PDA

View Full Version : Any info on these cat eyes mando?

Reprobus
Jun-16-2016, 6:02am
While looking to buy another mando my amateur eye stumbled upon this weird piece of instrument:

The owner described it as "family instrument lying at the bottom of the wardrobe for years". There is Otwin logo on the headstock and Rima on the tailpiece, so its German origin is at least pretty clear at this point. Unfortunnately google didn't help me with any further reference.

I didn't really wanted to buy it but I must admit it has spured my interest as I cannot find any info on that model. I'm especially curious if the pickups are custom on this one.

The owner is supposedly not a player so he coudn't provide me with any further info as well.

I appreciate any info on the instrument as well as your personal thoughts.

bbcee
Jun-16-2016, 6:23am
To tide you over till the experts wake up, Otwin was an East German company. There's some info and additional links here:

http://www.jedistar.com/jedistar_vintage_guitar_dating_o2.htm

Otwin is near the bottom.

KIND of looks like a Framus, which I guess makes sense.

Reprobus
Jun-21-2016, 7:12am
Definitely the similarity to Framus is visible.

It's really cheap... I guess i'll buy it out of curiosity...

Yes, somebody please talk me out of it.

vic-victor
Jun-23-2016, 1:57am
GDR instruments were not too bad compared to other Eastern block made ones. It could be half decent, especially if the top is solid.

Reprobus
Jun-23-2016, 7:19am
Thank you for your answer Vic-victor. I just got it today and the first thing I can say: it is LOUD. For real, cracked top and old incomplete strings and it still is the loudest mando I've heard.

Unfortunately as I've metioned there is a small crack on the topside near the tailpiece. I really hope a luthier will be able to fix this because at the first glance it really looks like one fine instrument.

As I've written in my first post the pickups got me interested. The Mandolin is indeed somewhat electrified. I've played a few electric instruments in my life but can anyone tell me what am I supposed to do with this?

http://img19.staticclassifieds.com/images_tablicapl/387170833_7_1000x700_mandolina-rima-otwin-_rev002.jpg

vic-victor
Jun-24-2016, 7:04am
can anyone tell me what am I supposed to do with this?

Looks like an old European two pin socket. Probably a home made setup. Put two naked wires in and some matches to hold them in,connect to amp and see what happens. If it works change the socket with a standard one. If not you can either re-wire, which is not that easy or just use it as an acoustic instrument.