDA

View Full Version : New to the forum

howdo3313
Jun-21-2016, 12:07pm
Hi all,

New member here.
Just a post to say Hello. And offer a clip of my first performance on mando.
I am a drummer by trade, and play mostly in rock outfits. Though as a child I spent much time at country, and bluegrass festivals via my grandparents...so there is a love there.

Had a banjo as a teen, and picked up guitar along the way too. Mandolin came later...a lot later...really just in the last couple of years. But I absolutely love playing it. It's too much fun.

Anyway, this past Friday...what was that the 17th I got my first opportunity to perform on mando. It IS with a Led Zeppelin tribute, so I am sure a few here will pass over this...but as someone who doesn't really ever get up to the front of the stage, this was big for me.

Really want to find my way into the country/bluegrass music I heard as a kiddo. Rock and roll is great and all. But as I get older I realize I haven't spent much time on the music of my childhood years. And that's what has my heart.

Cheers, and all the best. And thank you for being here :)
Christopher.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hy-cHV61160

howdo3313
Jun-21-2016, 12:12pm
Fixed ;)

Marc Berman
Jun-21-2016, 12:22pm
Great job!

Rob Beck
Jun-21-2016, 1:39pm
Sounds good to me! Nice work :)

DataNick
Jun-21-2016, 2:05pm
Welcome Christopher!....and nicely done!

...and that singer does sound a bit like Robert Plant...cool!

Denny Gies
Jun-21-2016, 2:13pm
Welcome to the fray. Not bad for a drummer. Now get serious and get into that bluegrass.......much more fun. Good luck.

Charles E.
Jun-21-2016, 4:51pm
As a Rock and Roll drummer who plays mandolin, you are in good company. The late Levon Helm of The Band also played mandolin.

Welcome the the Cafe.

9lbShellhamer
Jun-21-2016, 10:00pm
Very cool to hear something different. Thanks for sharing

howdo3313
Jun-21-2016, 11:14pm
Aw, thanks guys. I definitely aim to move forward, and get serious:)
It certainly doesn't feel like "work" to me...not to say that it isn't...just so fun. So the hunkering down of it all, just doesn't seem a bother. But rather a joy to do...if you catch my drift.

I fully admit to knowing the Zeppelin material really well, before I got asked to do the acoustic numbers. So I have been looking at some of the youtube videos that are out there, in an effort to get myself more familiar around the fretboard...and reacquainting myself with EADG rather than EB(GDAE) like on guitar or bass. It's been a lotta years since I had the banjo, so I am definitely readjusting again. But it's truly awesome.

Thank you guys as well for the kind comments on the band itself. For those that know Zeppelin, our aim was and is to do more of the live oriented stuff...some of their jam-outs could last 20+ minutes, and changed from night to night. Improv within a framework I suppose.

As it stands currently, I am using a really beat up A Epiphone, and the Smoky Mountain F that is in the video clip.
I would really love any recommendations on pick up, and or mic selection and placement, specifically for bars with talkers...but also for "softseat" venues in and around the 500cap range.
Also any recommendations on a more intermediate mandolin...something with a bit more meat to it, y'know?

Thanks again everyone...very happy to be here.
And Levon is a hero for sure;)
Christopher

Skip Kelley
Jun-22-2016, 6:01am
Christopher, welcome to the café! Nice playing; thanks for sharing!

Mike Scott
Jun-22-2016, 9:45am
Nice! Sorry, I have no knowledge of pickups or that kind of stuff. I am sure if you provide more specifics re what mandolins you may be interested in, you will get more options than you want or need-ha ha. You may want to visit some of the Cafe sponsors to get some ideas.........

howdo3313
Jun-22-2016, 11:24am
Slowly but suredly I am making my way around the forum...and checking out the sponsors too.
Personal preference for me is old gear, all the way around(drums, guitars, basses)...so most likely mandos too.
I like stuff that's been lovingly played, and has a bit of the previous owner(s) mojo.

The reason for pickup options, is mainly so i don't have to deal with a mic...at least when doing the Zeppelin thing. We're a loud band, and the FOH changes from venue to venue. So I suspect it would probably be easier on everyone to just be on a pickup, instead of a mic.

Being still very new at mando in live sound applications, I guess I am just looking for something that is fairly easy, but sounds decent...for a basic starting point.

That said, I found a Batwing here in Ontario(thank you, James)...I hear they're not so great...however it would fulfill things for the Zeppelin band's aesthetic...and the price is okay, so I'm going to see about that.
Also though...in my searching I also found a couple of A Gibsons that look pretty alright, and have nice prices as well.

I fear I may have to unload one of my old Jazzmasters >.<

Charles E.
Jun-22-2016, 7:45pm
Hey Christopher, I don't know if you are aware of the version of "Going to California" by the Dave Rawlings Machine featuring Jon Paul Jones on mandolin..........

Keep up the good tunes and enjoy the mandolin journey.

howdo3313
Jun-23-2016, 10:26pm
That's killer Charley. Love it...might like it better than the original;)
It's nice to hear it with a different vibe...and with the harmonies Dave's mates are putting in there.
Very cool. Thanks bud:)

gtani7
Jun-24-2016, 12:59am
Also any recommendations on a more intermediate mandolin...something with a bit more meat to it, y'know?

Thanks again everyone...very happy to be here.
And Levon is a hero for sure;)
Christopher

Hey, i enjoyed the vid! Keep posting (pls).

Best is to drive around to string dealers by you and see what they got. You can read reviews/peruse classifieds of intermediate instruments like: Eastman, Kentucky, Howard Morris, Breedlove, j Bovier. You might find vintage-y Flatiron and Gibson A's under US$1200. Also maybe try Fender and Eastwood 8 string electrics.

So try to play a bunch and see waht neck shape/fret size/fingerboard width and radius you like, if you want a pickguard, bridge height above the spruct top, etc. While you're at it, try lots of different picks, different string sets (steel, bronze, flatwound, GHS silk/steel, DR, d'addario etc)

howdo3313
Jun-26-2016, 3:26pm
Hey, i enjoyed the vid! Keep posting (pls).

Best is to drive around to string dealers by you and see what they got. You can read reviews/peruse classifieds of intermediate instruments like: Eastman, Kentucky, Howard Morris, Breedlove, j Bovier. You might find vintage-y Flatiron and Gibson A's under US$1200. Also maybe try Fender and Eastwood 8 string electrics.

So try to play a bunch and see waht neck shape/fret size/fingerboard width and radius you like, if you want a pickguard, bridge height above the spruct top, etc. While you're at it, try lots of different picks, different string sets (steel, bronze, flatwound, GHS silk/steel, DR, d'addario etc)

Awesome...thank you for this. Although I myself don't drive, I have been reaching out to a few of the shops I regular, and have been trying out a few things here and there. Still trying to nail down this Harmony, for the Zepband...but am also talking to a cat about an electric Fender with the hockey stick headstock.

I generally go between flatwound, and nickle 11's with a wound G, on my jazzmasters...I quite love the sound coming off them.
But also on my jr I keep 10's. And generally prefer a fatter pick...but found a soooper thin one in with the Smokey Mountain mando, when I got ahold of it...it's pretty fun and easy to use.

Slowly but suredly:)
And yes I will post more vids, as I have em.
Cheers, and thank you.
Christopher

P.S. Discovered that Sierra Hull girl the other day...she's awesome. Holy moly. :)

howdo3313
Jun-26-2016, 3:29pm
Ooops, forgot to add...working on Jerusalem Ridge.
And this old Hendrix tune, that I accidentally found a couple of riffs from while working out scales.
Might be a bit, but it's coming;)