PDA

View Full Version : what mandolin is in this song?

jfrebel
Jun-14-2016, 8:01pm
I really like the sound of the mandolin in this song. was curious if anybody here either knew what it was or if not specifically could recognize the type of mandolins with similar tones. or can any mandolin get this tone and it's just technique? I like how it has clarity and isn't muffled and has a ringing sparkle but also warmth and fullness and just sings. I love slow songs like this and expressive yet simple mandolin solos like ones in this tune. They move me emotionally more than the fancy pyrotechnics stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tY2UVGr2qeA

Ivan Kelsall
Jun-15-2016, 12:40am
Well,it's from the record ''Ralph Stanly & Friends - Clinch Mt. Country'' which came out in 1997 - so,did Ralph have a mandolin player in his band at that time or is it a sideman playing ?. Unless you can find some ''deeper'' info.than what's available on the 'net,it's anybody's guess. I dug ''deeper'' - Looking at the County Sales website does mention that mandolin player ''John Rigsby'' ( i thought that it was a mis-print for his brother Don Rigsby) was with the Clinch Mt Boys at the time.
Here's what was written on the Cafe by John M.Riley back in 2005 re. ''Buckeye mandolins'' - "I played one about 6 months ago and it seemed real impressive. It belonged to John Rigsby who was Ralph Stanley's former mandolin and fiddle player. "
So,there you go - it could very well be John Rigsby on his Buckeye mandolin.
Ivan;)
PS - But what brand / gauge of strings & what make/thickness/shape of pick is he using ?. All those contribute to the tone of a mandolin.

jfrebel
Jun-15-2016, 2:48am
now I'll need to google buckeye mandolin. LOL

thanks! that gives me stuff to go on anyway. :)

Mandoplumb
Jun-15-2016, 5:13am
This question reminds me of a friend of mine that once looked at a picture of a band " in song" and tried to figure out what song the were singing by the shape and position of their mouth LOL

Ivan Kelsall
Jun-15-2016, 8:05am
jf - It would be better to try to contact John Rigsby directly if possible - if he can even remember what brand of strings etc. he used back in 1997. Even if you got your own Buckeye mandolin & rigged it out with ''whatever'' - it wouldn't sound like John Rigsby's Buckeye for many reasons - but it might sound ''as good - but different'', if you get my drift. Judging by what i've read about Buckeye mandolins on here,they're pretty highly regarded,
Ivan;)

CES
Jun-15-2016, 8:22am
jf - It would be better to try to contact John Rigsby directly if possible - if he can even remember what brand of strings etc. he used back in 1997. Even if you got your own Buckeye mandolin & rigged it out with ''whatever'' - it wouldn't sound like John Rigsby's Buckeye for many reasons - but it might sound ''as good - but different'', if you get my drift. Judging by what i've read about Buckeye mandolins on here,they're pretty highly regarded,
Ivan;)

And, can't discount the recording set up. Also, not saying this is the case here, but many artists will have preferred instruments to record with that they don't play on the road (to preserve them, honor endorsements with other companies, etc). Rhonda Vincent's use of her Doyle Lawson Gibson comes to mind. Hunter (her fiddle player) plays it some live, but the last time I saw her she was on her Weber the whole show. So, agree...if you can get in touch with Mr. Rigsby, that's probably your best best.

Also, was Adam Steffey still with AKUS in '97? Can't recall, but he's done a ton of session work as well. Agree the song is very nicely done!

Ivan Kelsall
Jun-15-2016, 8:39am
Adam Steffey was still with AKUS in 1997 - ''So Long So Wrong'' was his last recording with them. I'd have to go along with the notion that if on this recording,Ralph Stanley was using his full band (who are crediited),then it's most likely John Rigsby on mandolin - Also,Adam's not credited with being on this recording in his discography,

Ivan:mandosmiley:

Bertram Henze
Jun-15-2016, 8:46am
Sounds to me like there might be some "wet tuning" involved, i.e. string pairs one or two Hz apart, adding a soft and hollow flavour to the sound.

jfrebel
Jun-15-2016, 9:21am
This question reminds me of a friend of mine that once looked at a picture of a band " in song" and tried to figure out what song the were singing by the shape and position of their mouth LOL LMAO! to be fair I didn't expect anybody to be able to listen to this and identify the exact mandolin. I figured either somebody would know who played for ralph then and what kind of mandolin they had or could tell by listening if it was an F hole or oval, and other things like if it was a nylon string thing or just how you play it. the wet tuning thing for example mentioned above me is awesome sounding I'm gonna try that. I won't be getting any new mandolins any time soon even a buckeye, but was curious. I have a pava on the way. I hope I can get it to sound sort of like that. I' won't be getting a new mandolin soon though. but its nice to know what I might get next when I can. think of that as planned MAS for the future. LOL

jfrebel
Jun-15-2016, 9:24am
lots of good info here. I didn't know who played mandolin for ralph or that they also played for alison, or that he was able to be contacted. nor about wet tunings.nor about buckeye mandolins. this thread has been very fruitful indeed. thanks!

as stated above, I got a pava coming soon. I hope I can get it sounding this good even if it sounds different.

barry k
Jun-15-2016, 10:42am
John Rigsby was Ralph's mandolin player at or around that time. He had prefered A model mandolins, and was playing either a homemade by a cousin, stewmac kit A model. Or , one of mine , a K&G. " Kratzer and Gresham" I think # 9. He now plays a Red Diamond.

Ivan Kelsall
Jun-17-2016, 1:33am
Hi Barry - If you read my first post,i said i'd done a bit of 'digging' on the 'net - very few pics of John Rigsby,but the ones i did find show him playing an "F" style mandolin. That said,he could have had a few mandolins to choose from,including one of yours.
jfrebel - Re.your 'Pava'. I suspect that in tone,it won't be a million miles away from my Ellis "A" style.Tom Ellis's 'go-to' strings,are GHS A270's & my Ellis sounds terrific with those on it. If you like the tone of yours 'as it comes',check with Pava or Tom & ask what strings they are - most of all,enjoy it,
Ivan

9lbShellhamer
Jun-17-2016, 9:31am
Regardless... Buckeye mandolins are pretty sweet. I have had the chance to hear a few and they are nice!

terzinator
Jun-23-2016, 10:46am
My first introduction to Buckeye Mandolins was hearing Jorma Kaukonen, Jack Casady and Barry Mitterhoff doing Hesitation Blues on Minnesota Public Radio.

Thankfully, they made a video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_aQtq-BnK6c